Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Tour of Sufferlandia 2020 [alaska848] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've done the ToS in nuclear mode for the last 3-4 years. But this year I caught some bug the week before and was still feeling the effects for the first couple of stages. So, not nuclear this year. In fact, after today's stage, my Garmin reported that my recovery time was ... 3. I've never seen such a thing before, easy workouts are 12 hr recovery and hard workouts might be 24 hr recovery. What is the 3 hr recovery from a pretty hard ride? Ahhhhh...not 3 hr, but 3 DAYS. But not to worry, tomorrow morning I'll be on Stage 5 with, what, 64 intervals? I'm sure that it will all be fine.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm still going at 100%.

For some reason, ISTLAGIATT was the hardest for me and then everything seemed to click. Fight Club after Bat seemed just as doable as when I was fresh. Legs were trashed trying to do Power Station on the prescribed cadences. Team Scream felt easy this morning - I remember it being harder for some reason. My general sense is that I've gotten stronger since I last tested my 4DP in November.

I've never done Violator, so we'll see how that fares tomorrow.
Quote Reply
Re: Tour of Sufferlandia 2020 [rrutis] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
got mine a few days after exchanging emails with minions; not a fb user

doing the tour at 90-95%; start out at 90% and if doing ok kick it up to 95% at halfway point of ride
Quote Reply
Re: Tour of Sufferlandia 2020 [heyMartin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm doing it in the get it done mode using their training plan for that. I'm a bit surprised how little it's backed down in some workouts.
Using a Gen 1 Stages left only PM on a dumb Rock Machine made Team Scream sooo hard to manage all the little changes. Pretty much failed that workout.
The others have been mostly manageable. I'm going a day ahead so I can take Sat off to go running.
Then finish with that 2:45 last stage.
Ouch
Quote Reply
Re: Tour of Sufferlandia 2020 [timbasile] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You're doing better than me. ISLAGIATT didn't seem much harder than I remember. With the kids home I stacked Fight Club and Bat back to back and did not make it through on 100%.

Now, like another poster said, I'm on get it done mode. Still, nothing like an early season boost in bike fitness!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm a bit late to the party - ISLAGIATT this afternoon, managed it OK on my reduced (from last year) FTP. The Bat and Fight Club should be do-able, one in the morning, one in the afternoon
Quote Reply
Re: Tour of Sufferlandia 2020 [dah5609] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No, gotta do it back to back! Knights rules.
(Do it however you want)
Quote Reply
Re: Tour of Sufferlandia 2020 [giorgitd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Long-standing wahoo and sufferfedt customer here who just cancelled today after realizing without any notice from SUF that my subscription was going up 30%.... reading here that Facebook is how they choose to communicate I'm even more annoyed.

I too am motivated to try other options.... plus I still have my extensive library of Sufferfedt downloads I purchased in the past....

I think the smart trainer app wars are getting out of control and reasonable price points to enable us to enjoy our very expensive trainers.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Im doing the focussed ToS. It has been interesting to see how they tweak the stages vs Nuclear. All have been a minimum 90% of FTP, but often the MAP and AC are dialed back to 80%. This can make for some comedy sprints where the MAP target is lower than the FTP based interval immediately before it, but overall it has worked well for me so far.
Quote Reply
Re: Tour of Sufferlandia 2020 [Greg R] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Your gripe about communication is certainly valid. But, all of the trainer platforms are raising prices like crazy. Trainerroad twice in less than a year! DCRainmaker says that we will look at these current prices as super bargains in a couple of years. Maybe most will be aligned with the $40/mo like Peloton... One consumer advantage is the low barrier to moving among platforms. Zwift this year, Sufferfest next, then Trainerroad... They will each need to think about how to retain (or swipe from others) customers. TR promises not to raise prices for existing customers, a potentially good strategy unless the prices for new customers get so high that it inhibits growth. Tricky...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Greg R wrote:
Long-standing wahoo and sufferfedt customer here who just cancelled today after realizing without any notice from SUF that my subscription was going up 30%.... reading here that Facebook is how they choose to communicate I'm even more annoyed.

I too am motivated to try other options.... plus I still have my extensive library of Sufferfedt downloads I purchased in the past....

I think the smart trainer app wars are getting out of control and reasonable price points to enable us to enjoy our very expensive trainers.

They sent out an announcement about the price increase in January. Sorry that you didn't receive it.

Janyne
Quote Reply
Re: Tour of Sufferlandia 2020 [jmkizer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I might check my spam filter, but all I can see from January are marketing emails about a 14 day offer. Regardless, probably wouldn't have changed my decision. I agree with earlier comments that some of us are in a market segment that isn't interested in a new featureset or in competing with Zwift and Peloton, or in multi-player/social capability - and maybe 2 tier pricing would address that, or legacy pricing for long-standing subscribers and Wahoo trainer customers. I understand that many people are, but for me there is a limit to the subscription ecosystem I'm willing to support in our sport.

Enjoy the tour for those of you competing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Greg R wrote:
I might check my spam filter, but all I can see from January are marketing emails about a 14 day offer. Regardless, probably wouldn't have changed my decision. I agree with earlier comments that some of us are in a market segment that isn't interested in a new featureset or in competing with Zwift and Peloton, or in multi-player/social capability - and maybe 2 tier pricing would address that, or legacy pricing for long-standing subscribers and Wahoo trainer customers. I understand that many people are, but for me there is a limit to the subscription ecosystem I'm willing to support in our sport.

Enjoy the tour for those of you competing.

I totally agree! Most of the time I use Zwift for riding and The Sufferfest for yoga. If that changed, I'd drop one in a heartbeat.

Janyne
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
First time riding the ToS. Love it. Team Scream in particular is a new favorite.

Stage 7 felt like the calm before the storm. Stages 8 and 9 will be tough.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tour complete. Legs tired but tons of fun. Who plans on doing Grunter's Gran Fondo?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I thought that GGF was Stage 9....?
Quote Reply
Re: Tour of Sufferlandia 2020 [giorgitd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good catch! For some reason, I thought GGF was an optional extra. Completed it this morning. Now the ToS is done. I'm curious to hear how it went for everyone.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well that was fun. Managed to get all stage at 100%. Most of it went well, except for the tool shed yesterday. My weakness seems to be repeated ~3ish min intervals and hammer 9 was absolutely awful.

My 6 year old even asked "is daddy ok? He doesn't look so good" which I guess in Sufferlandrian terms is a badge of honor.

Todays 3 course workout went fairly well, despite the accumulated fatigue. I found Angels harder than Thin Air.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm done. This one was tougher than the previous versions for me, maybe, partially b/c I started the ToS at the end of a respiratory virus. The first couple of stages were extra tough as I was still congested and tired. But things came around OK, but I did the 'get me through it' plan. Stage 9 (today) was long but not super tough - although the end of the last climb seemed to go on forever...
Quote Reply

Prev Next