Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: IM 70.3 New York Jones Beach. Ask me anything. [CaliB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
CaliB wrote:
How is the pavement? I remember the roads to be in pretty terrible shape in the area but that was almost a decade ago.
Is the water generally choppy?

Sad to hear that Toughman is struggling... I volunteered for that event and it looked amazing (minus the million of yellow jackets).
Toughman is a great race, done it a few times. The one thing I never liked I that you can never go into lake Welch after the race.
Quote Reply
Re: IM 70.3 New York Jones Beach. Ask me anything. [Bypasskid] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I just saw on the FB ads that they are saying that riding this closed bike course will be a "once in a lifetime opportunity". What does that mean? Is it just a one-year event? Or was it just a figure of speech. For me this event would be perfect in 2024. Do you know if they have a 3 or more year contract?

Death is easy....peaceful. Life is harder.
Quote Reply
Re: IM 70.3 New York Jones Beach. Ask me anything. [Triingtotrain] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I took that to be a figure of speech/marketing. But I have no actual info. It just sounds like corporate hype talk to me.
Quote Reply
Re: IM 70.3 New York Jones Beach. Ask me anything. [PBT_2009] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
PBT_2009 wrote:
I took that to be a figure of speech/marketing. But I have no actual info. It just sounds like corporate hype talk to me.

Yeah I too thought it was just hype as well. But then others started questioning it on FB but no answers. I bet you're right but would be nice to know for sure.

Death is easy....peaceful. Life is harder.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've seen that the bike course is closed. Do you know what the road surfaces are like? I did Augusta last year and was horrified at how torn up and potholed some of those roads were on the bike course.
Quote Reply
Re: IM 70.3 New York Jones Beach. Ask me anything. [Triingtotrain] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Triingtotrain wrote:
I just saw on the FB ads that they are saying that riding this closed bike course will be a "once in a lifetime opportunity". What does that mean? Is it just a one-year event? Or was it just a figure of speech. For me this event would be perfect in 2024. Do you know if they have a 3 or more year contract?

figure of speech
Quote Reply
Re: IM 70.3 New York Jones Beach. Ask me anything. [MegHenderson] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MegHenderson wrote:
I've seen that the bike course is closed. Do you know what the road surfaces are like? I did Augusta last year and was horrified at how torn up and potholed some of those roads were on the bike course.

Wantagh parkway is fine with some newly repaved areas, I drive on it almost daily, and no obvious potholes. If there are some potholes, I would venture a bet that they will be taken care of come raceday.
Quote Reply
Re: IM 70.3 New York Jones Beach. Ask me anything. [Sweeney] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sweeney wrote:
Monastero wrote:
How concerned would you be swimming in the bay? I know boaters dump bio-waste in there. Pretty gross

I don't know how responsible boaters are with their bi-waste, but Zachs Bay, where they all anchor on nice days and for the concerts, with the other boats around, doesn't seem like the most likely place for them to pump out their crap tanks. They only have to go about a mile to be in the open water of the L I Sound to do their dirty deeds.

I've never swam at that end of Zach's bay by the amphitheater, but I've swam at Tobay beach in the center and there's always a current, in or out and it's never seemed dirty or smelly.

But even with that, triathletes have been swimming in some of the crummiest water that race directors could find since the sport was invented. Triathlon was founded at Fiesta Island in San Diego. Before the found it, Fiesta was an industial waste dump.

Don't even mention the Hudson, it's a super-fund site. When the open water swim races in NYC were cancelled because of sewage run-off, NYC Triathlon went on. We've all swam in bed, dirty water. Zach's bay will not be one of those places.

Think you need to work on your geography a bit... LI Sound is on the north side of LI, only way a boat is getting there is on a trailer for 15+ miles or going around montauk or through NYC. The bigger body of water is South Oyster Bay, and if you snake around to the west you get to the Atlantic ocean via Jones Inlet.

The Tidal range on Zachs Bay is about 2' that is a lot of volume of water flushing in and out of the various inlets between the barrier beach islands 2x a day.. Right now the last concert at JBT is on the 17th, so we should be safe.. 13 flushes of the tidal system between then and race day.
Quote Reply
Re: IM 70.3 New York Jones Beach. Ask me anything. [TriNSki] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TriNSki wrote:
Sweeney wrote:
Monastero wrote:
How concerned would you be swimming in the bay? I know boaters dump bio-waste in there. Pretty gross

I don't know how responsible boaters are with their bi-waste, but Zachs Bay, where they all anchor on nice days and for the concerts, with the other boats around, doesn't seem like the most likely place for them to pump out their crap tanks. They only have to go about a mile to be in the open water of the L I Sound to do their dirty deeds.

I've never swam at that end of Zach's bay by the amphitheater, but I've swam at Tobay beach in the center and there's always a current, in or out and it's never seemed dirty or smelly.

But even with that, triathletes have been swimming in some of the crummiest water that race directors could find since the sport was invented. Triathlon was founded at Fiesta Island in San Diego. Before the found it, Fiesta was an industial waste dump.

Don't even mention the Hudson, it's a super-fund site. When the open water swim races in NYC were cancelled because of sewage run-off, NYC Triathlon went on. We've all swam in bed, dirty water. Zach's bay will not be one of those places.

Think you need to work on your geography a bit... LI Sound is on the north side of LI, only way a boat is getting there is on a trailer for 15+ miles or going around montauk or through NYC. The bigger body of water is South Oyster Bay, and if you snake around to the west you get to the Atlantic ocean via Jones Inlet.

The Tidal range on Zachs Bay is about 2' that is a lot of volume of water flushing in and out of the various inlets between the barrier beach islands 2x a day.. Right now the last concert at JBT is on the 17th, so we should be safe.. 13 flushes of the tidal system between then and race day.

Yeah, I must have had a a brain fart there, but the point is that the water is going to be pretty clean.

---------------------------
''Sweeney - you can both crush your AG *and* cruise in dead last!! 😂 '' Murphy's Law
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thinking about this one. You guys think this will sell out any time soon? Will it sell out even closer to summer time? Considering this but don't want to commit this early.
Quote Reply
Re: IM 70.3 New York Jones Beach. Ask me anything. [avikoren1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My 0.2c is that this will sell out
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I also think it will sell out. There are a lot of racers around here who must be thrilled to have this race so close to home.

Did anyone here run the Long Beach Snowflake Run yesterday? It was postponed from Saturday and it was much warmer, but the wind ripped my legs off!

''Sweeney - you can both crush your AG *and* cruise in dead last!! 😂 '' Murphy's Law
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I wa coming back from a race in Long Beach last weekend, and actually drove the Wantagh Pkwy northbound . Road conditions were generally very good!
Quote Reply
Re: IM 70.3 New York Jones Beach. Ask me anything. [Sweeney] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes, ran it! Tough on the way back:)
Quote Reply
Re: IM 70.3 New York Jones Beach. Ask me anything. [charlietris] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
following

just registered for this race! I am local and can't wait to do this race? it will be my first race since 2018!

PS: anyone here train/swim at Lifetime in Syosset?
Quote Reply
Re: IM 70.3 New York Jones Beach. Ask me anything. [JTNY] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Pumped for this race too. Will be my first 70.3.

Im from Port Jefferson if anyone is training for this race near me
Quote Reply
Re: IM 70.3 New York Jones Beach. Ask me anything. [TriNSki] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Problem fixed... https://parks.ny.gov/...s/release.aspx?r=964 They sent a 2 mile pipe North from Jones Beach to the cedar creek waste treatment plant

MRBACCOUNTING.COM - Accounting, Tax and Advisory Services

...former DII XC
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Looks to be a boardwalk run. How does everyone feel about running on boards? Long ago I did a race that only had a few miles on a boardwalk and I hated running on the boards, couldn't wait to get off, legs didn't like it at all. Thinking about doing this too, maybe just looking for excuses not to.
Quote Reply
Re: IM 70.3 New York Jones Beach. Ask me anything. [avikoren1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
avikoren1 wrote:
Looks to be a boardwalk run. How does everyone feel about running on boards? Long ago I did a race that only had a few miles on a boardwalk and I hated running on the boards, couldn't wait to get off, legs didn't like it at all. Thinking about doing this too, maybe just looking for excuses not to.

I’ve never run on the boardwalk at Jones Beach but I don’t think you have anything to worry about. Someone can correct me, but I think it’s a new composit boardwalk. I’ve run on those old wood boardwalks with the bound/rebound going on and it’s kind of weird. I’ve also run on the modern boards and it’s solid as a rock

Come on out, it’s a beautiful place and it’s going to be a great race!

Quote Reply
Re: IM 70.3 New York Jones Beach. Ask me anything. [klorene] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
klorene wrote:
I didn't pick up on that. Man that could get VERY crowded the second half.

so now that this event has sold out a while ago, with 3800 registered, assuming 3300-3500 show up, what does everyone think the bike course will look like in the section north Of Old Country Road where it is one lane in each direction?
Quote Reply

Prev Next