Official (formerly) ITU leading to 2024 discussion thread…

Through no fault of his own he will drop out of the top 20, lose prize money and possibly lose sponsorship bonus payments. //

Sounds like a recipe for moving over to PTO racing, where a 10th place finish is more money than winning an ITU big event. ITs got to be tough when your country is so deep in the field, and with several legit medal contenders. The US women are often in this position, and then the selection process almost has to be political is some respect for at least one of the slots, as it should be…

It isn’t a question of being deep in the field on this occasion.

The rules state each nation can have 6 athletes max on the start line. Many of the WCTS races this year have seen maximum number of athletes for some nations particularly France and Spain.

They have chosen not to send someone who is ranked higher than an athlete they are sending when there was no need to have made that choice. They could have sent 5 athletes all ranked in the top 16.

Has the rule changed to 5 athletes?

Looking at the start lists no one has more than 5 athletes. AUS, JPN, FR, GER, USA, ESP - all have 5 but not 6 even where they have athletes who could have made the start line.

Nice to see Schoeman back on the start list as well. Didn’t realise Vincent Luis was older than Jonny Brownlee.

Apparently I was reading an outdated WT document from a quick google search with an earlier comment. I went to WT and in their current documents.

Yes the current quota at GF is 5 (as well as regular events), with able to achieve more athletes if start list is not maxed out (55 for regular events, 65 for GF).

Brooks, are you the Bronson of this dirty dozen?

I had the same thought - something must have happened on that bike for Morgan as his swim and run times were right up there. Hell, he was only 5 seconds off the fastest run of the day coming from 3 minutes down on the bike!

It’s 5 slots per country.
But if you’re highly ranked and the 6th, ect athlete from the women’s Germany, GB or USA team, you’re likely to get in.

In Hamburg the German women had seven athletes in the race.

I believe each open slot goes to the highest ranked athlete (world triathlon rankings) who nominated, regardless of country.

Has the rule changed to 5 athletes?

Looking at the start lists no one has more than 5 athletes. AUS, JPN, FR, GER, USA, ESP - all have 5 but not 6 even where they have athletes who could have made the start line.

Nice to see Schoeman back on the start list as well. Didn’t realise Vincent Luis was older than Jonny Brownlee.

I wonder if Schoeman will race, he was racing 70.3 Mossel Bay weekend before last and pulled out during the run at approx 10km. No mention of it since.

But if you’re highly ranked and the 6th, ect athlete from the women’s Germany, GB or USA team, you’re likely to get in.

I believe each open slot goes to the highest ranked athlete (world triathlon rankings) who nominated, regardless of country.

interestingly france has only 3 females and uk also only 4 females for the grand final.

the last point is mainly correct,but the 6th athletes would still be on a waiting list and only if an atheltes drops out would they get in . but there is also some politics involved at least for a couple of slots some wildcards ,as well as if you put your name on the waiting list after a deadline you start at the end of the waiting list regardless your ranking , and there is also the chance for each fed to replace one athlete on the entry list ,that could a be lower ranked athlete, , also home nation tend to be given more slots .

as an aside its always great fun watching the first start list published 30 days before the race and the final start list.

interestingly france has only 3 females and uk also only 4 females for the grand final.

the last point is mainly correct,but the 6th athletes would still be on a waiting list and only if an atheltes drops out would they get in . but there is also some politics involved at least for a couple of slots some wildcards ,as well as if you put your name on the waiting list after a deadline you start at the end of the waiting list regardless your ranking , and there is also the chance for each fed to replace one athlete on the entry list ,that could a be lower ranked athlete, , also home nation tend to be given more slots .

as an aside its always great fun watching the first start list published 30 days before the race and the final start list.

Britain haven’t got 6 females at the moment. Non Stanford has retired, Vicky Holland is pregnant and allegedly retired. Jess L is injured. The other 2 are in the U23.

US has got 6 in top 54 but only 5 on list.
Germany has got 6 but only 5 on the list
ESP could put 6 in the mens
FR could put 6 in the mens

Just think it is weird that the most any individual country has is 5 athletes.

The rules are different for the grand final. In the series you can have (or could have) 6 on the list and then when the other countries didn’t fill the list you could have your suitably ranked standbys on the start list. You can also have sub ins on the overall series. E.g. if UK had enough athletes JB could have been entered even though he was injured and then he could have been swapped for someone not in the top 64.

I also think if you are host country you get first refusal on the extra places hence Germany had 7 athletes in Munich. I think last year GBR had 8 athletes at Leeds but might be wrong.

EDIT: GBR had 7 in Leeds last year. LCB was added late in the game.

the limit is 5 for abu dhabi and as it looks like only the Japanese males will have 6th athlete in the race .

Good idea to get the first race jitters/issues out of the way and hopefully be squared away in Abu Dhabi (although tough to race a WC level and not get any points). If his bike legs are there, he should be able to hold the front group w the least amount of work done in that group beside some of the protected guys.

the limit is 5 for abu dhabi and as it looks like only the Japanese males will have 6th athlete in the race .

Interested to see where it says that because the rules say 6. Have they reduced it just for Abu Dhabi?

(Replying to thread)

Here’s the 2023 schedule and back to the “normal” March-Sept race season. (Those boys looked totally done after this race today…it’s been a very very long 15 months).

2023 World Triathlon Championship Series:
3-4 March – Abu Dhabi, UAE (Sprint distance)
13-14 May - Yokohama, JPN (Olympic distance)
15-16 July - Hamburg, GER (Sprint & Mixed Relay World Championships)
29-30 July - Sunderland, GBR (Sprint distance & Mixed Relay)
23-24 September - Pontevedra, ESP (Olympic distance)
Mixed Relay:
15-16 July - Hamburg, GER (Mixed Relay World Championships)
29-30 July - Sunderland, GBR
19-20 August – Paris, FRA – Olympic Distance (Test Event)
Paris 2024 Test Event:
17-20 August – Paris, FRA – Olympic Distance, Mixed Relay, Para Triathlon

(Replying to thread)

Here’s the 2023 schedule and back to the “normal” March-Sept race season. (Those boys looked totally done after this race today…it’s been a very very long 15 months).

2023 World Triathlon Championship Series:
3-4 March – Abu Dhabi, UAE (Sprint distance)
13-14 May - Yokohama, JPN (Olympic distance)
15-16 July - Hamburg, GER (Sprint & Mixed Relay World Championships)
29-30 July - Sunderland, GBR (Sprint distance & Mixed Relay)
23-24 September - Pontevedra, ESP (Olympic distance)
Mixed Relay:
15-16 July - Hamburg, GER (Mixed Relay World Championships)
29-30 July - Sunderland, GBR
19-20 August – Paris, FRA – Olympic Distance (Test Event)
Paris 2024 Test Event:
17-20 August – Paris, FRA – Olympic Distance, Mixed Relay, Para Triathlon

I will be at the Paris test event. The course doesn’t look brilliant on paper. Nothing to indicate it will be hard enough to break up the packs.

Anyone going to Sunderland make sure your inoculations are up to date. The water is SKANK.

Does the course atleast stay on main roads in Paris? I’m still flabbergasted that they have all these options and you put world class athletes riding on side walk/paths to ride on at this level? My god

For the Norwegian fans, they have Bergen again as a WC race, Aug 26th-27th as a sprint. With that time frame, that will be likely very light on top talent racing that event so close after the test event. But almost assured to see the Iden and Blu there no doubt.

Does the course atleast stay on main roads in Paris? I’m still flabbergasted that they have all these options and you put world class athletes riding on side walk/paths to ride on at this level? My god

Google Pont Alexandra III. It is between 8th and 1st arrondisement. Will be on the bigger roads but it is flat.

Flat I can deal with. We have more flat boring Olympic games courses than challenge. What I’m against is putting athletes on “side pathways” that don’t really make sense to have bikers riding on…this race today (how many crashes were on that narrow brick pathway “road” in the 2 races?

If that’s how they want to make things “interesting”, that’s the kind of stuff I dont think should be part of the race.

Flat I can deal with. We have more flat boring Olympic games courses than challenge. What I’m against is putting athletes on “side pathways” that don’t really make sense to have bikers riding on…this race today (how many crashes were on that narrow brick pathway “road” in the 2 races?

If that’s how they want to make things “interesting”, that’s the kind of stuff I dont think should be part of the race.

From what I have seen it isn’t the side roads. But who knows how many cones they are going to use.

Itu is very euro centric and if you aren’t a top 10 consistent result your making zero money (from itu) . You could be top 20 in the world and living on Ramon noodle and a small wage from your federation support. Which is why then FGP or the German domestic circuit can keep athletes both improving their game and making money. And in the US, DL just has never caught on to give athletes a chance to make a living wage. Itu races have been a financial lose for usat over the last 2 host races, and our domestic DL league just kinda fizzled out. The buy in is so huge from sponsors / host cities that it’s just really hard.

But also keep in mind the US is only missing the top medal contender. US is basically on par with all but a handful of countries in the sport, but by not having a real consistent top talent, middle of the pack finishes have even more of a “meh” feeling.

And of course when your talking about funding, middle of pack finishes just won’t cut it for federations and suddenly funding gets tighter and tighter.

I don’t consider US Tri to be top tier anymore. You have some good (inconsistent this season) women but your men haven’t been anywhere near top tier for a long time.

If Knibb can sort her injury out and Spivey & Kasper can get some consistency back I think the US women will be back at the top by the end of the year/beginning of next season but I really can’t see any US men being back on that podium anytime soon.

The MTR looks like their best chance but GBR and France are way ahead of them and AUS seem to be getting things back together. So a medal at Paris 2024 wouldn’t be guaranteed.

This is one of the more ignorant comments posted on here. The US women currently have 3 women ranked in the top 12 in the world (spivey 6, rappaport 9 and kasper 12) and that does not include its top 2 women (zaferes and knibb) who have not raced this year due to maternity leave and injuries. You are delusional if that is not “top tier” as only GB is better. Germany is similar and then there is a massive drop off after Germany.

USA men do have issues but even with the issues it was 3rd in the MTR WC this year (without pearson who is its best male) after a bronze in the olympics. you are aware that mcdowell was 6th in the olympics and rider was 4th at the grand final last year? it is bizarre that you think that USA men were not “top tier” last year when they were part of 2 MTR medal teams, a 6th in the olympics and a 4th at the grand final. other than GB and France, what other country has those credentials for its men? i’ll give you a hint: none.

You do realise this thread is about the here and now, and the road to Paris???

So basically you agree with what I have said about the US women and then say it is deluded? Did you actually read the bit where I wrote I think the US women will be back at the top by the end of the season (which is Oct/Nov this year)? Your women have not performed this year and I clearly stated why - that would be the bit where Knibb, Spivey and Kasper are mentioned! I hope Katie has enough time to get back to the top tier before Paris and I hope the short Olympic cycle doesn’t work against her.

To say only GB is better than US is your opinion. GB/France/Aus/Germany have all performed at the top level this season. GB and France are prequalified for 2024. France are one of the strongest nations at the moment.

I honestly cannot remember the last time a US male athlete was on the podium at a top tier WTCS race. Has there ever been a time where more than one US male athlete has been on the podium at a WTCS race?

No, I disagree with nearly everything you wrote and you clearly are out to lunch. I will quote you again:

“your men haven’t been anywhere near top tier for a long time.”

2021 was LAST year. You don’t seem to like actual facts so I will repeat them again for you: in 2021 the US men were on the podium in the MTR at both the olympics and the MTR WC, had a 6th in the olympics and a 4th at the grand final.

regarding the US women, again, stick to the facts. US women are 3 of the top 12 ranked women THIS YEAR so to claim that they have not performed “this year” again completely ignores actual facts.

here’s another gem of yours: “I honestly cannot remember the last time a US male athlete was on the podium at a top tier WTCS race.”

how about 2021 when pearson was on the podium not once but twice with a silver at leeds and a bronze at yokohama. how about 2019 leeds when matt mcelroy took the silver, beating gomez, luis (the reigning world champion), schoeman (the reigning olympic bronze medalist), yee, wilde, van riel, connix, le corre, murray, bergere, etc.

i guess it kind of makes sense that you are posting these ridiculous rips on the US men and women when it is clear that you have no clue what the actual facts are.

Pearson - 42nd Tokyo and 24th Abu Dhabi is not top tier or consistent. Hasn’t raced since Abu Dhabi
McDowell - 24th Hamburg, DNF Leeds and 10th Yokohama. 6th Tokyo is top tier. Again not consistent
McElroy - 16th Leeds, 13th Yokohama. Is getting consistent and knocking on the door.

Zaferes - prolific, probably best OD triathlete you have produced after Gwen. Hopefully will make it back for Paris
Rappaport - 26 Hamburg, 46 Leeds, 17 Abu Dhabi. 5th sprint WC Montreal. Inconsistent but is a podium athlete
Spivey - 4th Hamburg, 4th Leeds, 8th Yokohama, 11th Abu Dhabi. Without injury I believe she can be World Champ
Kasper - 12th Leeds, 9th Yokohama. Consistent and knocking on the door. Without injury can be consistent podium
Knibb - 6th Yokohama, 5th Abu Dhabi. Not raced since. Hopefully back on podium before end of season

Not sure what else to say. Your men are not strong or medal contenders this Olympic cycle.

I searched 5 years and couldn’t see last time US had 2 men on the podium at WTCS. I don’t think they have but my memory isn’t as good as it used to be. I got bored and stopped looking.

TBH in this Olympic cycle I can see both US and GB struggling to qualify the 3rd male.

This rip on the US men was totally wrong at the time and even more glaringly wrong after today.

Totally disagree.

Credit where credit is due Pearson had a blinder today. But there has been no consistency on the mens side. Admittedly today you had 2 in the top 10 but that doesn’t happen as a matter of course.

Your women are magnificent and your men are not as strong.

GBR aren’t looking brilliant on the mens side either BUT 18 months is a long time and both countries could bring through some very strong developing athletes and have very strong squads in Paris.

I am not sure it will be easy to qualify the 3rd male athlete for GBR but US have a better chance.