Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: I'm doing a duathlon on Sunday, give me your best tips [curtish26] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
curtish26 wrote:
So...off topic, but where is everyone going to be doing their duathlons this year?

Barkin' Dog Du in Denver, used to get 300-400, since covid it's gone down like every other race.
Last year, 76 for the long course 5k/34k/5k and 54 short course 1.2mi/11mi/5k

I'm signed up this year but have a 3-way conflict that weekend, barring cancellation I'll be doing some volunteer work instead of racing.. oh well.
Quote Reply
Re: UPDATED WITH RACE REPORT- I'm doing a duathlon on Sunday, give me your best tips [curtish26] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not quite that bad. Have you done this du? It looks like they changed the distances a few years ago.

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: UPDATED WITH RACE REPORT- I'm doing a duathlon on Sunday, give me your best tips [Dr. Tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dr. Tigerchik wrote:
The guy who I suspect was #1 or at least up there basically wore a tri suit (short sleeves, come down to knees sort of thing)

Not surprising at all, I've been in a few colder weather races and the guy you describe usually does win.

Wouldn't surprise me if he was a West Point Cadet or graduate. I've raced them a few times and no matter the conditions, they are dressed as you describe and usually take the top few spots.
Quote Reply
Re: UPDATED WITH RACE REPORT- I'm doing a duathlon on Sunday, give me your best tips [Dr. Tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dr. Tigerchik wrote:
Not quite that bad. Have you done this du? It looks like they changed the distances a few years ago.

No, I haven't done the Chris Brown Duathlon. In 2020 I did three Saturday Duathlon in the OKC area (Guthrie super sprint duathlon, March in Okarche (rescheduled to June), and Do Kona Du). I also did a home made duathlon on March 15th which was the original date of the March in Okarche duathlon, the two free USAT virtual duathlons, and attempted to do a 3rd virtual duathlon through IM but the technology didn't work so it showed me as a DNF even though I completed all the segments. So, I did about 7 duathlons in 2020 when all the triathlons were canceled due to Covid. I got relocated with work from McAlester, OK to Houston, TX in 2021 and didn't get to do any duathlon race that year, but did the Standard Distance duathlon at the USAT Multisports championship in Irving, TX last year. I almost did the Duathlon at a Sprint Triathlon in the Houston area last October but I did the Triathlon instead because I knew that there would be better competition in the triathlon. I want to do another big Duathlon. I just haven't found the right one yet.
Last edited by: curtish26: Mar 20, 23 6:37
Quote Reply
Re: I'm doing a duathlon on Sunday, give me your best tips [Dr. Tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dr. Tigerchik wrote:
Quote:
I will say I didn't find today "painful." The first run felt like suffering but the second didn't, probably because I was gleefully chasing people down and figuring they probably couldn't do anything about it when I passed them (the people I was catching appeared to be more cyclist types than runner types). Did I tell you how fun that was :-)

I would say that your first du was a success in that you did not hate yourself at the end. The pain part was not entirely a joke, but the best du I ever raced was also the easiest, mentally because I felt spectacular that day. I remember rolling through the first mile in 10th or so place and then looking at my watch and thinking it was the easiest mile of my life despite being a 4:57 (slightly downhill). By the two-mile mark I was in 2nd, and then led probably 30 of 36K on the bike. I outransitioned the two guys who snuck past me at the end of the bike and ran free the rest of the way to the line.
My best performance at nationals, my final 5K felt heinous and I ran slower than I had the two previous years.
There is always a balance of effort between the first run, ride and 2nd run. If you enjoyed the 2nd run then you paced very conservative on the bike, which is great for your mind, but not great for your overall time.
Either way, good job. If regular competitive duathlons existed anywhere near me, I would never swim again, but they don't, soooo....
Quote Reply
Re: I'm doing a duathlon on Sunday, give me your best tips [cdw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
If you enjoyed the 2nd run then you paced very conservative on the bike, which is great for your mind, but not great for your overall time.

for sure. It will be fun to do another one and not lollygag on the bike.

If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dr. Tigerchik wrote:
thanks, though. :) where do you live btw? just curious. People in the tri groups here (in Oklahoma) say things like "it's 40, that's so cold, I'm staying on my trainer" and that I think is pretty ridiculous

I'm in South Jersey; nearly exactly halfway between Philly and Atlantic City

We'll get a couple weeks during the Winter where the daytime temps or overnight lows are in the 20s [you'll have a line of cars at Wawa for people getting free air in their tires after the Pressure Warning Light comes on]

Because of Climate Change, we rarely get snow anymore. Over the past couple of years, when The Shore has gotten clobbered, we've been above the snow line; if Philly and PA have gotten it, we've been below = I have used my snow shovel just once since 2021

Forty degrees is right around the temperature I switch to long pants for my run; 45* and above I'll wear a long sleeve & shorts [we don't ride outside below 45-50*]

If I can see my breath, however, I'll always wear gloves - it's a Reynauds thing, plus I nearly had frostbite as a kid

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You rock! Enjoyed the race report. Your strategy was unconventional (puffer jacket? :) ) but successful. I figured that you would get plenty of advice - and did - so I didn't add my own. I've been racing du exclusively for 10+ years, but the number of events is pretty skimpy, especially near me (middle TN). It might be nice to continue the end of this thread with other recommended duathlons. My next du? Coming up (too) fast - Nationals in Irving, TX in mid-late April.
Quote Reply
Re: UPDATED WITH RACE REPORT- I'm doing a duathlon on Sunday, give me your best tips [giorgitd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Your strategy was unconventional (puffer jacket? :)

It was cold and I don't like to be cold.
I definitely was the only person in a puffer jacket. Other people had coats on but not the sort of coats that make you look like the Michelin man.

Quote Reply

Prev Next