Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: FLO 60/90 vs FLO 60/Disc on a 2020 Trek Speed Concept (and Arm Cups/Pads!) [meanred] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
meanred wrote:
I now as well do agree that a 60/60/disc is the way to go together with a pair of training wheels for shorter, off-seasonish rides (heck, when do we have an off season anyway?).
I would ditch the concept of "training wheels" and just get wheels. Use them everyday. The FLO and HED wheels are freakin' bomb proof and worth using as daily riders. I only have a 9/disc for my bike, and that is what I train on. And, if you train on a disc, you will never need a shallower wheel, because you will be comfortable in all conditions.

It is unlikely that I would ever be in a race that I could not use my disc. I was one of the minority riders in the Nice 70.3 WC with a disc, and it was the perfect choice for me. If I ever qualify for Kona, I would rent a rear wheel. But I would otherwise use my disc every other time.
Quote Reply
Re: FLO 60/90 vs FLO 60/Disc on a 2020 Trek Speed Concept (and Arm Cups/Pads!) [exxxviii] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
exxxviii wrote:
meanred wrote:
I now as well do agree that a 60/60/disc is the way to go together with a pair of training wheels for shorter, off-seasonish rides (heck, when do we have an off season anyway?).
I would ditch the concept of "training wheels" and just get wheels. Use them everyday. The FLO and HED wheels are freakin' bomb proof and worth using as daily riders. I only have a 9/disc for my bike, and that is what I train on. And, if you train on a disc, you will never need a shallower wheel, because you will be comfortable in all conditions.

It is unlikely that I would ever be in a race that I could not use my disc. I was one of the minority riders in the Nice 70.3 WC with a disc, and it was the perfect choice for me. If I ever qualify for Kona, I would rent a rear wheel. But I would otherwise use my disc every other time.

Definitely a choice for Olympic distances? I've been wanting to learn about this "myth" where using a disc on shorter races would not be necessary. But I think it's "free speed" we can't overlook.
Quote Reply
Re: FLO 60/90 vs FLO 60/Disc on a 2020 Trek Speed Concept (and Arm Cups/Pads!) [meanred] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Speed is speed. Speed does not care about distance. A disc will make you faster at every distance. And in Olympics and sprints, where seconds matter, you definitely want a disc. When I race Olympics and sprints, I am racing for AG & masters podium. Those slots are often separated by 10 seconds or fewer. Without a disc, I would have lost slots in a few races or fallen off the podium entirely.
Quote Reply
Re: FLO 60/90 vs FLO 60/Disc on a 2020 Trek Speed Concept (and Arm Cups/Pads!) [exxxviii] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
exxxviii wrote:
Speed is speed. Speed does not care about distance. A disc will make you faster at every distance. And in Olympics and sprints, where seconds matter, you definitely want a disc. When I race Olympics and sprints, I am racing for AG & masters podium. Those slots are often separated by 10 seconds or fewer. Without a disc, I would have lost slots in a few races or fallen off the podium entirely.

Got it. Thanks for that, mate!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
exxxviii wrote:
meanred wrote:

100% agree with this.

If you can only afford one rear wheel, go disc and never look back. It adds stability, is faster, looks cool and makes you feel badass which helps with race-day psychology.

Personally, day-to-day I'd get annoyed having a disc as my only training wheel (needing a crack pipe all the time to inflate which can be a bit tricky single handed), so I'd also want a 9 rear. But if you do most of your riding on the trainer, this wouldn't be a problem. But if you ride outdoors year round, maybe you'd want to get a 9 eventually.

But bottom line is start with the disc. if you find it's getting to be a hassle, maybe see if you can find a 9 pre-owned for training, and if it's not a problem, then you'll have the faster setup.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
meanred wrote:
Hi Forums!

Scoured around the forums to find a more updated post on the new FLO wheels but wasn't in luck.

May I please ask what you all think about getting a 60/90 set versus a 60/Disc set? People have told me the difference between a 90 and a Disc is far too minimal to even notice and that some have regretted going for the 90 and should've bought a Disc instead. There are also some pre-conceived notions on Discs that they are "hard to work with" or "harder to pedal".

I race mostly on Oly and 70.3 and I plan to upgrade my wheels together with a new Trek P1 Speed Concept coming in a few weeks. What would work best for my case and why?

Good question. It really depends on what you want from the wheels. Are you looking for the fastest option, then go with the disc. If you are looking for a more versatile set that you can use for training and racing (without any limitations like Kona), then the 60/90 might be better. Both options are fast, but I think it comes down to what you want from the wheels, and where you will get the most benefit, use, and enjoyment.

Does that make sense?

Chris Thornham
Co-Founder And Previous Owner Of FLO Cycling
Quote Reply
Re: FLO 60/90 vs FLO 60/Disc on a 2020 Trek Speed Concept (and Arm Cups/Pads!) [wintershade] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
wintershade wrote:
Personally, day-to-day I'd get annoyed having a disc as my only training wheel (needing a crack pipe all the time to inflate which can be a bit tricky single handed) . .

Ditch the crack pipe and get one of these, which locks onto the valve from the side. Not cheap but it saves so much aggravation.

https://www.amazon.com/...00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Quote Reply
Re: FLO 60/90 vs FLO 60/Disc on a 2020 Trek Speed Concept (and Arm Cups/Pads!) [dktxracer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks! I just ordered it. Brilliant.

Not cheap for a chuck, but certainly cheaper than an additional rear wheel.
Quote Reply
Re: FLO 60/90 vs FLO 60/Disc on a 2020 Trek Speed Concept (and Arm Cups/Pads!) [wintershade] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Big +1 to the HIRO. It will change your life. I went through 3 crack pipes before I got my HIRO.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
exxxviii wrote:
Big +1 to the HIRO. It will change your life. I went through 3 crack pipes before I got my HIRO.

The cracks pipes, at least the Silca one, is "supposed" to hold onto the valve by itself. We call know that doesn't work.

Another benefit to the Hiro is that it seems to bleed very little air during removal.
Quote Reply
Re: FLO 60/90 vs FLO 60/Disc on a 2020 Trek Speed Concept (and Arm Cups/Pads!) [Canadian] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Canadian wrote:
meanred wrote:
Hi Forums!

Scoured around the forums to find a more updated post on the new FLO wheels but wasn't in luck.

May I please ask what you all think about getting a 60/90 set versus a 60/Disc set? People have told me the difference between a 90 and a Disc is far too minimal to even notice and that some have regretted going for the 90 and should've bought a Disc instead. There are also some pre-conceived notions on Discs that they are "hard to work with" or "harder to pedal".

I race mostly on Oly and 70.3 and I plan to upgrade my wheels together with a new Trek P1 Speed Concept coming in a few weeks. What would work best for my case and why?

Good question. It really depends on what you want from the wheels. Are you looking for the fastest option, then go with the disc. If you are looking for a more versatile set that you can use for training and racing (without any limitations like Kona), then the 60/90 might be better. Both options are fast, but I think it comes down to what you want from the wheels, and where you will get the most benefit, use, and enjoyment.

Does that make sense?

Thanks for stopping by, Chris! Definitely going for the disc as it is the setup I want. Will place my order in a few days right before my bike gets here. Can't wait to head out and use it!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
meanred wrote:
Canadian wrote:
meanred wrote:
Hi Forums!

Does that make sense?

Thanks for stopping by, Chris! Definitely going for the disc as it is the setup I want. Will place my order in a few days right before my bike gets here. Can't wait to head out and use it!

Great! Let me know if you have any more questions.

Have a great day,

Chris Thornham
Quote Reply
Re: FLO 60/90 vs FLO 60/Disc on a 2020 Trek Speed Concept (and Arm Cups/Pads!) [Canadian] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
UPDATE:

Pulled the trigger on a set of FLO 60/Discs! Read a ton of other forum posts and really happy and confident about my choice and my purchase.

Thank you for the help, everyone!

**Also got the Silca crack pipe!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
meanred wrote:
UPDATE:

Pulled the trigger on a set of FLO 60/Discs! Read a ton of other forum posts and really happy and confident about my choice and my purchase.

Bit late to the party. Congrats with you purchase.

On the crack pipe locking pumphead department I suggest to get the KCNC pump head. Basically the same as the Silca, but half the price :) More info here:

https://www.tririg.com/...9_Pump_Head_Shootout

$ 40,00 over here (this is de version I have. Works like a charm):

https://fairwheelbikes.com/kcnc-pump-head/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The cups are fine but cups are a personal thing.....the pads suck.
Quote Reply
Re: FLO 60/90 vs FLO 60/Disc on a 2020 Trek Speed Concept (and Arm Cups/Pads!) [Cnasta] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Cnasta wrote:
meanred wrote:
UPDATE:

On the crack pipe locking pumphead department I suggest to get the KCNC pump head. Basically the same as the Silca, but half the price :) More info here:

I have flo disc. I just cut the bike pump chuck handle a bit shorter

No need for a crack pipe. Fits right in the opening in the disc

Makes it so much easier
Quote Reply
Re: FLO 60/90 vs FLO 60/Disc on a 2020 Trek Speed Concept (and Arm Cups/Pads!) [Cnasta] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Cnasta wrote:
meanred wrote:
UPDATE:

I run Flo 60/Disc Carbons on my SC as well... really like the setup. I also suggest the KCNC adapter, have mine on a Lezyne travel sized pump. Lastly I put CeeGees on my SC after my stock pads fell apart... much better.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
meanred wrote:
UPDATE:

Glad to hear you are happy with the choice. Thank you for the support. Enjoy the new wheels!

Chris Thornham
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Since we're on the topic here, may I ask what you guys use to cover the disc wheel valve? Also, should I cover or not cover? What are the implications?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
meanred wrote:
Since we're on the topic here, may I ask what you guys use to cover the disc wheel valve? Also, should I cover or not cover? What are the implications?

We've actually tested that in the wind tunnel and written an article on that topic titled: FLO Cycling – Does Covering the Valve Cutout on a DISC Wheel Matter? I won't post to the article since I've been asked to not post links to our site from the forum.

Regardless, covering the valve cutout will save you about 2 seconds on a 40k and 8s during an IM. I'd say, start your race covered if those few seconds matter to you, but don't waste your time re-covering if you flat.

We use 2" wide electrical tape or clear packing tape.

I hope that helps,

Chris Thornham
Quote Reply

Prev Next