Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Spin Class for training [Jkgoff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Back when I travelled more for work, I would do spin classes in place of my bike rides. I found spin studio bikes are MUCH nicer to ride than a hotel fitness center "sort of bike-shaped" machine. I did find some studios were more towards the general fitness side than cycling specific...one studio would call people out to jump off the bike and do pushups in the middle of the ride; never went back there.

I have also shown up to classes on a recovery week, told the instructor before the class I'm going to spin along at Z1/Z2 in the back and never had any issues.

In a sport that takes up a lot of our time and energy, if you can find a way to train with your Partner, even if it might be a little less ideal, I think that's a win.
Quote Reply
Re: Spin Class for training [CyclingClyde] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
CyclingClyde wrote:
Back when I travelled more for work, I would do spin classes in place of my bike rides. I found spin studio bikes are MUCH nicer to ride than a hotel fitness center "sort of bike-shaped" machine. I did find some studios were more towards the general fitness side than cycling specific...one studio would call people out to jump off the bike and do pushups in the middle of the ride; never went back there.

I have also shown up to classes on a recovery week, told the instructor before the class I'm going to spin along at Z1/Z2 in the back and never had any issues.

Spin classes do vary a lot. I try not to be the class douche. I listen to their music and generally follow along. I am there before class starts and stay until the end.

Most of the time when the instructor finds I'm using this for IM training and I'm an "outside cyclist" they are generally flattered and treat me very nicely. They prefer my "snowbird" spinning vs the new years resolution spinners.

Once I get to know them the only thing I ask for is not the play the Rolling Stones as I despise the band.

Swim - Bike - Run the rest is just clothing changes.
Quote Reply
Re: Spin Class for training [Jkgoff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jkgoff wrote:
Mrs. Jkgoff has fallen deeply in love with the Y spin classes. She bought shoes and cleats and even had a twenty minute conversation with me about power and heart rate zones!

I’ve been going to two classes a week with her, and I have to say it’s a pretty good work out. The bike being off by twenty-ish watts also makes me feel pretty good.

The question is, my training buddies decry this as “not real training“. But I say it’s no different than riding around on Zwift. Plus it has the added bonus of a spouse time and daycare at the Y. What does the slowtwich hive mind think?

Sounds like a win win - more time with wifey and the kid is also looked after.

I think it’s interesting reading the different attitudes towards spinning classes. I’ve done it for many years and have had a huge range of instructors ... I was very picky as I liked the ones that pushed us hard. It can definitely be a great workout especially for cardio and leg strength. There are limitations such as not training on your own bike and the program not being tailored for tri training. But if you can fit the spin class in your training schedule why not? Go for it :)
Quote Reply

Prev Next