Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

IV infusion - will wada or IM investigate
Quote | Reply
A marathoner (2:40ish) who has transitioned to IM posted an IG picture with a 1000ml IV bag for recovery. Is this worth reporting to wada or IM or will it just get swept under the rug?
Quote Reply
Re: IV infusion - will wada or IM investigate [Twitchanon12345] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Twitchanon12345 wrote:
A marathoner (2:40ish) who has transitioned to IM posted an IG picture with a 1000ml IV bag for recovery. Is this worth reporting to wada or IM or will it just get swept under the rug?

I mean he/she probably doesn't even know. I mean who would think an IV bag is doping. Hardly anyone. Now if he was 2:06 marathoner he would probably know better. Before the IV bag was something, I remember plenty of pro athletes getting IV bags post race with no TUEs.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
We should ask Ryan Lochte
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
First its a stupid rule and the guy probably didn't now.

Second you can get the same effect by drinking 1000ml of fluids and not have to poke a hole in your arm, no risk of infection or a clot. (small risk but I have seen it)

Third you can get the same effect by a 1000ml enema if that's your thing

Bottom line: there is no magic with an IV for fluids for recovery (assuming its fluids only). The only benefit is convenience and "possible" ease on your gut.
Quote Reply
Re: IV infusion - will wada or IM investigate [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There's a difference when an athlete is getting 1000 ml IV infusion post race due to severe dehydration vs someone doing it for basic 'recovery' purposes. Unless he is a liar, cough GALEN RUPP, and saying he can't eat or drink and require intravenous therapy under a Doctor's order, this is actual cheating. Who knows what else he is comfortable doing with injection therapy. Stuff such as this should be called out and investigated by USADA - this is how you promote the awareness for other athletes who are clueless.
Quote Reply
Re: IV infusion - will wada or IM investigate [Rideon77] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Rideon77 wrote:
First its a stupid rule and the guy probably didn't now.

Second you can get the same effect by drinking 1000ml of fluids and not have to poke a hole in your arm, no risk of infection or a clot. (small risk but I have seen it)

Third you can get the same effect by a 1000ml enema if that's your thing

Bottom line: there is no magic with an IV for fluids for recovery (assuming its fluids only). The only benefit is convenience and "possible" ease on your gut.

While I agree with everything you've said, rules are rules. If the 250 pound guy using HRT to try to have more energy in his life (right or wrong) is gonna get called out as a cheater, then a fairly high level runner with a big IV bag attached to his arm should be called out too. Just my .02.
Quote Reply
Re: IV infusion - will wada or IM investigate [Abergili] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Abergili wrote:
We should ask Ryan Lochte

Yes, that wasn’t Ryan’s best move on social media.
Quote Reply
Re: IV infusion - will wada or IM investigate [Rideon77] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I really want to see this enema recovery trend take off

Strava
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I wasn't aware that getting an IV infusion (of any substance) is a doping violation. For those like me, here is a USADA page clarifying that the use of IV injections > 100mL is a violation unless it is medically necessary, along with some other requirements.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Was this in a hospital setting?
Quote Reply