Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: New Trek Speed Concept [sorelegs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes I can get more reach. Take a look at this chart from drag2zero. https://drag2zero.co.uk/...h.pdf?v=7516fd43adaa It’s a little confusing how to set it up to get the reach but it’s doable. I could get another 40-45ish mm of additional reach than what I currently have setup in the photos above.

blog
Quote Reply
Re: New Trek Speed Concept [spocket] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
spocket wrote:
I went with the AeroCoach titanium Ascalon extensions; I just loved how clean their SLR-specific adapter is. Looks OEM.
Here's a bunch of pics of my 2023 SC SLR just built mid September.

It's a SLR 7 Ultegra build Project one with Full Fade paint scheme: Rage Red > Deep Dark Blue with the logo in "brushed chrome".
The colors are hard to render in picture - looks better in person.

Here's a couple of pics the bike shop posted after the build (but before setting my fit on it and before my tinkering).
The Pro 51mm wheels will be for training.

This has been an expensive project so far as this is my first Disc Brake bike and therefore none of my existing race wheels are compatible, had to figure out a power meter solution too as I was using Powertap Wheels. I stopped counting. Especially knowing this bike likely won't be much faster (if at all) than the Gen2 SC it replaces haha! But nice to sport a new ride.

Also planning to go Tubeless after swearing for years I would stick with Latex.
Ended up getting a Stages LR powermeter on a Dura-Ace crank I sent in for 'factory install'.

First upgrade was the saddle - went with the Wove v8 Saddle and so far love it (I plan to post a review on their thread when I have a chance). It's mind-blowing light :)
Also love the built-in bottle mount. I played with it and 2 bottles is possible.

I was not happy with the Aerocoach accessories for the Garmin and bottle mounts.
With my old eyes, I need big numbers and I use a Garmin 1040 computer, too big and heavy for the 3D printed mount they provided held by a single bolt.
The extensions are quite close from each other (or quite far if inversing the adapters) and the larger Garmin did not fit well between my wrist. Plus it was vibrating due to the heavier weight.
Also wanted both the Garmin and the BTA bottle in specific spots to make the best use of the available space.

I also did not like their carbon fiber sheet being mounted between the SC adapters and the bars. Looked funny. So I made my own (larger) carbon fiber sheet that mounts between the bars and the arm cups and is used to mount and locate both the BTA bottle and the Garmin computer (see later pics).

I also designed some bits to me made in Aluminum and tried to find a local shop to machine them, but this ended up way to expensive for the quotes I got especially not knowing if I would be happy with that setup..
So I just got aluminum bar stock online for a few bucks and hacked my own using an angle grinder, a drill press and some taps;
Result below.. I found a local shop that anodized them in black after the picture for $30 each.
- The threaded bottle space is not used in the following pictures but I can insert it below the 50mm BTA spacer to raise the BTA bottle further if needed.
- The other part is to replace the first piece of the articulated Trek SLR garmin mount (made by K-EDGE) so I can mount it to the carbon sheet I made and also position the computer exactly where I want it.

Here's the bike as it stands now;
I did take the aerobar angles from the native 21 degree down to 14 degrees using the -7 deg Trek spacer based on some comments in recent videos and past ST threads for aerodynamics.
But only way to tell which is best would be aero-testing; I do have the hardware needed to go back and forth.

After a lot of indecision for a rear disc, I ended up getting a Swiss Side Hadron Ultimate disc. Same exact disc as the DT SWISS one but a bit cheaper.
(ordered without stickers). I do not have a front wheel for racing yet, I just ordered a Vanquish Pro RC 60 with the Black Friday deals.

Here's a good view of the cockpit customization with the carbon sheet holding the bracket for the Garmin computer and the BTA bottle spacer.
All screws are titanium, the whole setup is quite light!

This maybe shows better the color fade; In most pictures the dark blue appears to be black.

This bike is also my first bike that does not have 2-button shifters, can't say I like being forced to the 'synchronized shifting mode' - I do not like it so far.
I got the parts to add satellite shifters to switch back to "manual shifting mode" for the FD - but I have yet to see if I can fit them in a clean and ergonomic way to the brake levers.

As I got the bike in mid September and passed more time tweaking it than actually riding it before the weather got too cold (to my taste anyway) to ride on the roads, I do not have many rides on it yet but looking forward to next spring.

(Is that enough pictures?) :)

Just curious - is it possible to get this down to 7 degree tilt ? Their website says u can use the trek adapters to get to 14, but I like a bit flatter.

I have seen someone selling the Ascalon extensions like you have. No mounting hardware for the trek though. Was going to pull the trigger but these seem to revolve around a lot of tilt ?
Quote Reply
Re: New Trek Speed Concept [IamSpartacus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
IamSpartacus wrote:

Just curious - is it possible to get this down to 7 degree tilt ? Their website says u can use the trek adapters to get to 14, but I like a bit flatter.

I have seen someone selling the Ascalon extensions like you have. No mounting hardware for the trek though. Was going to pull the trigger but these seem to revolve around a lot of tilt ?

The stock Ascalon adapter for the Disc version of the Trek SC gives you 21 deg natively. You can go +/-7 deg with the Trek angled spacers, so 14, 21 or 28 degrees.

So 14 deg would be the minimum.

In my pictures above, the first pic with the bike on the brick wall (bike shop build) it was at 21 deg (no angled spacers). In the other pictures is after I tweaked my setup, this is how it looks at 14 degrees. It's kind of subtle in my opinion. Your hands would get pretty low using a flat bar, due to the angle and offset of the handles.

If you really want less than 14 degrees, it's a long shot but you can always reach out to Aerocoach and see if they can offer a custom adapter with less angle. I know they can offer custom versions of the extensions (different length, or handle angles).

---------------------------------
T. Guertin / Spocket
Last edited by: spocket: Apr 7, 24 5:50
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for that - I rode the 14 for ages and recently switched to 7 and have been liking it. Hmmmm. Curious to see how much for and aft these bars have as well as pad movement laterally. Will also need lower towers than the 30mm that’s on there with the negative spacer (likes yours). Bit of faffing working out stack height.
Quote Reply
Re: New Trek Speed Concept [IamSpartacus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The aerobar adapters have a ~10mm "side offset" from the Trek SC towers and can be mounted in 2 positions (actual measurement is 9.3 mm offset I was told by AC);

- I have them mounted in the narrow position: I end up w about 40 mm center-to-center of the bar end shifters at the tip
- You can inverse the LEFT and RIGHT bar adapters and the width between the bars would increase by 38-40mm

Personally I would like if the bars were just ~5mm more apart but going +40mm is not an option: getting a narrower setup than the stock bars was one of the main reasons for going aftermarket.

Stack: yes when using the angled spacer, I had to change the tower base to the next size down to compensate.

For the pads, I did end up using the dremel a bit on the mounting slots of the pad holders to put them where I wanted them.

If I can help with some basic measurements, I can try - just msg me; But the bike frame size, base bar, etc will all be factors.

T. Guertin / Spocket
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Champion ! I go check out these bars tomorrow so if I have questions I’ll hit you up !

Great info re: can inverse the adapters and the side offset measurements - seems like you could spend a day tinkering on a set up. ATM my pads are 18cm apart centre to centre. I don’t mind close bar ends, I like to be touching or close to.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Anyone had creaking apparently coming from the IsoSpeed? Mostly happens when sitting (not in aero position) when more weight is on the saddle. Drives me nuts though, a little creak every pedal stroke. I like my bikes dead silent, just a little purr from the chain and hissing from the tires :)
Bike has only 300 miles (but has been sitting in the basement all winter).

Maybe all it needs is a bit of lube...
Service manual seems to bring caution to only have it serviced at an authorized dealer though; Anyone here yet took the whole thing apart and re built using the manual's instructions?

T. Guertin / Spocket
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
spocket wrote:
Anyone had creaking apparently coming from the IsoSpeed? Mostly happens when sitting (not in aero position) when more weight is on the saddle. Drives me nuts though, a little creak every pedal stroke. I like my bikes dead silent, just a little purr from the chain and hissing from the tires :)
Bike has only 300 miles (but has been sitting in the basement all winter).

Maybe all it needs is a bit of lube...
Service manual seems to bring caution to only have it serviced at an authorized dealer though; Anyone here yet took the whole thing apart and re built using the manual's instructions?

Yes, had the same on mine, just a bit of lube and you are all set, completely silent since them.
Quote Reply
Re: New Trek Speed Concept [lcparlatto] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Did you get this sorted out? Mine is creaking and getting louder and louder. My trek shop won’t service it and want me to bring it elsewhere even though I bought it from them. I could do it myself, but like you said, the service manual says not to.
Quote Reply
Re: New Trek Speed Concept [aaronl3182] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
aaronl3182 wrote:
Did you get this sorted out? Mine is creaking and getting louder and louder. My trek shop won’t service it and want me to bring it elsewhere even though I bought it from them. I could do it myself, but like you said, the service manual says not to.

What kind of mickey mouse shop is this? They won't service the bike they sold you? wth.

Anyhow, yes I fixed the issue: I serviced it myself - no big deal really. No special skills or tools needed other than the usual (including a good torque wrench). Make sure you have blue thread lock.
Be careful when removing the pivot bolt, the washers can fall in the frame - although it fell in a small cavity in front of the set post hole for me, so easy to get.

I was afraid to go full torque when securing the pivot bolt again (I did not want to crack something) so I went a bit less.

Dead silent again now - creak all gone :)

T. Guertin / Spocket
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just got done putting it back together. All silent, and like you said, not hard at all. The washer dropped on me to but was easy to get. Thank you so much!
Quote Reply
Re: New Trek Speed Concept [aaronl3182] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Out of curiosity for those running the BTA, what did you do with that gigantic straw? Did you cut it in the “desired” measure? Do you wrap it around the bottle? Leave it all inside the bottle having the risk of folding and not being able to drink when the bottle is halfway empty…?

All feedback and ideas are appreciate. Thanks.
Last edited by: lcparlatto: Apr 25, 24 17:01
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The thing was so long I was afraid it would get caught in the spokes! I cut mine back to the desired length.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thank you for asking this, I was wondering the same. So far I've done the wrap around inside approach, but as you say that does make it harder to drink. That said I'm still experimenting with the right length for me. I'm used to the solid straw of a torhans or profile aerobottle that sticks up and is 'always there' to drink. The soft straw on this needs a different approach. Also I found that when I pulled the bite valve that last little bit it tended to pull a bit of the straw out the bottle - a couple of inches over the course of a 3hr ride.
Quote Reply

Prev Next