Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Fastest disc wheel out there today? [BigBoyND] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BigBoyND wrote:
No I don't, because filling and spokes are two ways of achieving the same thing. In a disc wheel I care about price, width, aero, and weight, roughly in that order. What's inside doesn't matter to me just as it doesn't matter what kind of filling they use if it's solid or anything else that isn't visible/measurable.

I'll agree showing NA for spokes is misleading, though. That's not cool even if there's no functional difference.
I would have thought having a spoked v solid disc is massive difference and is up there with the most measurable things when purchasing a disc? Certainly is with my disc choice for IM racing.
Quote Reply
Re: Fastest disc wheel out there today? [Shambolic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Shambolic wrote:
BigBoyND wrote:
No I don't, because filling and spokes are two ways of achieving the same thing. In a disc wheel I care about price, width, aero, and weight, roughly in that order. What's inside doesn't matter to me just as it doesn't matter what kind of filling they use if it's solid or anything else that isn't visible/measurable.

I'll agree showing NA for spokes is misleading, though. That's not cool even if there's no functional difference.
I would have thought having a spoked v solid disc is massive difference and is up there with the most measurable things when purchasing a disc? Certainly is with my disc choice for IM racing.

Ok but why do you think that? I see no reason for it to be more important than any of the other properties of a wheel, or for it to even be a minor consideration.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BigBoyND wrote:
Shambolic wrote:
BigBoyND wrote:

Ok but why do you think that? I see no reason for it to be more important than any of the other properties of a wheel, or for it to even be a minor consideration.
Because a spoked disk is no where as harsh to ride than a solid disc. It’s certainly a more pleasurable experience over an IM.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Oh I thought you meant spokes are a negative thing. For whatever reason, some posters talk down spoked disc wheels.

I'm not sure I can tell a difference in harshness, especially in the days of 28mm tires.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Shambolic wrote:
BigBoyND wrote:
Shambolic wrote:
BigBoyND wrote:

Because a spoked disk is no where as harsh to ride than a solid disc. It’s certainly a more pleasurable experience over an IM.

I really can't tell any comfort difference between 90 mm with a cover compared to my unspoked disks. But then, I am a fairly lightweight rider.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BigBoyND wrote:
Oh I thought you meant spokes are a negative thing. For whatever reason, some posters talk down spoked disc wheels.

I'm not sure I can tell a difference in harshness, especially in the days of 28mm tires.

Tyres have progressed but you can still take some advantage running a spoked wheel it is a huge positive in my boat. I can’t say the road surface has been too great on any IM corses I have ridden especially NZ. Then you need a disk wide enough for a 28mm tyre and not hinder aero advantage which could limit your choices. Have you ridden a Cadex disc? I’d still not be that excited to ride one over a rough IM course with the sweetest of 28 tyres. You can’t get the Continental GP5000 TT TDF edition in that size either so I’ll keep spokes in my top reasons for buying a disc.
Last edited by: Shambolic: Feb 5, 23 6:01
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The main tradeoff in Ironman racing (IMO) is Fast vs Pleasurable
Quote Reply
Re: Fastest disc wheel out there today? [Mulen] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yet you can have both 🤗
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The Hed Vanquish disc is 21mm internal optimized for 28mm measured tires.
Quote Reply
Re: Fastest disc wheel out there today? [LOW2000] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'd have to buy a bike with disc brakes to match the wheel...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was in the same boat, and actually got the wheels on sale before deciding on a frame, but no matter the final decision, it’ll be a disc brake bike.
Quote Reply
Re: Fastest disc wheel out there today? [LOW2000] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
A spoked wheel and a 28mm tyre you have it all... I'm putting off going disc as long as I can unless I'm on the dirt.
Quote Reply
Re: Fastest disc wheel out there today? [Mulen] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm tempted by the Parcours Chrono. Price is reasonable, weight is reasonable (if on the "heavier" side at 1240g) but the internal rim width is excellent at 22.5mm, which means it is optimised for 28mm tires and no aero penalty for 30mm.

Roads over here in Europe just seem to get worse every month, and where I am riding now I feel battered after a ride on 28mm tires at a lower pressure. 30s could be the way forward.
Quote Reply
Re: Fastest disc wheel out there today? [NashM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
NashM wrote:
I have the Ron Aeron X and I like it so far. It's lightweight (1190 grams), relatively inexpensive, internal rim width is ok (18mm internal 27.5 external, 25mm tire recommended but 28mm can be used, currently using Schwalbe Pro One TT 25), it’s stiff, and sounds just as good as high end discs. I was deciding between this one and Hunt wheels disc wheel but they weren’t in stock. This did take several weeks to be delivered, from Poland. Matt Hansen is sponsored by them, of course he’ll use what he’s given rather than what is fastest so that may not be saying much. It’s also my first disc wheel and only one I’ve used so can’t compare.

On their website they list it as 25.6mm external width? Did you measure it at 27.5?
Quote Reply
Re: Fastest disc wheel out there today? [treyxt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
25.6 is for the rim brake wheel, I have the disc brake wheel which is 27.5mm
Quote Reply
Re: Fastest disc wheel out there today? [NashM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ah that makes more sense.

Thanks.
Quote Reply
Re: Fastest disc wheel out there today? [treyxt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The discussion whether the disc is better than rim is stupid. Of course you need a disc. Also on a IM full course. Because you need to look cool…the disc is your free coach that tells you every turn to ride faster.
And that’s the truth. Scientifically proven by me, n=1
Quote Reply
Re: Fastest disc wheel out there today? [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I just bought a Flo Disc. It's a carbon rim, spoked wheel, with a bonded carbon cover. No ride harshness. Lot of nice features, good videos of how to setup. They actually have them in stock, and ready to ship (unlike many other of these Disc wheels). It's a damned impressive wheel for the price.
Quote Reply
Re: Fastest disc wheel out there today? [Johnny_G] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
FLO is good but not the deal it once was, when you're looking at street price. HED Jet is made in the US for the same price. Citec is made in Germany with DT hubs for the same price. If I didn't care about country of origin and proprietary hubs, I'd either get the Lightbicycle with DT240 (for greater width) or Prime/Premier (for better price).
Quote Reply
Re: Fastest disc wheel out there today? [Johnny_G] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Johnny_G wrote:
I just bought a Flo Disc. It's a carbon rim, spoked wheel, with a bonded carbon cover.

I've raced the Flo Disc for years, and it's been "OK." It's come slightly out of true, and though I've worked on it, it's still not totally perfect - I have to run my (rim) brakes slightly wider than I'd like. While I'm no wheel-trueing wizard, this one has seemed harder than regular spoked wheels. I sent a video to Flo and was told "that's normal, all wheels have some movement." But it's sure more than I'd like, a few mm at the brake track.

And there's a "pinging" noise that comes and goes. I think this is probably spokes rubbing against each other. Maybe related to my trueness issue, as maybe there's a spoke with lower tension. But no way to use a spoke tension meter to normalize tensions. Also lubed the nipples as best I could....no help.

So it's been a good value, but my next disc wheel will be spokeless, as I've had Zipp discs for track that have been flawless.

As a roadie, I don't care about all-day comfort,.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BigBoyND wrote:
FLO is good but not the deal it once was, when you're looking at street price. HED Jet is made in the US for the same price. Citec is made in Germany with DT hubs for the same price. If I didn't care about country of origin and proprietary hubs, I'd either get the Lightbicycle with DT240 (for greater width) or Prime/Premier (for better price).

Is Prime the Wiggle branded wheel?
Quote Reply
Re: Fastest disc wheel out there today? [zedzded] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Keen to hear more on the Prime disc for anyone running it. There are some negative reviews on Wiggle / CRC relating to delamination with air trapping inside the wheel. Has the design been updated to fix this apparent 'defect?'
Last edited by: Fresh79: Jul 10, 23 17:24
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BigBoyND wrote:
Mulen wrote:
I initially see you point, many discs look very similar nowadays, except maybe Cadex, Flo, Vision, HED, Black Inc - still all have that "bulge" like the Zipp Sub-9 had. I would love HED, if only they would make a true carbon walled disc.

I see many (Euro?) top pros using DT Swiss and Swiss Side.

Pros ride based on sponsors, not what's best, so I'd ignore that as part of your reasoning.

Cycling pros and top triathlon pros do, sure. But if you could look at the broader set of triathlon pros you might be able to get some data, as most don't have wheel sponsors.

However that data may very well be "what can I afford on a triathlete's budget" so it still may not get to the answer we're looking for.

If I could actually find the info, I'd be curious what cycling pros use in TT when they go "off sponsor" and black out all the logos. But even that answer might be "the disc that worked best in the tunnel with my specific bike setup."

In the end, I got the one that matched my bike color scheme because this answer seemed impossible to nail down objectively without testing I wasn't going to ever be able to do. And matching colors is proven to be worth 3-5 watts.

Too old to go pro but doing it anyway
http://instagram.com/tgarvey4
Quote Reply
Re: Fastest disc wheel out there today? [m_sasso] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
m_sasso wrote:
dkennison wrote:
Yes and the difference in our disc at $850 running a 25 or 28 mm tire ccr vs the other disc at $2,500 running a 22 mm tire ccr should more than make up the difference 😊

I’m willing to take on the road ride challenge as well.

Are we testing tires or comparing wheels?

You can't separate the two as they work as a system. If you have to run a narrow tubular it will definitely be a slower wheel.

Heath Dotson
HD Coaching:Website |Twitter: 140 Characters or Less|Facebook:Follow us on Facebook
Quote Reply
Re: Fastest disc wheel out there today? [Fresh79] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fresh79 wrote:
Keen to hear more on the Prime disc for anyone running it. There are some negative reviews on Wiggle / CRC relating to delamination with air trapping inside the wheel. Has the design been updated to fix this apparent 'defect?'

Not sure about tubeless as I use mine with a tube. But I love the wheel, think its amazing value for money. No crappy sticker over the valve hole like on my previous Zipp that cost 3 times as much. And while $1K is still a hell of a lot I feel a little better about travelling and damage risk with a $1K wheel than a $3K wheel..
Quote Reply

Prev Next