Fire Near Tahoe

Be prepared for some smoky days this week. Hopefully it clears out before the weekend; I was up in Tahoe the weekend of the Lake Tahoe Tri last summer and that event got cancelled because the air quality was so bad. The fire isn’t anywhere near the race area, it’s just the smoke blows up in the Truckee Valley and Tahoe Basin when there’s a fire to the west. And with the vegetation being so dry this year I doubt they can knock it down very quickly; the only hope is that it comes across an area that’s already burned.

http://inciweb.nwcg.gov/incident/4108/

Ugh…I was already dreading the rain forecast on sat and sun but thanks for the heads up.

Weren’t we discussing the same thing in 2013. At least the water temps should’t be a surprise this time.

Weren’t we discussing the same thing in 2013. At least the water temps should’t be a surprise this time.

The water temp last year was not a surprise to anyone. It was the air temps that surprised us all!

Yep, is around where I live. Was watching it from Sizzler last night, amazing. Was super bad at my house this morning such that I had to stay inside.

Process is the smoke comes down the mountains at night and I get nailed. Then during the day the west wind comes up and blows it back up the hill.
Repeat daily until the fire is out.

Last year the fire was like 6 weeks long. This summer had been great until this. We still have a fire burning 5 miles from my house.

Maybe we will get Epic 2 on Sunday. I am ready to race.

.

I’m coming up to volunteer (bike handler in T2 for the 70.3) so I hope everything is fine on Sunday!

I’m coming up to volunteer (bike handler in T2 for the 70.3) so I hope everything is fine on Sunday!

thanks for being a volunteer. I will (should be???) in the IM, but appreciate all that volunteer.

Fires in late summer in the high Sierra? Surprised? Not me.

Fingers (and toes) crossed for good conditions this weekend.

Where do you get the rain forecast? both google and weather channel tell me sunny.

When I checked weather.com yesterday, it was showers Sat and showers/thunder storms for Sun night. But I guess it’s changed since. Besides the fire/smoke particles, the weather looks great right now.

When I checked weather.com yesterday, it was showers Sat and showers/thunder storms for Sun night. But I guess it’s changed since. Besides the fire/smoke particles, the weather looks great right now.

The weather forecast is moving all over the place. Looks like chance of some rain the next few days, but then the weekend should be clear. Hopefully this will slow the fire down so we have clear skies.
Going to be another epic race day, bring it on.

.

Since you live up there and some of us won’t be up there for another couple of days, how’s the smoke, air quality?

The last couple days in Reno have been clear in the AM, followed by wind-transported smokepocalypse starting about 4pm. I swam outdoors at 6pm last night and it was not enjoyable.

Not sure about Truckee/Tahoe; I think there are a couple members who live there and hopefully they chime in.

With mild weather and light winds, hopefully they’ll get a lid on this fire. Barring that, pray for winds without any southerly component on race day :slight_smile:

Weren’t we discussing the same thing in 2013. At least the water temps should’t be a surprise this time.

Yes. Last year the Rim fire was brutal - biggest fire in California history I think. This year seems to be many smaller fires (but still significant). Thoughts and prayers to everyone impacted including the residents of Weed.

http://ww3.hdnux.com/photos/32/15/17/6870002/7/628x471.jpg

Be prepared for some smoky days this week. Hopefully it clears out before the weekend; I was up in Tahoe the weekend of the Lake Tahoe Tri last summer and that event got cancelled because the air quality was so bad. The fire isn’t anywhere near the race area, it’s just the smoke blows up in the Truckee Valley and Tahoe Basin when there’s a fire to the west. And with the vegetation being so dry this year I doubt they can knock it down very quickly; the only hope is that it comes across an area that’s already burned.

http://inciweb.nwcg.gov/incident/4108/]

Last year I did the Expedition Man 140.6 at Lake Tahoe on the same weekend as the Lake Tahoe Tri. EM went ahead with their race but they made people sign waiver forms. Interestingly enough the part that the smoke affected the most was the swim. I think the particulate matter on the surface of the water and in the air affected me big time. I came out of the swim and spent five minutes sneezing and coughing like my lungs were going to come out of my chest. Luckily things got better once I got going on the bike but I have never experienced a reaction like that.

The real crappy thing is that we missed out on all of the awesome scenery of the area because it was all covered in smoke. Hope the same is not the case for IMLT this year. If it does I officially deem that race cursed.

mmmm Sizzler!!!

I live in Truckee and the air quality has been very poor the past few days. Yesterday started out clear then by early/mid afternoon the whole area was in a pretty thick haze. I’ve even seen a little bit of ash in the air (Donner Lake Area).

Since you live up there and some of us won’t be up there for another couple of days, how’s the smoke, air quality?

It just moves around. Ran in it this morning since it comes down the hill, then the wind comes up and back up the hill.

Looks like they only have 5% containment, so just hope this raining coming in the next few days helps them out.

.

mmmm Sizzler!!!

My favorite place to eat.

.

I just reached out to my Airbnb host in Tahoe City and she said *“The smoke is pretty bad from 2:30pm on, but air quality is good in the morning. I have been curious if they will still go ahead with the race…” *We wont really know for another few days. I can’t imagine this fire being contained anytime soon with how dry it is in CA. Looks like IMLT just put out a msg on FB that they are aware monitoring the situation.

I just reached out to my Airbnb host in Tahoe City and she said *“The smoke is pretty bad from 2:30pm on, but air quality is good in the morning. I have been curious if they will still go ahead with the race…” *We wont really know for another few days. I can’t imagine this fire being contained anytime soon with how dry it is in CA. Looks like IMLT just put out a msg on FB that they are aware monitoring the situation.

No way will it be cancelled. Look at what happened last year. On Sat it is raining and snowing on the race course. When we went to bed Sat Night, we had no idea if when we got
up there would be a race. Since the heavy smoke does not come in until later, as you said, they race will go on as scheduled. Just hope folks with Asthma are ready for possible smoke issues.

.