Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: What is your solo (or near-solo) epic endurance journey this year? [Sbernardi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sbernardi wrote:
Just finished R2R2R

Hardest thing I have ever done. But absolutely worth it. It was amazing

Planning on doing this next May. Did you do it in 1 day or 2? We're doing N to S on day 1, then S to N on day 2.
Quote Reply
Re: What is your solo (or near-solo) epic endurance journey this year? [DV8R] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
All in 1 day. That’s what makes it so dam hard. Had friends do it your way 2wks ago... they’re doing R2R2R this coming week lol

It’s a great challenge and amazing place.

Now think of walmsley doing it in 5:55. I believe this is one of, if not the most amazing running feat ever.

http://www.TriScottsdale.org
Quote Reply
Re: What is your solo (or near-solo) epic endurance journey this year? [doug in co] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
doug in co wrote:
otherwise my plan for solo endurance journey was for a 5 day elk hunt (in my case armed hiking) in the White River NF. In previous years attempted to backpack in and hunt, but this doesn't work, because the elk are either not in the area, or move far and fast away from disturbances like that. So it will be a series of trail runs carrying a rifle, 10-15 miles each day, plus offtrail bushwhacking into spots that look good on the satellite pics. Used to do this sort of thing in the Army, but this is better, as the elk don't shoot back.
Remains to be seen if I have the heart for it..

logistics are sleep in back of the truck, use trail run gear to carry emergency kit and day food, giant frame backpack in the truck for packing out in case my luck shows up. 4am start to be in place before shooting hours, so the first 5-6miles in the dark with headlamp. Stay to last light, so the last miles ditto. Eat, sleep. Repeat until the season ends.

got in 3 days only, even that took me to the limits of my endurance.. which is a short distance, these days. The scouting trip got me worried as a backpack route I thought of as moderate, turned into a survival plod while favoring the bad knee. Hoped that was just an aberration, and blindly plunged like fate into the lone backcountry.

Drove in through a good winter storm on the passes, Loveland and Vail. Plan was to hike in before dark, but slow going traffic and snow meant arrival at the trailhead in last light. Slept in the truck, a 4-ft bed which gets to 6ft with the tailgate down. Only an inch of toes hanging off the edge, then.

The zero-degree sleeping bag kept me warm while the outer nylon frosted into an icy shell by 3:30am. Up and hit the trail in moonlight and 3-4" of snow, 30lb backpack plus 8lb of rifle. This went OK for a mile or two and 1500ft up, then Windy Gap nearly blew me over. After this is a short section of ledge trail with a good long plummet off the trail.
In daylight on the way back,

now imagine that at 4am with snow, blowing snow, stiff winds, 2ft of snow over no perceptible trail with no visibility but a strong sense of vasty deeps in the windy dark.
Chickened out (prudence is the name I'd prefer), crawled back into the woods for shelter and waited for daylight. Finally got to use that survival bivy sack I've been carrying for decades. By daylight another hunter had gone up and left footsteps.

Further along there were fresh elk tracks. This was most likely a solitary bull as the cows herd up for winter. Dropped the pack and followed these for an hour, then met my own footprints coming back around a tangle of deadfall. The elk like a manoeuvre termed the j-hook, will circle back on their own tracks to check for followers. Clearly I'm not as smart as the average elk. Still don't know where he went after the hook, maybe was lying doggo in the deadfall.

Back through the pathless woods to the trail which disappeared again under blown snow at the ridge. Picked a drainage to follow which I believed would intersect the trail lower and luckily was right. I've done that before only to end up on a cliff with fine views but no way forward. Dropped the pack in camp spot and ran around the woods looking for signs of elk life. Plenty of old sign, no fresh tracks, no bedding areas, not much of anything. I'd have hiked back out if physically capable of it. Good country though.

Spent the night in perfect silence with Mars glowing redly in the east, moving overhead as we turned toward dawn. Up at 5am to hike up a ridge and look for beasts in the early light. There was more deadfall navigation to the hilltop. Nothing to be seen except another two hunters vivid in their hunting orange. Later there were two shots, booming into the silence of late fall in this high country. Walked the dark woods along the ridges and past potential bedding areas identified from topo maps and satellite pictures, nobody home. Scrambled up another peak in the evening to look around, country all quiet and still.

Out again in the morning, three and a half hours to do five miles and 2000 feet of elevation change. There was a day left in the season, but I had no plans for hunting from the road. My strategy had always been to be fitter and stronger than the other guys, move fast and cover ground in the back country. I hadn't realized just how old I'd grown. Gave up and went home, fished a bit at a lake on the way home, a good trout red as a salmon, kept for dinner.

Quote Reply
Re: What is your solo (or near-solo) epic endurance journey this year? [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
Sbernardi wrote:
Today is Runstreak day 2400. 24hrs in the day.... 1 mile every hour. Started at midnight 8 to go

waaaah!

when i was in high school we had this thing called the 24hr relay. you're basically doing it. 10 on a team. it was around a track. we had a kind of all-start HS team, from our league. we did 255 miles, which means you're resting for 47 or so minutes between each mile (not counting the time it takes to run the mile). one my epic lifetime memories.

Ditto.. did the 24hr relay on the B team at university, the A team set a new Universities record at 290 miles 383 yards. I averaged 5:23 per mile over 24 hours.. now I can't run even one at that speed. We did about 250 miles on the B team, those were some pretty hot HS runners on your team..

A team results, compiled by me as team secretary,

Quote Reply
Re: What is your solo (or near-solo) epic endurance journey this year? [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not sure how I missed this thread before, but the whole thing was a fantastic read.

Not as impressive as many here, but I rode my gravel bike through 5 different states in a single day. It was 250 miles on the nose and the two of us rode nearly every surface imaginable. We only found a couple routes in the USA where I think it's possible to hit 5 states within a day for us mortals.
Quote Reply

Prev Next