Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Atlantic City Tri - Money Grab. Self Serve Aid Stations... Are you kidding me!!! [STeaveA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
STeaveA wrote:
From the Athlete briefing for the AC Tri

"• Say goodbye to Volunteer Manned Aid Stations for now. In today's world, we encourage you to BYO and carry your own aid whether it be your own hydration bottle, reusable cup or hydration vest. Remember, these are FILL STATIONS, not Aid Stations anymore. Cups will NOT be available. Please use this to "refill" your hydration bottles or reusable cups with BASE or Water. See water droplets on map. "

This is ridiculous right?
Seems to be Delmo sports realized it was way easier/ more lucrative for them last year to not give any grants out to volunteer organizations to man their aid stations and they are just doing a money grab now.

They should have taken all the bums sleeping on the run course and put them to work!!!!!
Quote Reply
Re: Atlantic City Tri - Money Grab. Self Serve Aid Stations... Are you kidding me!!! [s.gentz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Homeless people sleep UNDER The Boardwalk, for the most part, so they wouldn't be on the course, necessarily

#LocalKowledge

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Re: Atlantic City Tri - Money Grab. Self Serve Aid Stations... Are you kidding me!!! [RandMart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RandMart wrote:
Homeless people sleep UNDER The Boardwalk, for the most part, so they wouldn't be on the course, necessarily

#LocalKowledge

I beg to differ. I was in AC for a concert over the weekend and was walking on the boardwalk during the race and there were at least 8-10 homeless people I saw sleeping on the Adirondack chairs. I'm sure that was only the tip of the iceberg. Can't even imagine what goes on under the boardwalk.
Quote Reply
Re: Atlantic City Tri - Money Grab. Self Serve Aid Stations... Are you kidding me!!! [s.gentz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You sure they weren't just lost Phish fans?

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Re: Atlantic City Tri - Money Grab. Self Serve Aid Stations... Are you kidding me!!! [RandMart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RandMart wrote:
You sure they weren't just lost Phish fans?

Coulda been 1 or 2 :)
Quote Reply
Re: Atlantic City Tri - Money Grab. Self Serve Aid Stations... Are you kidding me!!! [ALG] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm pretty sure cupless aid stations cost me a PR in my last half marathon. I'm a masters female and not particularly fast, but I do race a half at sub-8 minute pace, and coming to a full stop to fill my folding cup and then having to accelerate back to full speed again was brutal, worse than I'd imagined it would be. My last marathon (Houston - so well run!) which had staffed aid stations was night and day - just grabbing a cup and slowing pace down to 9 mpm or so and drinking on the run was light years better than having to decelerate and accelerate. Fueling for a race longer than an hour absolutely makes a difference.

At at least 2 s / lb / mile, carrying the amount of water needed for a race will slow you down significantly. Let's say you carry 16 oz of liquid plus 8 ounces of hydration pack - that's going to cost you 40 seconds. A hand-held bottle will be worse because of the energy needed to swing the bottle back and forth with every step, not to mention the force caused by the sloshing liquid. Slowing down to fill a cup four times will likely cost you even more.

I'll happily forego a medal and T-shirt if you give me staffed aid stations. And please don't say it's for the environment and then give me a plastic bottle of water after I finish the race.

The largest running company in Seattle, where I live, is Orca Running and they do "cupless races." So I don't do any race longer than 12K with them.
Quote Reply

Prev Next