Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

The Superman Position
Quote | Reply
How close to the Graeme Obree style Superman Position do you think we will get in triathlon?
Historically the TT position has had forearms around vertical. But recently we have seeing some of the top athletes getting more stretched out with elbows well in front of the shoulders.
From aerodynamics it makes sense. The body can go lower and fewer cylinders are exposed to the wind. But at what cost to the stability, handling and abiltiy to run off the bike 🤔

Full-time Engineer / Part-time Pro Triathlete
Instagram - https://www.instagram.com/benwgoodfellow/
Strava - https://www.strava.com/athletes/3085032
Website - https://benwgoodfellow.wixsite.com/bengoodfellow
Quote Reply
Re: The Superman Position [BenwGoodfellow] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
To Obree?

Not close at all.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oJ9H0INZ2_s&ab_channel=EnduraOfficial

Watch this, it answers the question. Put simply the Superman position was 50w slower.
Quote Reply
Re: The Superman Position [michael Hatch] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
michael Hatch wrote:

Watch this, it answers the question. Put simply the Superman position was 50w slower.

Have seen this in the past but hardly a fair comparison. The new tech setup has a deep front wheel, disc rear and aerofoil frame shapes.

Full-time Engineer / Part-time Pro Triathlete
Instagram - https://www.instagram.com/benwgoodfellow/
Strava - https://www.strava.com/athletes/3085032
Website - https://benwgoodfellow.wixsite.com/bengoodfellow
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BenwGoodfellow wrote:
michael Hatch wrote:

Have seen this in the past but hardly a fair comparison. The new tech setup has a deep front wheel, disc rear and aerofoil frame shapes.

are you asking about obree or boardman's position?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Some of the pros at Kona were pretty stretched out. No superman, but longer than normal.

Not going full superman but moving the elbows forward has a tendency to pull the shoulders forward as well, narrowing them into the lauded 'shrug'. I would suppose a first-pass optimization length is the one that gets the narrowest shoulder width.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes the new parts are more aero, but the body on top is still the same.
So I would question that changing a wheel at the front and adding a more aero frame changes the dynamics of the position.
The proof, as they say is always in the pudding. Duct tape, a T handled shovel and a straight road is all you need...:0)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Do you mean like this:

I works pretty well for him
Quote Reply
Re: The Superman Position [jaretj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I feel like Joe Skipper is getting closer and closer to the superman position over the years. He just went to the windtunnel in his latest video, curious if he comes out of that more or less superman'y.

My Strava | My Instagram | Summerville, SC | 35-39 AG | 4:41 (70.3), 10:05 (140.6) | 3x70.3, 1x140.6 | Cat 2 Cyclist
Quote Reply
Re: The Superman Position [theyellowcarguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
theyellowcarguy wrote:
I feel like Joe Skipper is getting closer and closer to the superman position over the years. He just went to the windtunnel in his latest video, curious if he comes out of that more or less superman'y.

Not so much. The point with superman isn't about stretching the arms forward. it's stretching and (crucially) elevating them so that they are in line with the upper torso thereby forming one big long shape. The photo above this one showed it well. A rider like skipper stretching his arms forwards above though (with the arms still acting in front of the thighs) isn't really adopting the superman principles at all.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jaretj wrote:
Do you mean like this:

The helmet dates this 2015 ish (or newer). With the exception of the ridiculously long rear derailleur cable, this guy was really operating outside the box.
Where's this from? Can you tell us more about this?
Quote Reply
Re: The Superman Position [UK Gearmuncher] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
UK Gearmuncher wrote:

Not so much. The point with superman isn't about stretching the arms forward. it's stretching and (crucially) elevating them so that they are in line with the upper torso thereby forming one big long shape. The photo above this one showed it well. A rider like skipper stretching his arms forwards above though (with the arms still acting in front of the thighs) isn't really adopting the superman principles at all.

I'm not sure if aero positions are something that warrants gatekeeping. Just because he's not in the classic Boardman/Obree superman doesn't mean he's not closer to superman than most traditional positions.

The benefits of such a hybrid position really come down to turning the upper arms more into an ellipse and drawing the shoulders forward and closer together. Putting the arms directly horizontal is great for upper body aerodynamics but leaves the hips and legs completely exposed.
Quote Reply
Re: The Superman Position [Hanginon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That is Brian Francis.

One of the fastest 55+ Age Groupers that I know. All arounder and really nice guy.
Quote Reply
Re: The Superman Position [mathematics] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mathematics wrote:
I'm not sure if aero positions are something that warrants gatekeeping. Just because he's not in the classic Boardman/Obree superman doesn't mean he's not closer to superman than most traditional positions.

The benefits of such a hybrid position really come down to turning the upper arms more into an ellipse and drawing the shoulders forward and closer together. Putting the arms directly horizontal is great for upper body aerodynamics but leaves the hips and legs completely exposed.

It's not so much that I'm arguing about the merits but more so defining what it actually was. Having the arms in a hybrid position though (a position I ran myself for 2-3 years back in 2015 - until I established it was crap when at yaw) may obviously have merits but isn't what the superman position was originally about. I guess my point was really about semantics in this instance.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jaretj wrote:
That is Brian Francis.

One of the fastest 55+ Age Groupers that I know. All arounder and really nice guy.

Thank you! Good for him!!
Every now & then I get the itch to build a SoftRide - might be the impetus I need - but, unfortunately, most of them are sized for 650 wheels.
Last edited by: Hanginon: Mar 23, 23 10:26
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Data from the Endura windtunnel video would seem to indicate that Obree egg + modern bike/kit = winner winner chicken dinner.

Superman...not so much.

-bobo

"What's good for me ain't necessarily good for the weak-minded."
Quote Reply
Re: The Superman Position [bobo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
somebody already mentioned it above... the superman vs. modern position comparison from endura is very... misleading.

My Blog - http://leegoocrap.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BenwGoodfellow wrote:
How close to the Graeme Obree style Superman Position do you think we will get in triathlon?
Historically the TT position has had forearms around vertical. But recently we have seeing some of the top athletes getting more stretched out with elbows well in front of the shoulders.
From aerodynamics it makes sense. The body can go lower and fewer cylinders are exposed to the wind. But at what cost to the stability, handling and abiltiy to run off the bike 🤔

This is the entire point of “high hands”… the hands aren’t high at all, it’s the shoulder angle that is open.

Waaaaay more comfortable and more powerful and aerodynamic to boot. We can do this because we aren’t restricted by UCI rules.

E

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Re: The Superman Position [Morelock] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Morelock wrote:
somebody already mentioned it above... the superman vs. modern position comparison from endura is very... misleading.

I was going more off of the difference (30w) in the "1993 UCI Standard" vs "Modern UCI Standard", and figuring what the Crouch in modern configuration might yield.

Superman Old Faithful was so creamed by Crouch Old Faithful (52w), it takes Superman out of the running for any serious consideration.

-bobo

"What's good for me ain't necessarily good for the weak-minded."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BenwGoodfellow wrote:

I raced the superman back in 09-'11 and tested it enough to know it was far superior to my regular aero position. I used a very long steam, regular bars and then used pvc to extend the length of the bars.

I never noticed any issue in the stability or handling and raced it up to half-Ironman distance. However, it was extremely uncomfortably on the shoulders and thus, did not contribute to staying relaxed and holding the position well.
I never noticed any issues running off the bike.
The most annoying problems is the length of your bike when you add 18 inches to your bars. Transport in regular cars was nearly impossible.
You were also a long ways from the brakes so that you had to really anticipate any issues and come out of the bars.
I eventually tried Obree's egg position and found it both faster, more sustainable, easier to pack in cars and much safer. I can get to my brakes faster from the egg than a person on normal aerobars.
The speed difference between the superman and the egg was significantly less than between the superman and normal aerobars.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jaretj wrote:
Do you mean like this:

I remember reading about this guy and looking up some of his splits. If I recall correctly he demolished some bike courses with this position.

Team Zoot 2023
Quote Reply