IM Pro Series 2024

Totally.

I watched his Mont Tremblant recap video on the trainer yesterday & he said he’s signed up for both Lake Placid & Frankfurt. He said the latter was a precaution in case he wasn’t able to race Lake Placid because of the rib injury (also fascinated by an unprovoked stress fracture there & would love more on that). So technically he could be signed up for 3 IMs. I think Lionel has been on message about chasing Kona this year & not over-racing so I guess we’ll see how that plays out. I support him racing 2 IMs, even if that means missing out of Pro Series points.

Looking through the results, and its crazy that Findlay and Pallant-Browne are both behind Salthouse by a decent margin at the current state of the series.

Findlay has 2x 1st places and a 3rd place at Oceanside
Pallant-Browne has 2x 1st places and a 2nd at Oceanside
Salthouse has 1x 1st Place, a 2nd, and a 3rd.

All else equal, you’d expect Findlay and Pallant-Browne to have more points, as they’re both maxed out 2x races vs 1x race for Salthouse. The difference is entirely due to Taylor Knibb completely dominating Oceanside. Usually 2nd place gets around 2,200 or so points, give or take, but with Knibb at Oceanside it was 1,848. I guess the lesson here is to race against Knibb at your own peril if you want any kind of standing in the pro series.Analysis spot on. But let’s just remember than none of these women will be IM Pro Series players come the end of the year (after Taupo) and all 4 (incl Knibb) will be (merely) picking up the $5000 on offer for all those finishing #11 - #50.

You need to look at Hering for the top 6 trajectory: Hering is looking to score in the region of 19,300 with a decent IMLP and 20 minutes down in Nice (am being super conservative here, I think she’ll be right up there). She has the IM Hamburg 5000 and two good 70.3s in the bag so if she chooses to race Taupo there might be a few more points to squeeze out (but Knibb racing Taupo).
https://proseries.ironman.com/standings#4257225834-2567427748

Tri247’s take on Les Sables this weekend: https://www.tri247.com/triathlon-news/elite/ironman-70-3-les-sables-2024-date-start-time-watch-live-stream-tv-channel
In WPro there seem to be few/no athletes who will score 5 races in the IM Pro Series. In MPro, maybe Mignon and Guilloux who each have a decent single IM score banked.

Mont-Tremblant recap: https://proseries.ironman.com/watch/ironman-703-mont-tremblant-90-minute-recap

As usual pretty much spot on.

I am much more focused on the mens, because as a Frenchman, guys are more likely to factor than girls. Iemmolo is the only one who might but she is still young.

Schuster is the only contender i would add, he had a better result than Hanson in Texas and a decent one at Mallorca. Crazy how Germans are at the front on the 70.3 distances. 12 of them are qualified for Taupo. The next generation may come up after Lange retires.
He is the only one who is close enough to the end of his career to risk over racing by racing Texas, Roth, Frankfurt and Kona. For others who are much younger like Rodriguez, or Mignon it looks much riskier. The pioneers in the sport from the 80’s like Tinley have often said that you could race a lot but you often pay the price later and it may hurt their career eventually.

Updating the ranking with 1 Full IM + 1 70 .3 as many have not yet raced a 2nd 70.3 or are qualified for Taupo.
i put the 2 Frenchman in capital as they have just jumped the ranking after Les Sables

1 - MIGNON 2 451 + 4 641 = 7 092
2 - Marquardt 2359+ 4608 = 6 997
3- GUILLOUX - 2 451 + 4 641 = 6 897 not TQ
4- Currie = 6 852
5- Barnaby = 6 691 But not KQ yet
6 - Hanson = 6 674 has raced a 2nd -very good 70.3
7- Lange = 6621 Lange - EDIT rectified after Ajax Bay post
8 - Schuster= 6 615 - not TQ has
9- - Lieferman = 6 212
10- Skipper = 6 124 not TQ

if you take into account 2 x 70.3
1 - Hanson - 8 993
2 - Schuster - 8 772
3 - Lange 8 235

As they are standings do not mean much as, for example, Hanson will have to score 2 more full IM and will have to substract Oceanside which is weakest 70.3.

Interested to see how Goodwin does, haven’t heard from him for a while, don’t know where he’s been? Was getting some good results and beating some big names a few years ago.

Interested to see how Goodwin does, haven’t heard from him for a while, don’t know where he’s been? Was getting some good results and beating some big names a few years ago.

10th, Iden not getting a top 10 has to be a concern on his return at this point? How bad was hid injury?

10th, Iden not getting a top 10 has to be a concern on his return at this point? How bad was hid injury?

He ran a 1:20 the last day and a 1:14 today , so he’s obviously ramping things up albeit still way off his normal level.

That’s his Kona qualification locked in anyway, so it will be interesting to see how he progresses over the next 4 months.

Would consider it encouraging. Dude has gone through a lot. Decent enough swim. Bike similar enough to front pack. Run improving from his last race. 3min back of what the best athletes were capable of on the run. 13th but only 6min back in a strong field. When the PTO scores come out I would guess this result would have put him higher up in a lot of other races. Kona is still a ways away. His bike seems the least affected which bodes well for double the distance. It’s important to increase his run fitness but Kona isn’t a 60 degree run like this was. My guess is that he’ll be ready for the heat. That could make up for a little fitness.

2024 IRONMAN Vitoria Gasteiz is out

Laidlow has to be considered a favorite for the race

Mc Namee, Bradley Weiss, Hogenhaug, Benito Lopez, are the main contenders for one of the 3 Kona slots. Zepunkte who won Aix against a good field seems to have improved his run. He trained with Kyle Smith who said he was really fit. He might even be able to ride with Laidlow and ride away from the field. He is my dark horse for this race

Few athletes who should factor in The IM Pro Series are racing, Goetsouwers ranks only 17th but could go way up as he would be one of the few having raced a 70.3, and a full IM. Pareyn and Wies are the other ones yet they will all go down after Placid which has a way better field.

Yet other athletes who are behind the leaders because they have not yet raced a 70.3, and a full IM:
Kallin (good IM result at Texas IM, but no 70.3 yet) Costes (2388 at Chattanooga), Petersen and Hogenhaug (decent results at Mallora -2388 and 2077) which have had better results at 70.3 than, for example, Skipper and Lange who many saw as eventual winners of the Series. Costes and Hogenhaug have also TQ with the possibility to score 2 500 points even being 8’ 20’’ behind the winner. Costes fininshed 11th 6’28’’ behind Bogen in Lahti which would have given him 2 612 for example and even 14th as above 2 500 points.
In the women race only 5 finished less than 8’20 behind Knibb and would have been able to score 2 500 points. Wilde and K. Smith may make it tougher this year, yet the mens field seems more ‘compact’/ or missing a Knibb- like type.

Ironman Vitoria 2024 (July 14th) – Seedings are out too

Mc Namee, Bradley Weiss, Hogenhaug, Benito Lopez, are the main contenders for one of the 3 Kona slots.

Going to be interesting to see how fast James Teagle runs over the full distance.
He ran 1:09:36 in 70.3 Mallorca, next fastest was winner Nicolas Mann in 1:12:17
Don’t think sub 2:30 is out of the question.

2024 Athletic Brewing IRONMAN Lake Placid, part of the VinFast IRONMAN North America Series is out (they tend to come out on Wednesdays 10 days before races lately)

after Vitoria and Placid the Series ranking should start to be more ‘meaningful’ and will help to know the scores before Frankfurt and Kona

Mc Namee, Bradley Weiss, Hogenhaug, Benito Lopez, are the main contenders for one of the 3 Kona slots.

Going to be interesting to see how fast James Teagle runs over the full distance.
He ran 1:09:36 in 70.3 Mallorca, next fastest was winner Nicolas Mann in 1:12:17
Don’t think sub 2:30 is out of the question.

Unfortunately weather forecast for Vitoria 32-33 degrees mid day will make the 2:30 very tricky. Plus the winding circuit, though probably a litlle short. Best of luck to all participants!!

2024 IRONMAN Vitoria Gasteiz is out. Laidlow has to be considered a favorite for the race. Mc Namee, Bradley Weiss, Hogenhaug, Benito Lopez, are the main contenders for one of the 3 Kona slots.Going to be interesting to see how fast James Teagle runs over the full distance.
Don’t think sub 2:30 is out of the question.Unfortunately weather forecast for Vitoria 32-33 degrees mid day will make the 2:30 very tricky. Plus the winding circuit, though probably a litlle short. Best of luck to all participants!!Yes, after the recent benign (ideal) temperatures it’s going to be hotter: forecasts vary!
https://www.ventusky.com/vitoria-gasteiz I prefer this 26C.
And, as you say, the run course is extraordinarily convoluted: not a great way to run 26 miles.
Here: https://proseries.ironman.com/...3-IMVitoria23Run.pdf
For the women Matthews and Visser are the only top ranked athletes. Will Visser really line up after her epic Roth 4 days ago? Seems bonkers.
Frades won in 8:46 last year, running 2:53 beating Visser in #3.
Bleymehl is highest in the IM Pro Series (#13 (with one IM and one 70.3)) and a second IM will lift her to the top if she finishes less than 7 minutes down. She was #3 in Hamburg.
This and IMLP are the last two regular Pro Series IMs for the women (the men still have Frankfurt).
Riveros or Clutterbuck to lead out the swim?

2024 IRONMAN Vitoria Gasteiz is out. Laidlow has to be considered a favorite for the race. Mc Namee, Bradley Weiss, Hogenhaug, Benito Lopez, are the main contenders for one of the 3 Kona slots.Going to be interesting to see how fast James Teagle runs over the full distance.
Don’t think sub 2:30 is out of the question.Unfortunately weather forecast for Vitoria 32-33 degrees mid day will make the 2:30 very tricky. Plus the winding circuit, though probably a litlle short. Best of luck to all participants!!Yes, after the recent benign (ideal) temperatures this heat wave will make the run super hot. And, as you say, the run course is extraordinarily convoluted: not a great way to run 26 miles.
Here: https://proseries.ironman.com/sites/default/files/2024-03/3-IMVitoria23Run.pdf
For the women Matthews and Visser are the only top ranked athletes. Will Visser really line up after her epic Roth 4 days ago? Seems bonkers.
Frades won in 8:46 last year, running 2:53 beating Thoes #2 and Visser #3.
Bleymehl is highest in the IM Pro Series (#13 (with one IM and one 70.3)) and a second IM will lift her to the top if she finishes less than 7 minutes down. She was #3 in Hamburg.
This and IMLP are the last two regular Pro Series IMs for the women (the men still have Frankfurt).
Riveros or Clutterbuck to lead out the swim?
Vitoria is like that. It’s been unseasonally chilly for many weeks and even tomorrow’s maximum will be just 19 centigrade. But Sunday will start chilly at 12 centigrade at the reservoir for the swim. I expect Laidlaw to go under 4 hours on the bike on such a favourable course… But the run even though there is plenty of shade will feel very hot so proper hydration is vital!!

I thought this tri247 article
https://www.tri247.com/triathlon-news/elite/ironman-lake-placid-ironman-pro-series-insane-showdown
was an excellent round-up of the impact of good performances at Lake Placid for the contenders for the IM Pro Series top echelon, particularly for the women. Far more ‘players’ are there than in Spain.
Hering has to be the favourite which would give her two 5000s plus her excellent 70.3 result already banked.

And here’s Ironman’s preview for Vitoria-Gasteiz:
https://proseries.ironman.com/stories/start-list-ironman-vitoria-gasteiz
2023 winner Frades (ESP) will wear bib #1. Next Matthews (GBR) who will be looking for another 5000 points to augment Texas. Bleymehl (DEU) was #3 in Hamburg and Visser (NLD) came third last year. Astle (GBR) will be keen to finish intact (calf).
Laidlow (FRA) there to validate his AQ together with Danes Kristian Høgenhaug and Petersen, the latter fresh from a DNF at 70.3 Les Sables; plus McNamee (GBR), Benito Lopez (ESP), and Horseau (FRA).
Bonus Q: Will Wurf grace his peers with his presence?

I don’t think Visser will race Roth and an Ironman back to back. The author probably didn’t know or didn’t care.

I don’t think Visser will race Roth and an Ironman back to back. The author probably didn’t know or didn’t care.I said yesterday I thought the idea “bonkers”. But just now:
https://www.instagram.com/p/C9U39vjiOVG/?img_index=1
"We go BACK to BACK 🖤🤍 After an unforgettable Challenge Roth last weekend, I’ll toe the start line of Ironman Vitoria this Sunday! Vamos 🇪🇸 "
I guess she has to race this if she wishes to get a top 10 in the IM Pro Series (she has a 4000+ Hamburg score). I assume she’ll race Tallinn after London T100 to set herself up for 5 scores (of which 3 x IM) - but will need to race both Nice and Taupo.

Bonus Q: Will Wurf grace his peers with his presence?It appears he will. Bike racked.
https://www.instagram.com/p/C9XBjDcgFL5/ (insta worth 15 seconds of your time btw)

Bonus Q: Will Wurf grace his peers with his presence?It appears he will. Bike racked.
https://www.instagram.com/p/C9XBjDcgFL5/ (insta worth 15 seconds of your time btw)

Yeah, he posted a workout from the race site on Strava today. I guess the big question now is will he go back to back at Placid next weekend.