Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: NA beer: I rolled my eyes for over a year…now I’m eating crow [SharonMcN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah, between Greg Bennet having them on his podcast and having a few in St. George last fall, I get it. Surprised myself as I figured I wouldn’t like it!

Aaron Bales
Lansing Triathlon Team
Quote Reply
Re: NA beer: I rolled my eyes for over a year…now I’m eating crow [MRid] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MRid wrote:
Ok, now imagine you really like coffee, but caffeine treated you very badly. And while decaf is not quite as good, it’s still pretty decent coffee.

Same idea

Unfortunately, most decaf isn't really completely decaffeinated, so if you really have a caffeine issue you still can't drink decaf.
Quote Reply
Re: NA beer: I rolled my eyes for over a year…now I’m eating crow [NordicSkier] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
NordicSkier wrote:
I just drink mineral water (flavoured or plain) if I don't want booze.

So like Hop Water? Usually zero calories and tastes similar to beer.

After a hard run or bike, I love the mouth slime clearing qualities of hoppy beer, and when I don't want to drink beer, both NA beer and Hop Water are decent substitutes.
Quote Reply
Re: NA beer: I rolled my eyes for over a year…now I’m eating crow [triguy86] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just an FYI to everyone, many liquor stores also sell NA beer, so you don't have to pay the higher price that Athletic Brewing charges on their website. You also can try lots of other brands, some of which I like better than Athletic.

Athletic Brewery stuff is $10 at my local store vs $14 on their site.

Hop Water can often be found in the soft drink section of grocery stores. Bonus for Hop Water is it is usually zero calories, since it's basically hop flavored carbonated water.
Quote Reply
Re: NA beer: I rolled my eyes for over a year…now I’m eating crow [doug in co] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Those early studies about aspartame have been shown to not be valid...

Quote:
While it is true that some evidence was found in early studies of a link between the consumption of aspartame and cancer in rats, later studies could not find a link between aspartame consumption and cancer in nonhuman primates or human beings.‌
https://www.webmd.com/...know-about-aspartame

doug in co wrote:
jimatbeyond wrote:
Why do you think that aspartame is bad?

carcinogenic, gives you diabetes, should never have been FDA approved..

https://grist.org/scary-food/2011-02-10-still-drinking-diet-soda-dont-be-a-fashion-victim-pepsi-strokes/
Quote:

In the early 1980s, a company called Searle owned the patent on aspartame, already known, paradoxically, as Nutrasweet. (I get the sweet part, but nutra?) Searle’s CEO was the well-connected Rumsfeld — who took the Searle job not long after serving as secretary of defense for the previous Republican president, Gerald Ford.

In 1981, President Reagan appointed a man named Arthur Hull Hayes as his FDA chair. Soon after taking the post, Hayes approved aspartame over the objections of an FDA-assembled panel made up of independent scientists. That panel had voted to reject clearance of aspartame, on the grounds that one of Searle’s own studies had shown that rats that consumed the chemical showed an increase in brain tumors. (This 2006 New York Times article gives a good historical account of the process.)

Rummy, of course, would go on to greater things, but not before engineering the sale of Searle and its suddenly quite valuable Nutrasweet division to Monsanto in 1985.

I don't care for NA beer myself, but it's much healthier than any diet product..
Quote Reply
Re: NA beer: I rolled my eyes for over a year…now I’m eating crow [bufordt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bufordt wrote:
Just an FYI to everyone, many liquor stores also sell NA beer, so you don't have to pay the higher price that Athletic Brewing charges on their website. You also can try lots of other brands, some of which I like better than Athletic.

Athletic Brewery stuff is $10 at my local store vs $14 on their site.

This was addressed in the original NA Beer thread

RandMart wrote:
TX83 wrote:
Any reason why Athletic Brewing charges so much more on their website than the big box stores locally? For example, they are charging $14 a 6pack on their website and the local Total Wine sells the 6 packs for $10. Shouldn't it be cheaper to buy direct?
Maybe you get stickers too?

I haven't ordered online, so I don't know for certain what the sticker situation might be

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Re: NA beer: I rolled my eyes for over a year…now I’m eating crow [TheStroBro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TheStroBro wrote:
I genuinely like the taste of coffee, but decaffeinated is an inferior tasting one. Same with decaffeinated tea.

Living in Europe I'm able to get NA beer that tastes no worse than alcohol beer - the choice includes NA APAs, IPAs, white beers, mango ales and others.

No brainer to me. 90% of the beer I drink nowadays is NA. I'm not trying to get drunk, fewer kcal (and all of them from carbs), etc.

"FTP is a bit 2015, don't you think?" - Gustav Iden
Quote Reply
Re: NA beer: I rolled my eyes for over a year…now I’m eating crow [bufordt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yep.... That was the important part
Quote Reply
Re: NA beer: I rolled my eyes for over a year…now I’m eating crow [RandMart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I wasn't really complaining about their online prices, I'm sure the extra cost is mostly shipping. Much cheaper per 6 pack to ship a large order to a store than an individual 6 pack to someone's house.

Just wanted to let people know that it's probably available at their local store as well as online.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nope, they add shipping at order time [I specifically went through Checkout to see]

My regular store has:
Athletic
BrewDog
Lagunitas
Partake
Two Roots
Sam Adams

Quote Reply
Re: NA beer: I rolled my eyes for over a year…now I’m eating crow [RandMart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TX83 wrote:
Any reason why Athletic Brewing charges so much more on their website than the big box stores locally? For example, they are charging $14 a 6pack on their website and the local Total Wine sells the 6 packs for $10. Shouldn't it be cheaper to buy direct?

My guess is that they price online higher than in a retail store to keep their suppliers happy. Otherwise customers will buy online. And for customers who can't find AB locally, online is available, albeit at a higher price.
Quote Reply
Re: NA beer: I rolled my eyes for over a year…now I’m eating crow [dktxracer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dktxracer wrote:
... for customers who can't find AB locally, online is available, albeit at a higher price.

That's what I'm thinking - distribution thing

Quote Reply

Prev Next