Boston tightening time window again

hahah no not appalled at anyone running xc just how slow it is around here. I also see times from a lot of 5ks around here and in the RDU area and think “wow that’s not fast for a winning 5k time.”

I really enjoy working with the kids. I took over a team that had a toxic culture, at a school that has had 1 sub 5 min miler in the last 10 years. The culture is now open arms, everyone likes running with each other and the kids that returned from last year are anywhere from :20-2min/mile faster on our home course. I changed it this year making it a little harder compared to last year and allow the parents to see more of their kids running. Got to keep the parents happy. AD is so happy with how things are going he got the entire JV & Varsity cheer squad out for our first home meet.

My kids love coming out to practice and I really enjoy working with them.

I just really shocked at how slow XC is around here. I coach a HS kid in CA who was inside the top 30 fastest times in the state last year. I coach a female in TX who is a 2:18/5:15 freshman. She’d crush just about everyone in this school district currently.

If you’re running 17 flat you’re a baller around here. My CA kid does tempo runs at that pace.

2 Likes

had to look it up - RDU = the “research triangle” - Duke, Chapel Hill, NC State. Nice work DD, sounds like you’ve improved the culture, keep it up and good luck!

1 Like

5.8 deg

1 Like

I don’t think that’s what Frank Shorter meant when he said “Hills are Speedwork in disguise”

Doesnt mention any grade of 15%… and its mainly sprinting.

Queens st mile of Molenberg Mile series in Auckland, New Zealand, had fastest downhill mile time ever - 3:28

looks like this is the segement (the run one is messed up on strava). Has 2 peak grades of 15%
https://www.strava.com/segments/7013644