Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Getting to 1:25/100m in 7 months? [LifeTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Getting yourself on track with a good coach is a step in the right direction. It won't be cheap.

In the meantime, you can make some progress by swimming good sets with structure, using the clock for accountability while you don't have lane mates to keep you motivated. Have a look at the sets found in the "Favorite Main Sets" thread which you can always find by using the LINK provided in JasoninHallifax's signature.

I used one from post #114 in that thread yesterday for a masters swim session.

JasoninHallifax wrote:
"This was a good one today, starts off not too bad, but gets tough by the end.

6x50 @55, & 50 easy
5x50 @50, & 50 easy
4x50 @45, & 50 easy
3x50 @40, & 50 easy
2x50 @35, & 50 easy
1x50 @30, & 50 easy

Early rounds are all at 400 pace, until 400 pace won't make the interval. Then it is just go fast enough to make the interval.
To make it tougher, increase the number of reps at each rest interval
."

With 6 lanes, I had 2 each starting at 70, 65 & 60 and allowed any equipment (we have a wide range of ability & have to make allowance.) The set went rather well. Still needed another ~1800 so I added the following for a bit different effect:

All @2:00 (slower lanes went 2:05,10,15 or 20. Slowest lane subbed strong 100s for the 125s & Recovery 50s for the 150s.)
4x125 & 1x150
3x125 & 1x150
2x125 & 1x150
1x125 & 1x150

Just a modified "Over & Under" set where distance change subs for interval change to arrive at substantially the same training stimulus. If you get the interval right, there are some subtleties to the descending reps (beyond the obvious) that you'd miss if you held them at 3x, 3x and 3x for example.

These sets are very easy to scale up or down and modifications are easy for those who want/need them. Later in the day...did the same workout along with 2 regular training partners.

Try some of the sets from that thread and let us know how they went.

Quote Reply
Re: Getting to 1:25/100m in 7 months? [TriStart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TriStart wrote:
As it is the most technical of all triathlon sports I would do either a swim specific trainingcamp with lots of individual attention and video-ing of athletes and feedback based on the videos. Or book a private trainingsession with a swim coach for an hour or so and get specific instructions based on that. Maybe twice a month in the beginning, later once a month. In both cases, subsequently dedicate a good portion of each swim to technique.

What ^^^^^ he said.
Quote Reply
Re: Getting to 1:25/100m in 7 months? [Scottxs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I signed up with USMS yesterday and have located two pools that I am going to make work. There seem to be a lot of coaches to work with and I plan on engaging one of them to get my stroke going in the right direction.

I have full faith in my mental and physical fitness. I just need the correct, in person, guidance to make it happen.

Note: I do have a coach, they are remote...and I love them. Swimming is going to require someone local...so I need to buck up and pay for it.

Thanks again!
Last edited by: LifeTri: Nov 2, 18 8:27
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you can find a coach affiliated with Swim Smooth, I would then highly recommend to get a video-analysis session with them. And then a follow up session every month or so.
Quote Reply
Re: Getting to 1:25/100m in 7 months? [tie3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Did LifeTri get to 1:25?

I saw a lot of great advice here, but I do agree that swimming more often is the biggest factor.

My experience: I've been swimming for just over 2 years. Getting to 1:25 took me about 7 (yes, 7!!) months of 5x per week swimming.

I'm pleased to report that about 18 months after that, I'm at 1:16.

And if I can do that, well..... :)

(The fishy threads are a great place to contemplate new goals!)

I only swim.
I used to run. (31:09 10k)
I never did Triathlon.
Sue me.
Quote Reply
Re: Getting to 1:25/100m in 7 months? [Skuj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Skuj wrote:

I saw a lot of great advice here, but I do agree that swimming more often is the biggest factor.

My experience: I've been swimming for just over 2 years. Getting to 1:25 took me about 7 (yes, 7!!) months of 5x per week swimming.

1.16 flat out or on a time cycle?

Your dream is to go sub 6mins for 400m? That's only 1.30 pace, if you can hit 1.16 (even if that's a sprint) you should be able to hold 1.30 for 400m.
Quote Reply
Re: Getting to 1:25/100m in 7 months? [zedzded] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Interesting how people say "just swim more". I've been in quite a few squads over the years and seen so many people plateau with their swimming and eventually either give up or resign themselves to being MOP swimmers. Swim fitness will only take you so far. You're not going to be able to swim 1.10mins/100m with shit technique. You can swim twice a day, 7 days a week, for a year and you won't get close to that unless you address your stroke flaws. So yeah sure swim more, but you will quickly get frustrated at your lack of progress and you will be hamstrung to an extent.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
zedzded wrote:
Interesting how people say "just swim more". I've been in quite a few squads over the years and seen so many people plateau with their swimming and eventually either give up or resign themselves to being MOP swimmers. Swim fitness will only take you so far. You're not going to be able to swim 1.10mins/100m with shit technique. You can swim twice a day, 7 days a week, for a year and you won't get close to that unless you address your stroke flaws. So yeah sure swim more, but you will quickly get frustrated at your lack of progress and you will be hamstrung to an extent.

Yeah, agreed. But in the OPs case, he was at it once a week, initially. I'd think that anything more than that will cause improvement.

I was pleasantly surprised to get to 1:16 recently (a single 100m time trial after a good warmup), and I believe that 1:16 is "as good as" 5:59. I did 6:14 about 18 months ago, and I know I am a better swimmer now. In these Covid times, it is hard to find a black line for a 400m trial.

I only swim.
I never did Triathlon.
Sue me.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
zedzded wrote:
Skuj wrote:

Your dream is to go sub 6mins for 400m? That's only 1.30 pace, if you can hit 1.16 (even if that's a sprint) you should be able to hold 1.30 for 400m.

Bwahahaha. Caught!
Well, the Slowtwitch Universe doesn’t work that way.....LoL.

Last edited by: windschatten: May 16, 21 18:11
Quote Reply
Re: Getting to 1:25/100m in 7 months? [windschatten] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
windschatten wrote:
zedzded wrote:
Skuj wrote:

Bwahahaha. Caught!
Well, the Slowtwitch Universe doesn’t work that way.....LoL.

I wasn't doubting his 1.16, just thinking if he can't go 6mins/400m that he might not be pacing it right.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't understand windschatten's post.

I accept that I "should" be able to do 5:59, if I've done 1:16. But, I have the relative newbie syndrome - the longer it is, the harder it is for me to maintain good form.

I only swim.
I never did Triathlon.
Sue me.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Skuj wrote:

I accept that I "should" be able to do 5:59, if I've done 1:16. But, I have the relative newbie syndrome - the longer it is, the harder it is for me to maintain good form.

Yeah probs just a fitness issue? You get fatigued and slow down and your form goes to shit, slowing you down even more - double whammy!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
zedzded wrote:
Skuj wrote:

Yeah probs just a fitness issue? You get fatigued and slow down and your form goes to shit, slowing you down even more - double whammy!

yeah, this is where the "just swim more" comes in. if you can do 1 length fast with good technique then you just need better swim fitness to be able to do 2, 3, 100 lengths with the same technique at least and not too dissimilar speed.
easier said than done though. i've been able to do 1 length relatively well by my standards for a long time. i have excellent general fitness and by most (non-ST) standards decent swim specific fitness but my technique still breaks down badly as the duration extends. with swimming it seems the mental focus and physical fatigue inevitably take a toll, then i simultaneously get the double whammy of short on oxygen and not getting as good a breath as i would with fresh technique, which distracts focus and creates further fatigue... vicious cycle/downward spiral.
my general approach to working on this is to do repeats of short to moderate distances with just enough rest to reset the technique but not completely recover. i can't say its exactly showing great progress though... any suggestions gratefully received.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Skuj wrote:

You asked about the poster who aspired to go a 1:25 PACE.
In the same breath you mention you can do a 1:16 now after only 7 months.
Me understanding that you also meant 1:16 ‘pace’ isn’t far fetched.
Pretty sure I am not the only one who read it that way. You could have worded that differently.

Anyways, it’s the internet, and anybody can claim whatever they want. I have seen more outrageous claims around here.

But given your claimed age, running pedigree and open turns, I’d love to see a video of that 1:16 100m.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
windschatten wrote:
Skuj wrote:

But given your claimed age, running pedigree and open turns, I’d love to see a video of that 1:16 100m.

It gets a bit confusing, because North Americans seem to use yards when talking pace. I know Lionel Sanders was quoting 1.10 pace in his videos, then I found out not only was he talking 1.10mins/100 yards, but he was also swimming in a 25 yard pool. Straya if we talk swim pace it's min/100m in a 50m pool. Much slower than a 25 yard pool.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
zedzded wrote:
windschatten wrote:
Skuj wrote:

It gets a bit confusing, because North Americans seem to use yards when talking pace. I know Lionel Sanders was quoting 1.10 pace in his videos, then I found out not only was he talking 1.10mins/100 yards, but he was also swimming in a 25 yard pool. Straya if we talk swim pace it's min/100m in a 50m pool. Much slower than a 25 yard pool.

Well, yeah, all that and a dive start. OK.

But how’s that even marginally relevant or meaningful in distance swimming, other than for posturing?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
windschatten wrote:
zedzded wrote:
windschatten wrote:
Skuj wrote:

But how’s that even marginally relevant or meaningful in distance swimming, other than for posturing?

Yeah not relevant. I just did the Port to Pub 20km swim and had guys beat me by an hour+ who are much slower than me in a pool. Reality check - doing fast 100s on a time cycle r no good for 20km+ swims!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
To give yourself a chance, as others said, you need to swim at least 4 times a week, and look at your technique

Take some footage of yourself and send to effortless swimming.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
From time prediction tables, I should be able to go much faster in my 100, when I go by my 800 time. Lack of specificity and Age, I guess.

And for open water, given similar pool fitness, experience and ability to change swim style and stroke rate also make a huge difference.
Last edited by: windschatten: May 16, 21 20:55
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
1. Join a swim team and swim lots
2. Search you tube for accounts like swimsmooth
3. Get video analysis
4. Ask coach and peers for feedback/input
5. Concentrate on one aspect in each session and don’t switch off
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
windschatten wrote:
zedzded wrote:
windschatten wrote:
Skuj wrote:

Dude, you've completely lost me. I honestly do not understand your posts.

Anyway, I hope the OP got to 1:25. :)

I only swim.
I never did Triathlon.
Sue me.
Quote Reply

Prev Next