Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Cervelo TT and Triathlon Bikes
Quote | Reply
Hey everyone, Eric Reid here, FIST certified full-time bike fitter here in North Carolina.

I'd like to start this thread in conjunction with Cervelo to help prescribe the right bike for you. You may have noticed a couple of new offerings from Cervelo, not to mention three interoperable mono-risers to fit the two new bikes. This thread will help you select not only the right size frame but the right mono-riser and front end configuration including basebar configuration, riser type, riser height, pad width, pad tilt (or not) and extension shape. There's a lot going on here and you have a lot of options.

This thread is about *fit*. Your fit. I want you to be optimized... comfortable and powerful and ready to put down some fast bike splits based on a good position on the right size bike. What I won't be talking about is availability, customer service, comparative aerodynamics, the pros and cons of high hands and short cranks, or maintenance. There are other threads here on the forum for that, and you can also contact your LBS. For information on the new P5d, see HERE. For information on the new P3x, see HERE. And for information on the new mono-riser systems, see HERE. You can also reference the P5d and P3x threads on the forum as well.

Rules of Engagement for this thread is to post your Pad X and Pad Y (pad stack and reach), and if you know it, your Pad Z (pad width) as well as the bike that you're interested in. Remember, we're measuring to the *back* of the pads for these bikes. If you're not sure which bike, let's talk about what you're going to be using it for and go from there. If you're not sure about your fit coordinates, I'll walk you through it. If you're not sure your fit is a good one, I'll try to recommend you a competent fitter. Fit coordinates from a fitter will yield the best results in prescribing a new bike.

OK, so Pad X, Pad Y, and Pad Z to back of pads....

Let's begin.

Eric

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Cervelo TT and Triathlon Bikes [ericMPro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey Eric

I'll go:

Pad X: 630 (top of pad)
Pad Y: 430 (rear pad)
Pad Z ~150

Currently have pads angled 12* up, on an (old) P5 in 54. I am very happy with my current fit.

Would ideally like to get the new P5d, but I also potentially have a good deal on a P5X available to me. Generally race full IM. The new P5d however has enough storage for my needs.

According to my own calculations using the Cervelo fitting tool, I'm probably ideally a 51 P5 (seems the 54 is a little long for me?), M in P5X / P3X.
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Cervelo TT and Triathlon Bikes [ericMPro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks Eric. Currently on a 54 P5 pads all the back, High V, no spacers. 640/425 (yes, back of pads). The z on my pads are 20 cm, center to center, and 30 cm outside to outside. 59 yr old, typically right at the very top of AG bike splits.

Let me know if you need anything further. Interested in your thoughts.

David
* Ironman for Life! (Blog) * IM Everyday Hero Video * Daggett Shuler Law *
Disclaimer: I have personal and professional relationships with many athletes, vendors, and organizations in the triathlon world.
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Cervelo TT and Triathlon Bikes [david] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
david wrote:
Thanks Eric. Currently on a 54 P5 pads all the back, High V, no spacers. 640/425 (yes, back of pads). The z on my pads are 20 cm, center to center, and 30 cm outside to outside. 59 yr old, typically right at the very top of AG bike splits.

normally i'd leave this to eric, but because you and i have a history, and because we started this on the other thread last week, i'll add my $.02.

my mistake. you're a 54cm., if you're 425 to back of pad. and as you see, you're barely a 54cm with your position. you're a 54cm or a 56cm in your pad height (you could, technically, ride anything from a 51cm to a 58cm, and you can see perhaps why i wrote that this bike is very height adjustable, but with the P5's front end is less adjustable lengthwise).

you do seem to me a candidate for the P3X's front end, unless you can clearly get that pads back far enough on the stock front end. there's 45mm of fore/aft adjustment per size in the default bar.

that's not much. this bike is a lot like the scott plasma premium in that regard, when limited to this front end: your fore/after, per size, is limited to the holes in the pads. very height adjustable, not as length adjustable. but you're within a centimeter. so you're close. i'd try it as is. but if it won't fit to your satisfaction, you'll need to sub the P3X's front end on this bike.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Cervelo TT and Triathlon Bikes [david] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi Eric,

Currently at 665/467 (both measured at back of pad) with 10° tilt and have been very happy with this setup. I dont have pad Z but its middle of the road and will be fine on any setup im sure). Currently ride a size M Speedmax CF SLX.

I think the above would put me on a 56 P5d with the P3x riser cockpit...?

My uncertainty is the stack height of the basebar, relative to the pads. I currently run the riser basebar on my speedmax, which I like, but concerned the P5d basebar will simply be too low. Do you know what the stack heights are for this? I also don't know if the P3x baserbar is also interchangeable for example to use the rise it features?

I'm really only interested in the P5d to be honest so after reassurance it will work (or not!). The P3x simply doesnt do it for me and the storage on the P5d is entirely sufficient for my usage across all distances.

I'm not close enough to an LBS to check this stuff out myself.

Thanks in advance!
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Cervelo TT and Triathlon Bikes [SAvan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
hi Savan,

for P5d, the EX11 mono-riser that comes with the bike will provide plenty of width, but would not provide the tilt you like without an aftermarket solution.

That said, for a Y of 630 and X of 430, you're coming in on either a 51 or 54 P5d. Depending on how you feel about your fit and your height, the 54 would allow for more future "growth", but I think the 51 would be perfect, despite being towards the upper end of the stack range.

If you selected the EX10 tiltable mono-riser, you could achieve 10 or 15 degrees of pad tilt.

Finally, for that coordinate ratio, you're slightly high for the amount of reach you have... for example on a size 54 P5d you'd be center-high on the stack range but be all the way at the back of the reach range. I'm wondering about that. How tall are you?

Eric

SAvan wrote:
Hey Eric

I'll go:

Pad X: 630 (top of pad)
Pad Y: 430 (rear pad)
Pad Z ~150

Currently have pads angled 12* up, on an (old) P5 in 54. I am very happy with my current fit.

Would ideally like to get the new P5d, but I also potentially have a good deal on a P5X available to me. Generally race full IM. The new P5d however has enough storage for my needs.

According to my own calculations using the Cervelo fitting tool, I'm probably ideally a 51 P5 (seems the 54 is a little long for me?), M in P5X / P3X.

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
as Dan said, and like Savan, you are at the upper end of the stack range in size 51 and at the back end of the reach range on a size 54 for the P5d w/ EX11 Riser. You are definitely a candidate for the P3x EX10 front end if you want to choose the P5d, it will widen the reach range fore and aft.

Eric

david wrote:

Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Cervelo TT and Triathlon Bikes [Polo_1272] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes, size 56 in P5d and with the P3x EX10 tiltable mono-riser set at 10* of tilt.

On the P5d, the pursuit bar is inline with the top tube essentially. You'd have about a 12-14cm drop from your pads to your bull horns, dropping from a pad stack of 665mm to the frame stack plus 20mm or so of 541mm.

Eric

Polo_1272 wrote:
Hi Eric,

Currently at 665/467 (both measured at back of pad) with 10° tilt and have been very happy with this setup. I dont have pad Z but its middle of the road and will be fine on any setup im sure). Currently ride a size M Speedmax CF SLX.

I think the above would put me on a 56 P5d with the P3x riser cockpit...?

My uncertainty is the stack height of the basebar, relative to the pads. I currently run the riser basebar on my speedmax, which I like, but concerned the P5d basebar will simply be too low. Do you know what the stack heights are for this? I also don't know if the P3x baserbar is also interchangeable for example to use the rise it features?

I'm really only interested in the P5d to be honest so after reassurance it will work (or not!). The P3x simply doesnt do it for me and the storage on the P5d is entirely sufficient for my usage across all distances.

I'm not close enough to an LBS to check this stuff out myself.

Thanks in advance!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Much appreciated, thank you.

EDIT: sorry - is the P3x baserbar interchangeable or is it just the mono stem assembly?
Last edited by: Polo_1272: Mar 25, 19 9:13
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Cervelo TT and Triathlon Bikes [Polo_1272] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
the P3x basebar is flippable on the P3x. It is not usable on the P5d.

However, the P3x EX10 mono-riser is usable on the P5d.

Does that answer your question?

Polo_1272 wrote:
Much appreciated, thank you.

EDIT: sorry - is the P3x baserbar interchangeable or is it just the mono stem assembly?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ericMPro wrote:
the P3x basebar is flippable on the P3x. It is not usable on the P5d.

Yes - the above is exactly the confirmation I was after. Thanks again.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for pointing me to the appropriate place. I’ll go ahead and ask for assistance on both my wife and my fit.

My wife:
Reach: 405
Stack: 520
Pad width (suspect): 210
Saddle height: 659
She tried 155 cranks but the first go didn’t feel good and she went back to 165
She is not currently able to ride in this position. It came off a Guru fit bike session. She is trying to get more aerodynamic. She is still able to ride at the front of the women’s pro field in most full Ironman. Since she is still trying to find a good position it would be great to have some room for adjustment, but I know that’s asking a lot. Am I right in seeing that the p3x and p5x front end have a difference in stack height? I think her best bike would be p3x because she has her own hydration and usually starts with 3 bottles. Unless she could do the double bottle on front end but that’s probably too complicated.

Since I’m here I’ll ask about me
Reach 473
Stack 555
Width 210 ...that’s why I said I was suspect of her’s
Saddle height 739.
History of bike racing and I had a pretty successful “legal” TT position. I lost track and I have been happy with “tri” fits since then, but maybe it’s my fitness I’m not happy with.

Thanks
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Cervelo TT and Triathlon Bikes [Nochainrider] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
OK first let's start with you and then move to the subject of your wife.

For you, you are a size S in P3x, long and low. Pad holder flipped forward and pads set in the +80mm setting. Riser set at 17. If you choose the P5d, you are just slightly lower than the stack of a 51cm P5d. You can achieve a stack of 558 and reach of 473 with the pads in the 2nd furthest forward position.

Now, your wife. I'm not her fitter but I'm hearing some red flags... not liking the 155s and switching back, and also your statement that she is not currently able to ride the position I'm looking up. Getting more aero is not just about getting lower, so I'd recommend you re-engage with her Guru fitter and explore the issues that are holding her back.

That said, yes, the P3x is slightly higher than the P5x. However because of your comment about her not being able to sustain the position, I'm really curious. Her stack of 420 is about 15-20mm too low for a P3x or P5x *or* a size 48 P5d. Are you sure of those coordinates? What bike is she currently riding.

Finally, please excuse my ignorance, but I recognize your screen name... who is your wife?

Eric

Nochainrider wrote:
Thanks for pointing me to the appropriate place. I’ll go ahead and ask for assistance on both my wife and my fit.

My wife:
Reach: 405
Stack: 520
Pad width (suspect): 210
Saddle height: 659
She tried 155 cranks but the first go didn’t feel good and she went back to 165
She is not currently able to ride in this position. It came off a Guru fit bike session. She is trying to get more aerodynamic. She is still able to ride at the front of the women’s pro field in most full Ironman. Since she is still trying to find a good position it would be great to have some room for adjustment, but I know that’s asking a lot. Am I right in seeing that the p3x and p5x front end have a difference in stack height? I think her best bike would be p3x because she has her own hydration and usually starts with 3 bottles. Unless she could do the double bottle on front end but that’s probably too complicated.

Since I’m here I’ll ask about me
Reach 473
Stack 555
Width 210 ...that’s why I said I was suspect of her’s
Saddle height 739.
History of bike racing and I had a pretty successful “legal” TT position. I lost track and I have been happy with “tri” fits since then, but maybe it’s my fitness I’m not happy with.

Thanks

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks Eric
I’m 175cm tall, FWIW I have my saddle at 750mm.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hello.
Please help me...
This is my measure taken on my Cervelo P5-six.
I pretend to move to new P5d.
tks a lot

Cervelo P5d and R5 Owner

Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Cervelo TT and Triathlon Bikes [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks. AND, not trying to "double post." Eric is down the road so helping him w/ data points. Again, so sorry for previously giving you middle pad instead of back of pad.

David
* Ironman for Life! (Blog) * IM Everyday Hero Video * Daggett Shuler Law *
Disclaimer: I have personal and professional relationships with many athletes, vendors, and organizations in the triathlon world.
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Cervelo TT and Triathlon Bikes [caodecaca] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi,

with a Pad Stack of 655 and a Pad Reach of 451 you are either a 54cm or 56cm P5d.

With the 54 you will have a riser position of 81 with the pads in the +30mm position, and with the 56 you will have a riser position of 63 and the pads at +15.

You'll be at the upper range of the 54's stack... the 56 might give you more flexibility with future adjustments.

Eric

caodecaca wrote:
Hello.
Please help me...
This is my measure taken on my Cervelo P5-six.
I pretend to move to new P5d.
tks a lot

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
First, thanks for doing this.

Pad Reach-475(Back of pad)
Pad Stack-692
Z plane -187 CtoC
Saddle height 839

Currently on a 61 P2 with PD Svet Zero bars w/Sonic brackets and Ergo pads

Looking at the P5d for next season, but i'm at the very tippy-yop of fitting on the 58. I could go for the P3x or P5x but like the P5d better if i'd fit
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Let's give this a go when you find a minute...

Measured to top rear of pad:
Arm Pad Reach: 460mm
Arm Pad Stack: 555mm
Arm Pad Drop: -140mm
Saddle Height: 717mm
Saddle setback: -50mm
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Oh I’m sorry I didn’t explain more clearly. Neither of us are in the positions I have quoted on our current bikes, but the problem is that our current bikes can not achieve that position. I have successfully ridden a lower position in the past myself . I am currently riding a medium speed concept and she is on a small. Neither of us can go lower on our current bikes. I have learned that I could achieve my “new” position on her bike.

I think she and I would readily admit that she is not settled on fit coordinates, but she needs to make a choice of cervelo. Likely either p5d or p3x. I am just trying to help continue her fitting process with the most room for change on her new bike.

Chris Morales and my wife is Katie
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Cervelo TT and Triathlon Bikes [Nochainrider] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
doesn't team suunto have a contact within cervelo? they can likely offer additional insight into her fit and how a cervelo would work. a quick browse of instagram suggests she has room to work with on her actual real world position, so being able to implement the suggested fit would be nice. (she actually sounds like an XS Premier Tactical perfect candidate, but of course that's not possible).
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Cervelo TT and Triathlon Bikes [Tall_Coffee] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
OK,

with a pad stack of 692 and pad reach of 475 you're a size 58cm P5d w/ the riser set at 81 and the pads in the +30 setting.

While you are at the top end of the range, you could do quite a bit more with the EX10 riser instead of the stock EX11. You'd also get the tilt option if you did that.

Eric

Tall_Coffee wrote:
First, thanks for doing this.

Pad Reach-475(Back of pad)
Pad Stack-692
Z plane -187 CtoC
Saddle height 839

Currently on a 61 P2 with PD Svet Zero bars w/Sonic brackets and Ergo pads

Looking at the P5d for next season, but i'm at the very tippy-yop of fitting on the 58. I could go for the P3x or P5x but like the P5d better if i'd fit

Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Cervelo TT and Triathlon Bikes [TriFluid] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
With that fit you're pushing the boundary of low stack on a 51cm or the reach of a 48cm. Lowest you'd be able to get is 558mm on the 51. You could however ride a size 48cm P5d but with the EX10 riser from the P3x to get the reach you need.

On the other hand, you'd be good to go in a size Small P3x, with room to spare.

Eric

TriFluid wrote:
Let's give this a go when you find a minute...

Measured to top rear of pad:
Arm Pad Reach: 460mm
Arm Pad Stack: 555mm
Arm Pad Drop: -140mm
Saddle Height: 717mm
Saddle setback: -50mm

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you like, send me a PM and we can talk in more detail.

Eric

Nochainrider wrote:
Oh I’m sorry I didn’t explain more clearly. Neither of us are in the positions I have quoted on our current bikes, but the problem is that our current bikes can not achieve that position. I have successfully ridden a lower position in the past myself . I am currently riding a medium speed concept and she is on a small. Neither of us can go lower on our current bikes. I have learned that I could achieve my “new” position on her bike.

I think she and I would readily admit that she is not settled on fit coordinates, but she needs to make a choice of cervelo. Likely either p5d or p3x. I am just trying to help continue her fitting process with the most room for change on her new bike.

Chris Morales and my wife is Katie

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So P4 or DA? ;)
Quote Reply

Prev Next