Re: TriDot and IM Team Up [Sbernardi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No one has ever benefited from an Ironman association/sponsorship deal IMO//

For sure the list would be very short, but not no one;

TIMEX for starters
Quote Reply
Re: TriDot and IM Team Up [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Monty - You beat me to that response. The Ironman Timex watch was a winner for both companies! Z
Quote Reply
Re: TriDot and IM Team Up [tomziebart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tomziebart wrote:
Monty - You beat me to that response. The Ironman Timex watch was a winner for both companies! Z

And likely the one and only....

Kiwami Racing Team
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sbernardi wrote:
No one has ever benefited from an Ironman association/sponsorship deal IMO

Are you sure?

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Quote Reply
Re: TriDot and IM Team Up [GaryGeiger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i would say blue70 worked ok i cant even remember the brand name they had before blue 70 ...
Last edited by: pk: Dec 12, 23 5:01
Quote Reply
Re: TriDot and IM Team Up [toddsuttortri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
toddsuttortri wrote:
As someone who has never used TriDot, how does it even work? Do the athletes have any relationship with the coach or does an athlete pay the monthly cost to say they are coached by Mark Allen? I imagine Mark Allen would have no issues filling an athlete roster if he had a limited number of athletes he can coach and have a meaningful coach-athlete relationship with. I see TriDot as quite clickbaity with having big names associated with the brand.

I am not a big fan of the partnership. I see it as two corporate companies partnering and competing with independent coaches as Ironman tends to do with independent races.

I did not know what Tridot was but then read the press release and thought it would be bad for individual coaches.

Here is what I see that is wrong. You need thiving local communities for this sport to do well. Local race organizers, local on the ground coaches, local traditions, local champions, local age group personalities, local training groups and so on.

Often local coaches can be key "hubs" between all of the above. Tridot is not going to be a "hub" of a local tri community, but a local coach can be.

And by killing the local tri scene, Ironman ensures that the sport gets older and older and eventually there is no youth backfill to sustain the sport.

So Houston, its like we have a rocket already in flight, and we're painting NASA logos on the thing already in flight and putting partner logos on the rocket, but eventually she's gonna run out of fuel and we're not building the next space flights.
Last edited by: devashish_paul: Dec 12, 23 4:17
Quote Reply
Re: TriDot and IM Team Up [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
1.) This is arguably one of your most succinct posts and I love you for it.
2.) Rare time of reply = endorsement. Exactly my thoughts.

----------------------------------
Editor-in-Chief, Slowtwitch.com | Twitter
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
5150 needs to come back to save tri. Or some competitors, but those failed eventually
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
While yes by default this platform is adding another cook into the coaching kitchen, I also see where local coaches can take advantage and win the "long game". Someone in this very thread mentioned they see importance of coaching but don't want to pay for coaching. So I think that's what this platform is going to solve. The majority of this platform is going to crush the $30-$100 monthly subscriptions that give you a daily workout with no interactions/feedback. And where I think the local coach can win the long game is this- they can stack upon this for the athlete who likes the structure by adding the value of their input. The athlete who decides a year after doing this service, "imagine what I can do with even better interactions". And then they see the same local coach at races or being pushed by the local run store, etc that's where the local coach can gain from this. I don't necessarily think the $100 tridot athlete is going to automatically go into the $300 TriDot coached service vs pursuing other local coaching options.

The percentage of athletes who want full time coaching is always going to be small. Granted many coaches these days include "planned" workouts as part of their coaching packages; so instead of getting fully customized program, your basically getting a 16 week cookie cutter program at a reduced rate.

So I'll be curious of the TriDot users using the $30-$100 vs use the premium "full coaching" platform. I'd doubt even 10% of the users use the top service over the next few years imo.

(I've probaly gotten 40% of my athletes after athletes did some type of "cookie cutter" program from various platforms (I dont offer "training plans") and wanted more direct help; and my monthly rate is standard $250/month; I dont do any of that gold/silver/bronze, and yes I've discounted my price for long term athletes, etc)

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Last edited by: B_Doughtie: Dec 12, 23 8:55
Quote Reply
Re: TriDot and IM Team Up [B_Doughtie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'll weigh in here as a person who uses the Tridot platform (the $30/mo version), who is also skeptical of some of the company claims and wary of the MLM feel of the company at times.

I like the basic platform, and I've used it for the past 18months through some running races, olympic distance, 70.3 and full IM. I've enjoyed the framework of the workouts, and the gamification of training. It bases training zones on your current fitness levels, which it collects at relatively frequent intervals. Bottom line is for $30/mo, it's given me motivation to train. As an injury prone person, I've not had any issues.
Could I do better with a different plan? maybe. Could I do better with a coach? Probably. But I don't have time or money for that.

This works for me for the time being.
Quote Reply
Re: TriDot and IM Team Up [B_Doughtie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Do you think whatever workouts the automated tridot plans put together is a better value than the trainer road plan that tailors your workouts around races you input into a calendar with goal times?

I paid 30/mo for a season for trainer road and used most of its bike plan workouts, and did my own swimming and running plan, occasionally but rarely using the trainer road ones.

I canceled that a few months back and just write my own now and load them into my garmins.

If tridot came with some bike trainer subscriptions or automatically loaded into your bike computer and controlled your bike trainer and loaded the runs into your watch, I'd see paying 30/ month for their auto plan as a solid value. If I'm still having to signup for trainerroad which offers its own plan builder I don't have enough faith that tridots plan are more magical than TR. Consistency is the biggest gain, followed by periodization, which I think is pretty solid in TR if you use their race calendar. I assume tridots is also good, but why spend an extra subscription over the trainer app?

Still, you have to be willing to adapt for travel, fatigue, work, etc. And make that work, but as long as you're not one of the top 3 in a competitive national race AG it's all good enough for solid results. And building a low dollar product at the top 3 in big Ironman event AGs isn't really what 30/mo tridot is after. Those athletes will likely have or be a coach right?
Last edited by: Lurker4: Dec 12, 23 14:40
Quote Reply
Re: TriDot and IM Team Up [Lurker4] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Lurker4,
Hope this helps but one of the main reasons I like tridot is that it automatically pushes my bike and run workouts to Garmin. I’m sure that there may be other training plans that would help me perform better. However I have a kid on the way and already limited time. For the time I put into it, I feel like I’m getting good results (podiuming at local/nearest metro races but pack fodder at IM events; however my PR keeps dropping).

In response to the comments about local coaches: my local coach was on Tridot. I probably would have looked for something with higher % z2 otherwise. However I like triathlon for the community and most everyone in town is on Tridot. Team workouts are way better than solo!

MB
Quote Reply
Re: TriDot and IM Team Up [mrboomerang] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
As a coach, not on tridot, I was intrigued as i have recently renewed my Ironman coaching certification, so had a webinar and then a 1-on-1 with their business development person who tried to explain the benefit of becoming a tridot coach. My take is that they are heavy into selling the platform to those who are not looking for a coach but might like the AI approach of a structured plan, rather than buying one of Trainingpeaks or downloading of the internet. Bringing your athletes into the Tridot platform will cost you as a coach as they take a small percentage and the cost is on a sliding scale, so there is no benefit there. What they do push is that perhaps athletes who looked to be coached but then do not want the expense you as a coach sell the tridot platform to them as an alternative and you can get a percentage of what these athletes sign up to. You also have to pay $50pcm as a coach and then have coach platform access for your athletes, similar as you have on Trainingpeaks. As stands I am waiting for tridot to send me login details so that I can have a free month of understanding the system from the coaches portal and perspective. My gut feel and reading between the lines is that the AI plans are not very goal orientated, which you can get with a coach and the plans they produce will get you to to the start line and finish your event, hence the proclaim of injury prevention as you are not pushed very hard to achieve, but that is just my thought without trying out tridot
Quote Reply
Re: TriDot and IM Team Up [shaper] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
shaper wrote:
As a coach, not on tridot, I was intrigued as i have recently renewed my Ironman coaching certification, so had a webinar and then a 1-on-1 with their business development person who tried to explain the benefit of becoming a tridot coach. My take is that they are heavy into selling the platform to those who are not looking for a coach but might like the AI approach of a structured plan, rather than buying one of Trainingpeaks or downloading of the internet. Bringing your athletes into the Tridot platform will cost you as a coach as they take a small percentage and the cost is on a sliding scale, so there is no benefit there. What they do push is that perhaps athletes who looked to be coached but then do not want the expense you as a coach sell the tridot platform to them as an alternative and you can get a percentage of what these athletes sign up to. You also have to pay $50pcm as a coach and then have coach platform access for your athletes, similar as you have on Trainingpeaks. As stands I am waiting for tridot to send me login details so that I can have a free month of understanding the system from the coaches portal and perspective. My gut feel and reading between the lines is that the AI plans are not very goal orientated, which you can get with a coach and the plans they produce will get you to to the start line and finish your event, hence the proclaim of injury prevention as you are not pushed very hard to achieve, but that is just my thought without trying out tridot

Hey there!

Was there any follow up to how this endeavor ended up? Good, or bad? As a person looking between a cookie cutter plan I have trusted in the past vs moving to TriDot I would be interested to see what you have learned over these first few months!
Quote Reply
Re: TriDot and IM Team Up [Jlsommer93] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jlsommer93 wrote:
shaper wrote:

Hey there!

Was there any follow up to how this endeavor ended up? Good, or bad? As a person looking between a cookie cutter plan I have trusted in the past vs moving to TriDot I would be interested to see what you have learned over these first few months!

No real progress with Tridot, I briefly looked at it from a coaches POV and decided I prefer the TP format that am use to. I am on one of the Tridot facebook groups, as like to keep an eye on users discussions and feedback, tip, tricks and gripes. Biggest issue seems to be the lack of integration with Zwift, the workouts you have to download and then import into Zwift, rather than have it automatically integrated with workout of the day. Also it also seems to be hit and miss having the workouts sync to garmin. So I may go back and look at some point, but did not see the benefit as a coach, maybe I am missing something.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dev, I appreciate and support this post 100%

DL

-------------------------
Dave Latourette
http://www.TTENation.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sbernardi wrote: