Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Mushy running shoes 2019/2020
Quote | Reply
Title says it all. I'm looking for a super soft running shoe. I loved the Clifton 1 and the early Bondy. I have the Clifton 5 and a Bondi 6 and they are much harder, not sure if it's just feeling or real.
The new 1080 V10 is perfect sole wise but the heel design cuts into my feet, it's incredibly uncomfortable ( I can't be the only one with this, I have pretty regular feet and never have fit issues)

Any recommendations appreciated
Quote Reply
Re: Mushy running shoes 2019/2020 [howlingmadbenji] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would recommend getting the clifton1 again if you liked them.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nike Pegasus zoom turbo are the softest things I've run in.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you liked the Hoka Clifton, try out the Rincon. Light, soft, comfortable.
Quote Reply
Re: Mushy running shoes 2019/2020 [Cup] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Rincon is more like the clayton than the clifton imo. Nice shoe, but not near as squishy.

I too would like to find a replacement for the mushy clifton. Clifton 1 was before my time in tri, but I fell in love with the clifton 3, then they screwed up the clifton line. They had the napali for a short period, which was basically the clifton 3, but now nothing. I read that the clifton 6 is supposed to be more like the 1/3 but haven't tried them yet. Anyone with any insight into the clifton 6?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I hear the fuel cell propel is super squishy. The old school adidas ultra boost not the new ones are squishy
Quote Reply
Re: Mushy running shoes 2019/2020 [EnderWiggan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have the rincon there really light and plush i recently just bought skechers maxroad 4 which are unreal. They have as much cusion as a hoka but have a really nice pop through the midfoot highly recommend them.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The issue you are having is you are tied to a feeling or trait of a running shoe that is rarely intended by the shoe manufacturer. Nobody in running shoes puts Squishy soft as a trait they want in the shoe. Most squishy soft shoes are done in error. The blend of EVA is not right or the durometer of the foam is inconsistent and one production run may be soft while one may be firm. Historically if you consider when the original Clifton or Bondi came out Hoka One One was totally new to manufacturing in Asia. Whatever standards they were trying to achieve were being missed. I’m not knocking Hoka One One, I’m more reflecting on my own experiences building shoes in Asia. Today with their seasoned team and their clout in Asia you can see in their product that quality is going through the roof.

Back to your question. To find the perfect shoe you are simply going to have to visit a store and try them all on. The shoes you mentioned Bondi, Clifton and 1080 fit a pattern. Every brand makes that running shoe. Try the following on, Brooks Glycerin, Saucony Triumph, Nike Epic React, adidas Solar Boost, Hoke One One Clifton and or Bondi, Asics Nimbus, Altra Paradigm. Buy for fit and feel. Fit first then the squishiest feel of the bunch. If you try on many at one time you should notice what feels good and what feels slightly off. If it feels slightly off, it’s not your shoe because slightly off never feels better later and usually feels worse.

Dave Jewell
Free Run Speed

Quote Reply
Re: Mushy running shoes 2019/2020 [SDJ] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SDJ wrote:
The issue you are having is you are tied to a feeling or trait of a running shoe that is rarely intended by the shoe manufacturer. Nobody in running shoes puts Squishy soft as a trait they want in the shoe. Most squishy soft shoes are done in error. The blend of EVA is not right or the durometer of the foam is inconsistent and one production run may be soft while one may be firm. Historically if you consider when the original Clifton or Bondi came out Hoka One One was totally new to manufacturing in Asia. Whatever standards they were trying to achieve were being missed. I’m not knocking Hoka One One, I’m more reflecting on my own experiences building shoes in Asia. Today with their seasoned team and their clout in Asia you can see in their product that quality is going through the roof.

That's really interesting.
I had a Clifton1 that I loved years ago and when they reintroduced them recently I got another pair, but it felt totally different. Wondered why, now I know. Thanks
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Former Clifton lover here. Do a lot of running in Nike Epic Reacts and really like the feel - however they don't seem to last too long. Also, the Flyknit on the 2's as compared to the 1's is considerably less snug (at least in size 11) so much so that it folds over when I lace them - this may be what contributes to an unstable feeling when cornering (like a track session). I like NB1080 just fine and Adidas Ultraboost aren't bad either.
Quote Reply
Re: Mushy running shoes 2019/2020 [JASpencer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JASpencer wrote:
Former Clifton lover here. Do a lot of running in Nike Epic Reacts and really like the feel - however they don't seem to last too long. Also, the Flyknit on the 2's as compared to the 1's is considerably less snug (at least in size 11) so much so that it folds over when I lace them - this may be what contributes to an unstable feeling when cornering (like a track session). I like NB1080 just fine and Adidas Ultraboost aren't bad either.

Epic React Flyknit 2's have been a game changer for me. I was a longtime New Balance fan and was running in the Beacon for a while - the Epic React is better for me in every way. Even though the Beacons are lighter, the Epics feel faster and more responsive while also leaving me less beat up. The foam on the Beacons was soft and cushy but always felt like it was sapping energy. Somehow the Epics provide a ton of cushioning but also feel fast and efficient.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
nike 4 percent and nike next percent and pegasus turbo are teh softest shoes in the world.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you can afford the absurd price, the next% are even squishier than the Clifton 1 and the foam has better energy return.

Slightly less expensive (but still really expensive) and less squishy but still nice and soft, using the same foam is the Pegasus turbo.

Those are the shoes I've been running in.

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Founder of VeloVetta Cycling Shoes
Instagram • Facebook
Quote Reply
Re: Mushy running shoes 2019/2020 [RowToTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree the peg turbo are super squishy, but I'm not really a fan of how they're not responsive at all. The clifton 3/napali had tons of squish but still felt really responsive, not a dull squish.
Quote Reply
Re: Mushy running shoes 2019/2020 [Sean H] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sean H wrote:
Rincon is more like the clayton than the clifton imo. Nice shoe, but not near as squishy.

I agree. I run in the Rincon, and while it may be squishier than some other shoes out there, it is not super squishy, and def not as squishy as a Clifton.

- Jordan

My Strava
Quote Reply
Re: Mushy running shoes 2019/2020 [dcohen24] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dcohen24 wrote:
Nike Pegasus zoom turbo are the softest things I've run in.

Epic Reacts are softer, IMO (Own and currently run in both).

I talk a lot - Give it a listen: http://www.fasttalklabs.com/category/fast-talk
I also give Training Advice via http://www.ForeverEndurance.com

The above poster has eschewed traditional employment and is currently undertaking the ill-conceived task of launching his own hardgoods company. Statements are not made on behalf of nor reflective of anything in any manner... unless they're good, then they count.
http://www.AGNCYINNOVATION.com
Last edited by: xtrpickels: Dec 10, 19 8:37
Quote Reply
Re: Mushy running shoes 2019/2020 [xtrpickels] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've never tried them. I'm up for some new shoes so I will give them a shot.

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Founder of VeloVetta Cycling Shoes
Instagram • Facebook
Quote Reply
Re: Mushy running shoes 2019/2020 [xtrpickels] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
yeah... I run both too.
I feel like there is more road feel on the reacts, vs the turbos I feel like squish a little more.
I use reacts for my tempo like runs and turbos for my long run...

but, either shoe i can see being pretty soft
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Altra Duo, I have been using them for about 500 miles and I love them. I have seen them as low as $39 on the website "The Clymb" I bought 3 pairs.
Quote Reply
Re: Mushy running shoes 2019/2020 [RowToTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Big +1 on Epic React Flyknits

I get knee problems in all but the squishiest shoes, to the point where I used to pop the air unit in Nikes to soften them up. I have the original Adidas boosts and can use them on a treadmill, but not on asphalt. Also have the Altra Olympus and Saucony freedom ISOs (sitting idle).

The Epics are the softest of all of these, and are also light enough (7.5oz claimed, my 9.5 weigh 8.0oz) to be my 70.3+ racing shoe.

You can also get them cheap on eBay and other places (~$80 if you don't mind some of the appalling colors they are made in).

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've been running in Bondis since the original. I've gone through two pairs of Bondi 5's and just bought my 3rd pair of Bondi 6's. I race with one insole, but I double up the insoles for training. I've also noticed that they start breaking down between 300-400 miles, and get nice and mushy up to about 1000 miles, before they get smashed out and lopsided.

Athlinks / Strava
Quote Reply
Re: Mushy running shoes 2019/2020 [Titanflexr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My problem with the epic reacts is they won’t die!!! I can’t kill them...they are still good after hundreds of miles.

Maybe that’s a good problem, but I’d like an excuse for new shoes.

Titanflexr wrote:
Big +1 on Epic React Flyknits

I get knee problems in all but the squishiest shoes, to the point where I used to pop the air unit in Nikes to soften them up. I have the original Adidas boosts and can use them on a treadmill, but not on asphalt. Also have the Altra Olympus and Saucony freedom ISOs (sitting idle).

The Epics are the softest of all of these, and are also light enough (7.5oz claimed, my 9.5 weigh 8.0oz) to be my 70.3+ racing shoe.

You can also get them cheap on eBay and other places (~$80 if you don't mind some of the appalling colors they are made in).
Last edited by: EnderWiggan: Dec 10, 19 15:48
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bondi 6 for me was super "marshmellowy". The redux of the Bondi B just isn't really preferred for me. Dan talked about how the Elevon wasn't his preferred shoe, but the Bondi B for me specifically feels like his review of the Elevon 1. I really enjoyed the Bondi 6, the Napalis were pretty nice too. Currently enjoying the Rincons as well. Getting some Clifton 6s soon.

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Last edited by: TheStroBro: Dec 10, 19 17:38
Quote Reply
Re: Mushy running shoes 2019/2020 [Cup] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Cup wrote:
If you liked the Hoka Clifton, try out the Rincon. Light, soft, comfortable.

+1
I've used Clifton 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 and 1, 2 & 3 are my favorites. They get harder for the later models.
Rincon is not as soft as early Cliftons, but Rincon is lighter. You will like them.
Rincons are my main training shoes and I race with Nike 4%.
This combination has been working great for me and I've PRed a LOT!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Altra Escalante, Tourin, and Paradigm are like running on clouds...with varying degrees of softness. Listed here from least to most cushion.

I'm not saying they are the best shoes in the world. But I definitely have them in my rotation.

I agree with other posters though.
Quote Reply