Return to Tri after Stroke

My dad had a stroke and is barely going at all. It has inspired me to start going harder again just to stay as healthy and enjoy as much life as I can. I’d rather go out going hard than waiting.

I now have two older and also trying to go hard again triathlon friends. One is also recovering from a stroke from two years ago. He won Clydesdale at his past tri last weekend. My two friends are both enormous guys. I’m the small one. They’ve raced each other since before I knew either of them. Two of us have kids on the same swim team and one has a grandkid in the team.

I say this to say I am following and proud of your progress! I also want to live my life by doing not waiting.

Sorry to hear about your dad and friend. I got told aged 12 or 13 I couldn’t do anything because of achiles issues. Lasted to 18 then my dad had 2 heart attacks and a double bypass and I realised I’d follow his path or I could do something different and deal with a bit of ankle pain. In reality I’ve just learnt to live with the pain and supported the retirement fund and college education savings of several physios :wink:

Struggling with swimming this week, just got no strength. And so very slow which is frustrating me. It is only 1 week back though, and 4x 2500m sessions. Zwifting is going OK, power is coming back and endurance I’ve tested up to an hour. May try going longer tomorrow.

It’s funny though, I’ve had 3 full falls this week and several near misses. Which is more than in total post stroke up to now. I think in the immediate aftermath I was very careful as knew my right side was weak. Now my brain thinks I’m back to normal and then that catches me out. So combined with the clopidogel and asprin those falls have left me looking like I’ve been through a gang initiation ceremony :wink:

Brain still gets foggy later in the day or if I miss my lunchtime 30min nap. But otherwise I’m back working almost as before.

1 Like