Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Tipping Culture [JerseyBigfoot] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JerseyBigfoot wrote:
windywave wrote:
If they say the massage is 100 bucks and they charge you 100 bucks what do you care if the tip is included

If the cost of a massage is USD100, why would the tip be included? That’s the cost of the service. I don’t understand the point you are trying to make.

If they say the massage will be 100 bucks and that's what they charge you, what do you care how they classify it?

Now if they say the massage is 100 bucks and you get charged 120 bucks automatically because the "tip" is included that's a different thing entirely.
Quote Reply
Re: Tipping Culture [spockman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
spockman wrote:
They raised restaurant staff to regular minimum wage where I am not. 17 an hour. So what do I tip. Generally I go with 10 percent. Not tipping for take out. People are having trouble making ends meet and minimum isn't a lot so still have to tip. Besides that restaurants are having trouble staffing.

Funny thing is that tip, even if it counts as a gift, is a taxable income. If you are audited by the tax office (Canada Revenue Agency), even if the tip is untraceable because it was in cash, the tax office will assume that it was 15%, even if you were tipped nothing. So you must declare tips on you tax return. But if you apply for a loan or mortgage, tips don't count as income.
Quote Reply
Re: Tipping Culture [chxddstri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
chxddstri wrote:
my wife brought our 18 year old daughter to a swanky spa for an hour massage. It was a spring break "gift" for our daughter, since she is a loner at school, and spent her vacation week at home with her parents. thought it would be something nice for her.

true to form, my wife and daughter arrived about 5 minutes late for a 5pm appointment (last session of the day). massage started at 5:15pm.

since it was the last session of the day, my wife figured the therapist would go until 6:15. Not at all. She wrapped things up right at 6pm. Understood. whatever. that's her decision.

when its time to pay, my wife finds out that tip is "included" in the price. There is an option to tip more, if you want...but no option to tip less.
Tip is just included in the hourly cost of the massage session.

My wife let it go, mainly because she didn't want to make a big deal out of it in front of our daughter. didn't want her to feel bad about the cost.

Makes me think of a Seinfeld episode about the rental car reservation, with no car available. "I know what a reservation is, sir". "I don't think you do"

I don't think they know what a tip is, and that is why the therapist had no incentive to run the session a full hour.

On the one hand, the tipping thing is what it is. It's not really a tip, if you don't get to decide whether you're leaving it or not based on service. It's just an additional part of the cost, and it lets the spa make it seem like their treatment costs less than it actually does. They get to say a massage is $80 plus $20 tip, but what that means is their massages actually cost $100.

On the other hand, you don't really get to schedule a particular time for a massage, show up late, and then complain about them not running past your scheduled end time. They presumably have other clients, and it's your wife's fault they got there late, not the masseuse's.

Slowguy

(insert pithy phrase here...)
Quote Reply
Re: Tipping Culture [windywave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
windywave wrote:
JerseyBigfoot wrote:
windywave wrote:
If they say the massage is 100 bucks and they charge you 100 bucks what do you care if the tip is included

If the cost of a massage is USD100, why would the tip be included? That’s the cost of the service. I don’t understand the point you are trying to make.

If they say the massage will be 100 bucks and that's what they charge you, what do you care how they classify it?

Now if they say the massage is 100 bucks and you get charged 120 bucks automatically because the "tip" is included that's a different thing entirely.

But if they say it's USD100 for a massage - that's the cost of the massage. I don't understand why you're saying the tip could be in that. That's not the scenario of the poster. I just don't understand if, in your hypothetical, the cost of the massage is USD100 - that's the cost of the service. USD50 could be the notional rental of the space, USD40 could be for the masseuse, USD10 could be for the product; it's utterly irrelevant. In your scenario the advertised price of the service is USD100. In your new scenario where USD120 is presented - yes, that is the issue we're discussing here. The USD100 example you've put up and questioned why the poster cares if the tip is included is still nonsensical to me. I respect the fact you think it makes sense, and would like to better understand.

I don't think anyone would be discussing tipping culture if the extra a service industry employee needs to make to have a liveable wage is factored in to the cost of the service, taxed accordingly, etc... Do you? Do you think if everyone just paid the bill, we'd be saying, "Ah well! How much of that was the tip?!" It seems to be nonsense, but you obviously feel it makes sense so please explain...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JerseyBigfoot wrote:
windywave wrote:
JerseyBigfoot wrote:
windywave wrote:

But if they say it's USD100 for a massage - that's the cost of the massage. I don't understand why you're saying the tip could be in that. That's not the scenario of the poster. I just don't understand if, in your hypothetical, the cost of the massage is USD100 - that's the cost of the service. USD50 could be the notional rental of the space, USD40 could be for the masseuse, USD10 could be for the product; it's utterly irrelevant. In your scenario the advertised price of the service is USD100. In your new scenario where USD120 is presented - yes, that is the issue we're discussing here. The USD100 example you've put up and questioned why the poster cares if the tip is included is still nonsensical to me. I respect the fact you think it makes sense, and would like to better understand.

I don't think anyone would be discussing tipping culture if the extra a service industry employee needs to make to have a liveable wage is factored in to the cost of the service, taxed accordingly, etc... Do you? Do you think if everyone just paid the bill, we'd be saying, "Ah well! How much of that was the tip?!" It seems to be nonsense, but you obviously feel it makes sense so please explain...

I think Windy's point is, if you know going in that you're going to spend $100, then you probably shouldn't care if the spa claims that includes tip or not. You're going to pay $100 either way, unless you choose to tip additionally.

However, if you think you're going to spend $100, and they automatically add a tip on top of that, then it makes more sense to care about it, because you're paying more than the advertised price, and don't have a choice in the matter.

Automatic tips are pretty standard for larger parties at restaurants. Not sure if they're standard for spas, especially for just one or two people.

Slowguy

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JerseyBigfoot wrote:
windywave wrote:
JerseyBigfoot wrote:
windywave wrote:

But if they say it's USD100 for a massage - that's the cost of the massage. I don't understand why you're saying the tip could be in that. That's not the scenario of the poster. I just don't understand if, in your hypothetical, the cost of the massage is USD100 - that's the cost of the service. USD50 could be the notional rental of the space, USD40 could be for the masseuse, USD10 could be for the product; it's utterly irrelevant. In your scenario the advertised price of the service is USD100. In your new scenario where USD120 is presented - yes, that is the issue we're discussing here.

That's what he said so he's saying it is the 100 dollar scenario not the 120 dollar scenario.

If I had to guess they classify it as a tip for tax reasons
Quote Reply
Re: Tipping Culture [slowguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
slowguy wrote:
chxddstri wrote:
my wife brought our 18 year old daughter to a swanky spa for an hour massage. It was a spring break "gift" for our daughter, since she is a loner at school, and spent her vacation week at home with her parents. thought it would be something nice for her.

true to form, my wife and daughter arrived about 5 minutes late for a 5pm appointment (last session of the day). massage started at 5:15pm.

since it was the last session of the day, my wife figured the therapist would go until 6:15. Not at all. She wrapped things up right at 6pm. Understood. whatever. that's her decision.

when its time to pay, my wife finds out that tip is "included" in the price. There is an option to tip more, if you want...but no option to tip less.

My wife let it go, mainly because she didn't want to make a big deal out of it in front of our daughter. didn't want her to feel bad about the cost.

Makes me think of a Seinfeld episode about the rental car reservation, with no car available. "I know what a reservation is, sir". "I don't think you do"

I don't think they know what a tip is, and that is why the therapist had no incentive to run the session a full hour.

On the one hand, the tipping thing is what it is. It's not really a tip, if you don't get to decide whether you're leaving it or not based on service. It's just an additional part of the cost, and it lets the spa make it seem like their treatment costs less than it actually does. They get to say a massage is $80 plus $20 tip, but what that means is their massages actually cost $100.

On the other hand, you don't really get to schedule a particular time for a massage, show up late, and then complain about them not running past your scheduled end time. They presumably have other clients, and it's your wife's fault they got there late, not the masseuse's.

From chxddstri’s post it may be a problem of disclosure. Sounds like the mandatory “tip” was a surprise to the wife. If they quote $100 and fail to disclose (or the disclosure is obscure) that there is a mandatory additional charge of $20 for a tip, I understand the complaint. If it’s clearly disclosed as $100 + $20 tip, then I can see someone quibbling over terminology (whether it really is a “tip”) but it’s otherwise not objectionable.
Quote Reply
Re: Tipping Culture [ike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ike wrote:
slowguy wrote:
chxddstri wrote:

From chxddstri’s post it may be a problem of disclosure. Sounds like the mandatory “tip” was a surprise to the wife. If they quote $100 and fail to disclose (or the disclosure is obscure) that there is a mandatory additional charge of $20 for a tip, I understand the complaint. If it’s clearly disclosed as $100 + $20 tip, then I can see someone quibbling over terminology (whether it really is a “tip”) but it’s otherwise not objectionable.

Yep. See my later post.

Usually they say that a tip is automatically added, as opposed to included. If it’s the former, there’s a reason to take issue. If the latter, not as much.

Slowguy

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
slowguy wrote:
JerseyBigfoot wrote:
windywave wrote:
JerseyBigfoot wrote:
windywave wrote:

I think Windy's point is, if you know going in that you're going to spend $100, then you probably shouldn't care if the spa claims that includes tip or not. You're going to pay $100 either way, unless you choose to tip additionally.

However, if you think you're going to spend $100, and they automatically add a tip on top of that, then it makes more sense to care about it, because you're paying more than the advertised price, and don't have a choice in the matter.

Automatic tips are pretty standard for larger parties at restaurants. Not sure if they're standard for spas, especially for just one or two people.

I’m used to service add on for large groups, sure. Just trying to understand what windy’s example was trying to say as it wasn’t clear. Your tipping culture is very strange over there. Glad there’s a big World to run around in though!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
windywave wrote:
JerseyBigfoot wrote:
windywave wrote:
JerseyBigfoot wrote:
windywave wrote:

But if they say it's USD100 for a massage - that's the cost of the massage. I don't understand why you're saying the tip could be in that. That's not the scenario of the poster. I just don't understand if, in your hypothetical, the cost of the massage is USD100 - that's the cost of the service. USD50 could be the notional rental of the space, USD40 could be for the masseuse, USD10 could be for the product; it's utterly irrelevant. In your scenario the advertised price of the service is USD100. In your new scenario where USD120 is presented - yes, that is the issue we're discussing here.

That's what he said so he's saying it is the 100 dollar scenario not the 120 dollar scenario.

My mistake for not being clear. The tip was added AFTER the massage. It was NOT part of the advertised agreed upon price. The addition was non negotiable.

Not everything is as it seems -Mr. Miyagi
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
slowguy wrote:
chxddstri wrote:

Agree on the being late part. The point I was trying to illustrate is this: the masseuse has no interest in earning a tip, whether it’s working a little longer, being friendly, or simply going above and beyond for the customer. No motivation at all, because the tip is taken no matter what.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
slowguy wrote:
ike wrote:
slowguy wrote:
chxddstri wrote:

Yep. See my later post.

Usually they say that a tip is automatically added, as opposed to included. If it’s the former, there’s a reason to take issue. If the latter, not as much.

The tip was added at checkout. It’s done as a “courtesy to the customer”. That’s what they call it. Seriously,

I don’t object to it, as much as I think it neuters the purpose of a tip.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
chxddstri wrote:
slowguy wrote:
chxddstri wrote:

Agree on the being late part. The point I was trying to illustrate is this: the masseuse has no interest in earning a tip, whether it’s working a little longer, being friendly, or simply going above and beyond for the customer. No motivation at all, because the tip is taken no matter what.

Yeah, if the tip is automatically added on top of the advertised price, that's sketchy, unless it's made clear somewhere ahead of time.

And that's not really a tip, as you mentioned. If it's a mandatory part of the cost, then it's just a different way for the business to characterize what they're paying the employee, so it sounds nicer than increasing the cost of their service.

Slowguy

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JerseyBigfoot wrote:
windywave wrote:

This could have been in a jurisdiction that allows for tips to be credited toward a portion of the minimum wage.

Or it was that the masseuse/masseur was being paid a piece rate for each massage, and this was just a way of telling the customer that tip was included even though it technically wasn't a tip. Say the advertised price for a massage is $100. Of that, $50 goes to the masseuse and $50 to the spa. Knowing that a tip was included in the $100, customers know that's all they'll be expected to pay when deciding whether the can afford it. If the tip was not included, customers might think that they'd really be expected to pay $120, and fewer might sign up.

The advantage of a piece rate is that you don't have to pay the employee for down time, so long as the total earned for the day/week meets at least minimum wage/overtime requirements.
Quote Reply
Re: Tipping Culture [RogerC39] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I just had a thought. This was simpler and less stressful with cash back in the day.

You got takeout in the cash days, you slapped the price down and whatever and they made sure it covered the price and you left. You eat a meal and maybe they get cute and bring back a weird style of giving you cash change implying they're pinching you into a bigger tip and you call their bluff and have a wallet with every possible denomination in it.

You buy a beer and just slap the amount on the bar and tell em to keep the change.

Simpler. Less confrontational.

The electronic payment systems have been optimized to the hilt to extract money from people in regards to tips and fees. They have incentive to.

Was also less likely to have greedy owners skimming the tips cash versus credit if the servers/tenders were picking it up immediately and pocketing it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
chxddstri wrote:
windywave wrote:
JerseyBigfoot wrote:
windywave wrote:
JerseyBigfoot wrote:
windywave wrote:

My mistake for not being clear. The tip was added AFTER the massage. It was NOT part of the advertised agreed upon price. The addition was non negotiable.

Well fuck that
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Can't believe people are on here whinning about tips... man.. who the hell would complain about tipping. I mean its straight forward.

You walk into anywhere in the US and see a price, that simply is a suggestion, you can try to bargain them down to some lower price, but once a price is agreed to, then taxes get added, then you can add more money if you want as a tip.

I mean how hard is this to understand. I mean what do you all want. A price that is what you actually pay for the service or item clearly marked and stated before you even talk to someone, I mean that just sounds dumb, why would you want it that way.

Just Triing
Triathlete since 9:56:39 AM EST Aug 20, 2006.
Be kind English is my 2nd language. My primary language is Dave it's a unique evolution of English.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
windywave wrote:
chxddstri wrote:
windywave wrote:
JerseyBigfoot wrote:
windywave wrote:
JerseyBigfoot wrote:
windywave wrote:

Well fuck that

HAHA!! Exactly!

Quote Reply

Prev Next