Carbon plate shoes for somebody who needs stability shoes

I would like to try one of the carbon plated shoes, but I have to wear stability shoes. I currently use Brooks Ravenna. Does anyone know if any of the carbon plated shoes may work?

I would like to try one of the carbon plated shoes, but I have to wear stability shoes. I currently use Brooks Ravenna. Does anyone know if any of the carbon plated shoes may work?

the more important question is why you “need” stability shoes?

Hoka Carbon X is probably the best currently available.

The Hoka carbon x is a great and very stable shoe.

I have the same problem and Hoka don’t fit me…to wide…but Nike fit great so I got an orthotic insole and that turned a neutral Nike into a stability shoe. I did this with my training shoes where I really don’t care about the weight. They are my high mileage shoes. My racing shoes I said “screw it” and just run in a neutral shoe that is faster without the insole.

I pronate and it was hurting my Achilles

Keep in mind that many of these carbon plated shoes it’s the foam not the carbon

that’s weird - i tried the hoka carbon x and it’s to skinny. I just wear the Arahi 3s in 2E. Haven’t been able to try the Nikes yet. Don’t want to just order it.

Keep in mind that many of these carbon plated shoes it’s the foam not the carbon

What’s your opinion on the Peg Turbo then? Seems like a REALLY nice shoe - just lost in the carbon craze perhaps?

Sorry for the thread hijack…

I pronate but wear the Vaporfly Flyknit for racing and the Zoom Fly Flyknight for training. Both shoes have soft foam and a carbon fiber plate but are some white unstable. Better said, they won’t give you any stability. When I run in them my left Achilles is sore from pronating in that foot. What I have done is to use an arch cookie under the arch of my bad foot which has been pronating. That helps me a lot yet still preserves the feel of these fast shoes. Just my two cents.

What’s your opinion on the Peg Turbo then? Seems like a REALLY nice shoe - just lost in the carbon craze perhaps?

I’ve not worn them but I have several athletes that love them.

I wear custom orthotics in all my shoes, including the Hoka Carbon X. That shoe fits narrow to me compared to the Clifton so I sized it up 1/2 size. It still feels a tad narrow – will wear in 70.3, probably not Ironman. But, it’s a great shoe and plenty stable with my orthotics. Without orthotics, not sure, but you should give them a try.

I have both the pegasus turbo 2 and the VF 4%. I like the turbo 2 more actually. Time wise, I see no difference, and the turbo don’t feel as softish.
Basically, more stable, but still very decent cushioning. They’re discounted right now (still expensive) but still $40 cheaper.

Did your orthotics fit easily into the Carbon X? I bought a pair but it seems like their insert is glued to the shoe and I’m wary of just pulling it out. (Especially until I know if I like the shoe.) For my orthotic I typically take out their insert, put in my orthotic and then a thinner insert over it for comfort and to hold the orthotic in place. (It’s only 3/4 length so it slips otherwise.) I’m also scared at this point to try running too much without my orthotic, but I’m also curious if people find in the carbon shoe they don’t need it?? Thanks!

I’ve been running in the Hoka Gaviota and my one run in the X so far I was really missing the cushion.

Did your orthotics fit easily into the Carbon X? I bought a pair but it seems like their insert is glued to the shoe and I’m wary of just pulling it out. (Especially until I know if I like the shoe.) For my orthotic I typically take out their insert, put in my orthotic and then a thinner insert over it for comfort and to hold the orthotic in place. (It’s only 3/4 length so it slips otherwise.) I’m also scared at this point to try running too much without my orthotic, but I’m also curious if people find in the carbon shoe they don’t need it?? Thanks!

I’ve been running in the Hoka Gaviota and my one run in the X so far I was really missing the cushion.

My orthotics are full size and yes, they fit fine in the Carbon X’s, even though the shoe feels a tad narrower than the Clifton’s. The insert that came with them easily came out. . yes, it is lightly glued, but easily comes out. I think it would work fine as you describe for yourself, to put their insert on top of your orthotic.

I have had such good luck wearing my orthotics for - - - - 15 years? . . that I haven’t wanted or needed to try running without it. No need to change something that is working very well for me.

Thanks for the response, very helpful.

Also wow, you have me beat. I keep thinking I need to get new orthotics, but mine are “only” 8 years old - new compared to yours! Starting to look their age, but I hate to change something that has worked.

Thanks for the response, very helpful.

Also wow, you have me beat. I keep thinking I need to get new orthotics, but mine are “only” 8 years old - new compared to yours! Starting to look their age, but I hate to change something that has worked.

I replace my orthotics every year as my insurance pays for most of it. I put the new set in my running shoes (allowing for a break-in time–critical as I have courted injury by not doing that) and keep them there and then rotate older pairs in all my other shoes. In the running shoes, main thing is to dry them out immediately if they get wet from running in rain or from races. Yes, always stick with what works!

I have the same problem and Hoka don’t fit me…to wide…but Nike fit great so I got an orthotic insole and that turned a neutral Nike into a stability shoe. I did this with my training shoes where I really don’t care about the weight. They are my high mileage shoes. My racing shoes I said “screw it” and just run in a neutral shoe that is faster without the insole.

I pronate and it was hurting my Achilles

Good to hear that a custom orthodic works with the Nike. I normally run with one but since the provided insole is woven into the shoe I didn’t want to rip it out and have it not work before I purchased.