Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Cervelo TT and Triathlon Bikes

Eric,

This thread is really helpful. I’m looking at potentially a P3 or P5, likely used. The attached fit report is from my Guru. Could you suggest a bike and size?

Thanks,

Rob

Fit Data.pdf

OK, your Guru fit report gives you a Pad Stack of 726 and a Pad Reach of 424 to mid-pad, which normalized for rear of pad is 374. Your stack is quite high, and your reach is quite short… how tall are you? Can you post a pic?

So stack of 726 and reach of 374 puts you off the charts for a P3x, but if you had a more normal reach you’d be a size XL.

You’d also be a size 61cm P5-6 with the High-V mount, again with a more orthodox reach.

I think we need to do more research here…

Eric

Eric,

This thread is really helpful. I’m looking at potentially a P3 or P5, likely used. The attached fit report is from my Guru. Could you suggest a bike and size?

Thanks,

Rob

Eric,

Thanks for the feedback. I’m 6’0" with a short torso/long limbs. I’ve attached a pic of the bike but unfortunately I don’t have any pictures riding. The pic will give you some perspective on a configuration question.

With your feedback and looking at the frame diagrams on Cervelo’s website I went out in the garage and measured on the same points they list for stack/reach.They seem to measure stack from the BB to the top of the top tube versus pad and measure reach to the base of the stem. In measuring my Guru, the numbers are ~560 and ~420-430, corresponding to a 58cm P3 frame. (The P5 looks like the 58cm frame is 20mm shorter than the P3?)

Using Dan’s Pad X/Y method, I get a stack of 740 and reach of 480. Since the newer P5’s integrated headset limits fit flexibility, I’m wondering if I can get a P5 to the right dimensions or if I’m better served looking at a P3?

Rob

IMG_4529.jpg

Ok these numbers make more sense but you’re barely on the charts… you’re still very high and very far back, so I’m wondering if you couldn’t be a little more optimized with your fit.

That said, you’d be a size XL in the P3x, and a size 61cm with all the spacers and the High-V mount on the P5-6.

You would probably not be able to fit on the P5d, not without a fit change, and you’d need the P3x EX10 mono-riser to achieve that.

There’s nothing about you that says you need a P3, but you’d probably need a 58cm or 61cm P3 with aerobars that can be adjusted well back. P3s are a great bike with an aftermarket aerobar like TriRig Alpha One as a matter of fact.

does this help?
Eric

Eric,

Thanks for the feedback. I’m 6’0" with a short torso/long limbs. I’ve attached a pic of the bike but unfortunately I don’t have any pictures riding. The pic will give you some perspective on a configuration question.

With your feedback and looking at the frame diagrams on Cervelo’s website I went out in the garage and measured on the same points they list for stack/reach.They seem to measure stack from the BB to the top of the top tube versus pad and measure reach to the base of the stem. In measuring my Guru, the numbers are ~560 and ~420-430, corresponding to a 58cm P3 frame. (The P5 looks like the 58cm frame is 20mm shorter than the P3?)

Using Dan’s Pad X/Y method, I get a stack of 740 and reach of 480. Since the newer P5’s integrated headset limits fit flexibility, I’m wondering if I can get a P5 to the right dimensions or if I’m better served looking at a P3?

Rob

Eric,

Very helpful! Thanks for your thoughts. Gives me good questions to ask my fitter.

Best,

Rob

Eric, I’m trying to decide between a P5 and a P3X

A fitter last night placed my Pad Y at 640 but I have been riding 660
Pad X (Rear) is 450
Sorry, I don’t know the Pad Z
Saddle height is 795

Thanks for the help!

It’s all about the saddle… try as many as you can and find the one that works.

good luck

Eric

Eric,

Very helpful! Thanks for your thoughts. Gives me good questions to ask my fitter.

Best,

Rob

I guess it depends on what you’re intending to do with your bike… not that both bikes can’t do all triathlons.

P3x incentivizes long course athletes with fluids and calories. With a Pad Stack of 640 and Pad Reach of 450 you could fit on M or an L, sort of “high mid-forward” on the M and “middle back” on the L.

P5 is likely faster in a “light” configurations… you’d be a 54cm or a 56cm… “high-mid” on the 54cm and “mid-back” on the 56cm.

Do you have a pic from your fitter? My recommendation would depend on where you might go with your position in the future.

Eric

Eric, I’m trying to decide between a P5 and a P3X

A fitter last night placed my Pad Y at 640 but I have been riding 660
Pad X (Rear) is 450
Sorry, I don’t know the Pad Z
Saddle height is 795

Thanks for the help!

Pad x: 600
Pad y: 465
Pad z: (center to center) 170
Seat height (center of BB to top of saddle in middle) 758

I’m interested in the P5d. I’m currently on a 56 cm 2011 P3C, which fits well, but it looks like I could drop down to a 54 P5d with no problem.

Thanks!

Long and low! You’re one of my peeps…

With a Pad Stack of 600 and a Pad Reach of 465 you are most definitely a 54cm P5d. You could fit on a 56, and are on the far reaches of a 51, but I see no reason why you’d want to do that when the 54 is perfect for you.

You are a 54cm P5d… go forth with confidence and be aero my friend!

Eric

Pad x: 600
Pad y: 465
Pad z: (center to center) 170
Seat height (center of BB to top of saddle in middle) 758

I’m interested in the P5d. I’m currently on a 56 cm 2011 P3C, which fits well, but it looks like I could drop down to a 54 P5d with no problem.

Thanks!

Hi Eric,

Thanks for this thread, and thanks in advance for your help. I’m currently on a P4 and looking to possibly make the switch to the new P5 disc. Here’s my current fit on the P4 from my last fitting (saddle change). Note that I’m currently using Pro Missile Evo aerobars, to which I added some custom 10 deg. wedge shims to get the extension angle I needed (primarily for comfort - too much shoulder tension with flat extensions). Any insight on the best cockpit setup with the various options would be much appreciated.

-John

Screen Shot 2019-08-15 at 2.11.40 PM.jpg

Here’s a photo of my position from the fitting session:

Screen Shot 2019-08-15 at 2.12.51 PM.jpg

Eric, Do you have suggestions for computer placement on the P5d. The mount that comes with it seems to require you to take the mount off to get the computer off. I am trying a K-Edge with the dial lock on the back, but that seems to have to go on the round part of the extension which puts the computer in perfect position between the extensions, BUT I can’t wrap my fingers fully around the extensions. Certainly there is a solution, I just have’t figured it out. FYI - I am still using Garmin 510. Thanks,

Good job on the fit… looks good. You also chose well with a P4 and the Pro Missile cockpit.

With a pad stack of 638 and a pad reach of 434 you are sort of in between sizes on the P5d. You’re in the upper-middle range of a 51cm P5d and the middle-back range of a 54cm P5d.

With the exact same position as pictured on your P4, you’d be fine on the 51cm… the mono-riser would be at the 70mm position and the pads in the +15 position. You could still get 20mm longer if need be at that stack.

As for cockpit options, I think you have two… go with the 50 degree extensions and an aftermarket pad tilt option like you have on your P4, or go with the EX-10 mono-riser from the P3x, which would give you tilt as well as additional reach and width options.

So… 51cm P5d. Make sense?

Eric

Hi Eric,

Thanks for this thread, and thanks in advance for your help. I’m currently on a P4 and looking to possibly make the switch to the new P5 disc. Here’s my current fit on the P4 from my last fitting (saddle change). Note that I’m currently using Pro Missile Evo aerobars, to which I added some custom 10 deg. wedge shims to get the extension angle I needed (primarily for comfort - too much shoulder tension with flat extensions). Any insight on the best cockpit setup with the various options would be much appreciated.

-John

hi David, I’ve been following that line of thought on the P5d thread. I don’t have any real suggestions, except that my preferred method is the Speedfil BTA bottle cage with the Garmin mount attached. I use a low profile Garmin 130 and so it’s fairly hidden.

You mentioned extensions… I would argue that if you’re wrapping your fingers around your extensions you’re doing it wrong. Try jamming the heels of your hands into the ends of your ski bends, rotating hands, forearms, and shoulders inward. Give yourself trigger finger shifter buttons instead of thumb position ones. You’re a gunslinger, not a helicopter pilot. Adjust/swap extensions to make this method work. In conjunction with elbows on pads, you have a solid foundation from which to shrug and turtle from which requires zero energy to hold.

Eric

dEric, Do you have suggestions for computer placement on the P5d. The mount that comes with it seems to require you to take the mount off to get the computer off. I am trying a K-Edge with the dial lock on the back, but that seems to have to go on the round part of the extension which puts the computer in perfect position between the extensions, BUT I can’t wrap my fingers fully around the extensions. Certainly there is a solution, I just have’t figured it out. FYI - I am still using Garmin 510. Thanks,

Thank you so much.

Obviously you are much younger than me so it would be hard for you to understand that with old eyes the computer on the BTA is completely unreadable :-)!

However, yes I will try to be a gunslinger and see how that works. I appreciate your insight!

Wow. I have to say I was a bit surprised at the recommendation for a 51cm. I’m 6’ 0", and I’m on a 54cm P4. Before that I was on a 55cm P3 alu. However, I’m a visual guy and after plugging in the same numbers into the tool on the Cervelo site I can see exactly what you mean. The 51 does seem to be a much better fit for me than the 54. Thanks again for your help!

-John

Screen Shot 2019-08-16 at 9.24.37 AM.jpg

David,

FWIW, I just turned 50 so I can start to relate to older eyes not seeing quite as well as they used to. I’m also using a Speedfil bottle mount with Garmin mount BTA on my P4 currently and plan to do the same on my next bike. My solution was to go to the larger Garmin 1030, and limit the number of fields on one screen. With the larger screen and 4 fields in the display, I can easily see everything quite clearly and the whole setup is shielded very nicely by my arms. If I need more data fields (usually don’t) I just swipe to a second screen.

-John

Edit: Here’s a shot in full race setup. There’s a bottle and a Garmin 1030 between my arms there. Completely invisible.

170_3rd-2407222-DIGITAL_HIGHRES-2373_008220-17911157.jpg

Beauty of the mono-riser i guess!

I never would have guessed you were 6 foot from that picture. Your fit is orthodox and you’re on a 54cm, so it checked out. You long legged and short torso.

That said, if you think you’ll get longer in the future you can always get the 54cm.

Eric, what size P2 for Pad Y of 68cm and Pad X of 46cm?

Also are Pad X and Y charts for Cervelos listed somewhere where I can access them myself?

Thanks,
Bill