2800 SCM this morning.
300 WU
3x100 pull
4 x (
4x50 IM order w/ 10s rest
4 x 25 fast on :40
2 x 100 T pace on 1:40)
200 CD

Haven’t done much non-free lately. 50 fly was rather unpleasant by the end…

Ohhh the ocean got cold this morning. I’m guessing 56°. But, at least it was totally flat and no king tide (at the time I swam). 2500 some yards at1:24 pace

camp sounds fun, Dev!

10 mi run, 675 yd swim (straight w/ some kick)
felt good to be in the water, though I was swimming slowly.

runs/total days/swims = 37/40/21

I’ve been sick as a dog (again!!) for the last few days, missed Monday’s swim and I’ll be missing tonight’s practice (wife has a hair appointment, and we all know that takes priority. No one gets between my wife and her hair).

I’ll try to skip out at lunch tomorrow to get a swim in. But in the meantime, I just discovered Cody Miller’s youtube channel. Super entertaining, and he’s a Harry Potter fan. I just watched the one from Jan 16, the IU squad did a main set of 120x25. That’s a lot of 25’s…

So I’ve been watching a few of Cody Millers videos.

Watching one from May ‘18

Part of the practice - 800y breast kick for time. (Flip turns, board and one pull into the wall). 9:27. For an 800y breaststroke KICK.

That’s ridiculous…

1:12/100y… Wow. Just. Wow.

FFS that’s my all out 50y free pace.

That’s nuts!

Flip turns with a board… haven’t tried that in a while.

That’s nuts!

Flip turns with a board… haven’t tried that in a while.

Yeah, it’s flippin insane. That’s faster than most people on here can SWIM the 800, and he’s kicking it…breaststroke…

I’m seriously addicted to his youtube channel. And watching it, I’ve really changed my impression of Lily King. All I really knew about her before was the drama around Efimova back in '16 (and I still don’t care for that kind of thing. I don’t like cheaters, but that was a weird situation that just kinda sucked for everyone involved). I’ve become more of a fan of King’s since starting to watch Cody’s channel.

I’ve watched a few of his videos but I may have to spend some more time checking them out.

3100 SCM this morning
300 WU
100 kick (breastroke with one disastrous flip turn)
50 x 50 as
6 on :50
4 on :45
Alternate swim and pull every 10
Held a steady diet of 36/37 but 37 was getting tough by the end.

Not at all what I was supposed to do but there is one half of one lane in the pool that I hate because there is a grate in the wall right where my feet touch in a flip turn and that was the only lane available to me. So, all I did was 50s to not have to flip at that end. :slight_smile:

JFC!!! Those times are hectic. Just subscribed to his channel, looks like some good stuff on there.

This morning was technical work.

Warm up
300 loose

Prep
16 x 50 IM order

Main set
3 x the whole thing through (fly/breast/free)
{
3 x 75 kick
125 swim (100 basic/25 threshold)
4 x 25 skulling
6 x 25 drill
3 x 50 swim (distance per stroke)
}

Total: 3350 SCM

Tough one for me doing fly in the morning. Also I’m not really sure about the benefits of skulling, although welcomed as a nice rest.

JFC!!! Those times are hectic. Just subscribed to his channel, looks like some good stuff on there.

This morning was technical work.

Warm up
300 loose

Prep
16 x 50 IM order

Main set
3 x the whole thing through (fly/breast/free)
{
3 x 75 kick
125 swim (100 basic/25 threshold)
4 x 25 skulling
6 x 25 drill
3 x 50 swim (distance per stroke)
}

Total: 3350 SCM

Tough one for me doing fly in the morning. Also I’m not really sure about the benefits of skulling, although welcomed as a nice rest.

I love sculling. I suppose it’s a bit of a rest, but I do it as a body position drill as well as for developing forearm strength. I usually do them “no kick, no buoy”, so I get some core work in there too.

3.5 mi run (31:11) w/ 2 x 1.5 km @ 8:41/mi
1275 yd swim

10 x 100 on 1:30
275 mixing kick and swim c/d

runs/total days/swims = 38/41/22

So I’ve been watching a few of Cody Millers videos.

Watching one from May ‘18

Part of the practice - 800y breast kick for time. (Flip turns, board and one pull into the wall). 9:27. For an 800y breaststroke KICK.

That’s ridiculous…

When my arm was all messed up from the bus running over it, I was doing 2x 400IM kick as one of my main sets. The goal was to break 10 minutes but never got under 10:15. 800 yard breast kick with a board that fast is insane. I can’t even swim 800m FREE in 12 minutes!

I’m seriously addicted to his youtube channel.
Love Cody Miller’s videos. I got lost on YT the other day watching his stuff for an hour. I’d like to see more swimming, not sure maybe that’s something the coaching staff keeps a lid on, because it’s always a good learning tool to see what the best are doing. I can’t even comprehend major-level D1 swimming. I’m not sure we’re supposed to know why or how they can go that fast.

I’m seriously addicted to his youtube channel.
Love Cody Miller’s videos. I got lost on YT the other day watching his stuff for an hour. I’d like to see more swimming, not sure maybe that’s something the coaching staff keeps a lid on, because it’s always a good learning tool to see what the best are doing. I can’t even comprehend major-level D1 swimming. I’m not sure we’re supposed to know why or how they can go that fast.

I don’t think its so much that the coaching staff is keeping a lid on it, as much as Cody is the primary filmer for all of the content and he has to do the workouts too. From what I’ve seen, he often shares what the entire workout is for the day. For his target audience too (mostly AG kids coming up, aspiring to swim in D1 or similar) there isn’t a whole lot of value in showing the whole program (that’s what those kids have coaches for). It’s more about attitude, work ethic, overcoming challenges, and his awesome Harry Potter room. Seriously, I am SO jealous of that room.

Jumped in at lunch

750 warmup (150 swim, 150 kick, 150 pull w paddles, 150 1-arm fly/back/br by 50, 150 free)

4 x (5x50 d1-5 @60 w/ 50 ez kick between rounds.

1900m total. All I had time for, since I had to get back to work.

That’s ridiculous… //

Ok, I’m calling bullshit on this one, someone has to be the swim cop here. SO that would be an “average” of 1;10+ per 100, for 800 straight. That would be a hell of a swim for most really good breastrokers, guys that do low 2 minutes for a 200 swim…And he is supposed to have kicked this only?? Do we have video of this kick? Was he a sub 2 minute 200 breastroker in the day? Something smells fishy here…(-;

Sounds to me to be in the category of Andy Potts doing 15x100’s on the 1;05 LCM… He didnt…

It’s what Olympian Cody Miller did in practice. (Bronze in the 100 breast, Gold on the 4x1 Medley Relay in Rio.)

Pretty sure he still IS a sub 2:00 200 breast guy. Wiki lists his 200BR PB at 1:49 and change.

It’s what he reported on his youtube channel, right after he did it during the practice. I believe him.

I’ve decided I HATE swimming. It doesn’t work like the “other” sports, and I can’t figure out how it DOES work.

Swim more = get tired and do poorly
Take a rest = forget how to swim and do poorly
Swim harder = get tired and do poorly
Swim easier = do poorly

I quit.

Where did the magic go?

I’ve decided I HATE swimming. It doesn’t work like the “other” sports, and I can’t figure out how it DOES work.

Swim more = get tired and do poorly
Take a rest = forget how to swim and do poorly
Swim harder = get tired and do poorly
Swim easier = do poorly

I quit.

Where did the magic go?

That’s swimming.

You’ll be back at it tomorrow, because it’s fuckin hard. And that makes it worth it.