Varia + Saddlebag

Resurrecting this discussion - thinking of buying a Garmin varia, and I have a BTS mount with storage bottle. How much clearance does the varia need to “see” with a BTS bottle mounted?

Right now I have three inches worth of seatpost exposed below the bottom edge of BTS bottle. And the bottom tip of the bottle is 3.5 inches horizontally from the back edge of seatpost. If that makes sense. I probably can’t raise it higher out of the way. Would the varia work properly with this amount of space?

It should be fine, basically the Varia just can’t be blocked by anything. The mount attaches to the top of the Varia unit, so you really just need enough space for the mount (maybe 1.5in?) on the actual seatpost, then the unit itself extends downward from there. I mount mine right against the seatpost clamp like this:

varia.jpg

I’m a shorter rider and have no room on the seat post with a saddle bag mounted. I’ve been using one of these clips from Shapeways for years and have been very happy with it. The clip has outlasted several saddle bags and I’ve had zero issues with either the clip or the Varia bouncing off.

Unofficial Varia Bicycle Taillight Saddle Bag Clip (ZJPBVWPWL) by MadBikeSkills (shapeways.com)

Brig this thread back to life
I need a new Saddle bag anyhow, so I was looking at the KOM Cycling saddle bag with the integrated Varia mount.
Does anyone use it?
Is it good? it looks pretty cool on paper.

Edit/Delete Message

my saddle bag has a reflective loop on the back. I put an o ring through it and affixed a garmin mount to the tab. I have a varia holder in case it ever fails, but I’ve not had a problem in 3 years. Varia was the best accessory I’ve ever bought.

I got a 3d printed mount for my varia that attaches to the bottom of my saddle for ~$25

No more rubber band the mount to my seat post - I’m happy

Just in case anyone comes here looking for more options to attach a Varia (500 series, not 700 series) to a saddle bag, I have used this clip and it works decently well: Garmin Varia Clip Mount for Saddle Bags for Garmin Varia – KOM Cycling

I used a mount on my saddle rails and it fits perfectly behind my bag.