T100 Triathlon World Tour (PTO 2024)

Not a lot of big names missing. On the men’s side, the Norway boys and Lange. Any other surprises?

Sanders is off the list - though he was expected to lean IM. Ditto with Skipper.

The one that strikes me as odd is Sam Long - he’s never really excelled at this distance/format, so I would have expected him to go for the IM purse.

100k is very similar to 70.3 & Sam has had much more success at 70.3 than he has at 140.6

this has probably been clarified elsewhere, but if someone could just help me understand -

are these listed athletes for T100 contractually prohibited from participating in IM branded events? Or, rather, is it that they just have to fulfill the 5 out of 6 + grand final requirement for T100 tour, and the implicit aspect of that is these athletes probably won’t choose to race any additional events since their calendar is full?

They can do any race in the world as long as they fulfil their T100 contract obligations

I feel a bit sorry for Nice….this years ladies race could be a flop, they don’t deserve that.
There’s obviously a question mark over the long term sustainability of PTO but for now it’s a great time to be a fan (and obviously fantastic for the athletes).It’s Roth I feel a bit sorry for. There are two top WPro athletes I can see racing:
Langridge and LCB (just doing the one long distance with no T100 race close and no requirement to validate (an IM) to secure her AQ IMWC slot.
I reckon that apart from LCB, 5 (of the top 7 at Kona) will be there to race Nice (Haug, Ryf, Sodaro, Philipp, Matthews) if fit. IMWC(WPro) was ‘completely stacked’: 2024 only a little less. And think LCB not risking it is a smart move.
A contracted athlete (and they all are) has to race 5 plus the GF. So they can drop Ibiza or race it as a warm down (if body lets them). Knibb’s participation is not dependent on this: her challenge is to validate her IMWC AQ (assume with two 70.3s) by 19 Aug.

this has probably been clarified elsewhere, but if someone could just help me understand -

are these listed athletes for T100 contractually prohibited from participating in IM branded events? Or, rather, is it that they just have to fulfill the **5 out of 6 + grand final requirement **for T100 tour, and the implicit aspect of that is these athletes probably won’t choose to race any additional events since their calendar is full?

Its 5 out of 7 plus the Grand Finale.

So I was trying to figure out the Cali race location/date. I thought about the USAT Legacy event that will end up being the LA Games Olympic venue in Long Beach…but that’s 1 week prior to London’s race date (July). So I’m curious what site is going to be the June Cali race venue.

I was wondering about the CA location too. Protrinews has the dates as June 8-9 instead of TBA on PTO. Unless they make a new race, that could mean Escape from Alcatraz! If they are going for picturesque and iconic locations, can’t think of a much better race. Although I don’t envy the person who has to deal with the red tape.

I was wondering about the CA location too. Protrinews has the dates as June 8-9 instead of TBA on PTO. Unless they make a new race, that could mean Escape from Alcatraz! If they are going for picturesque and iconic locations, can’t think of a much better race. Although I don’t envy the person who has to deal with the red tape.

Now that would be epic. Bringing Alcatraz back to the top of pro sport would be amazing.

Sam seemed to let slip on the podcast that the California date was in SoCal in June.

So I was trying to figure out the Cali race location/date. I thought about the USAT Legacy event that will end up being the LA Games Olympic venue in Long Beach…but that’s 1 week prior to London’s race date (July). So I’m curious what site is going to be the June Cali race venue.

Oof, that would be a lot of horrible laps to get to 100K

Reading the ST front page…listening to the PTN pod w/ SR now.

Interesting to read about the finances of the races, makes sense financially the prize pool was shrunk with the additional “pto contracts”:

**Each race will feature a $250,000 prize pool, with $25,000 to the winner, $16,000 for second, and $12,000 for third. **The T100 Triathlon World Champion, awarded based on points totals at the end of the year, will win $210,000 out of a $2 million prize pool. Between the cash prize pool and athlete contracts, more than $7 million will be awarded in compensation in 2024.

Altho looking at Miami venue, looks like they run a 100K event next to an established event, so not all races are 100K. I guess?

2.) As a self-proclaimed golf nut, all I think about with that T100 name – Titleist irons.

I thought PTO World Tour was a better name.

I still think “70.3” sucks as a brand.
Using an imperial measurement for distance when the majority of the world used metric shows how USA-centric the Ironman org is.

T100 is better branding and a better distance.

Altho looking at Miami venue, looks like they run a 100K event next to an established event, so not all races are 100K. I guess?The T100 races are pm Saturday. The ‘Miami Distance’ race on Sunday is 1600m/48km/13km.

No Australia race? Not many in Europe?
Seems a bit of a shame.

They would like to get to 10 races so very likely there will Oceania and mainland Europe races in 2025.

I’m guessing August is reserved for when the Edmonton race can finally return in 2026 or 2027.

I’m happy this is a BIG F U to Ironman for their ridiculous money grab that is their World Championships in France… Good on Ryf & Lucy Charles

What does the age group pricing of world have to do with the pto ?

You do understand Ironman is a race / event organizer and pto is a professional triathlete race product.

They are separate athletes choose money, humans choose money have you been familiar with humans the last 1000 years.

Lionel is a good example he was super pissed at Ironman post 70.3 worlds until he realized it is now the hand that feeds him.

These athletes have to take his money while it is here, in 10 years there maybe a few they say I should have focused on world x or Ironman distance but this gets them paid.

Cool, i think the 100K distance is killer.

Seems a bit of a shame.

If they were playing it right for the grand final put it in Australia then a lot of pros would be able to go right to 70.3 worlds

It may help Ironmans final but also if pto is paying for travel it would help their contracted athletes so much to cover that travel expense.

This is giving us great races on paper to start, how long till we get bored of the same faces and format ??

It’s itu but longer / no drafting . We have seen this product.

Seems a bit of a shame.

If they were playing it right for the grand final put it in Australia then a lot of pros would be able to go right to 70.3 worlds

It may help Ironmans final but also if pto is paying for travel it would help their contracted athletes so much to cover that travel expense.

This is giving us great races on paper to start, how long till we get bored of the same faces and format ??

It’s itu but longer / no drafting . We have seen this product.

The Grand Final in combination with the Noosa Triathlon Festival would have been dope (and everything PTO wants out of its events).