Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Speed Concept Sizing
Quote | Reply
Hi all,

I'm looking to buy a SC and am trying to fully understand the sizing chart.
I had a new bikefit (guru) and ended up with following X/Y

Pad Reach: 478 (measured to back of the pad)
Pad Stack: 700
Saddle height is 861

I'm assuming the measurements in the fit guide are towards the mid pad (please correct me if I'm wrong) so should probably look for a Pad reach of around 500mm

Taking these coordinates to the sizing chart I found online I am first looking for 500mm reach in the "mid-pad" line and find it's just between the Mid-Near & Mid-Far range.
Moving down a line I can see the 500mm falls in the "pad-range" for Mid-Far.
What exactly is the difference between the "mid-pad" and "pad-range"? Is this the movement fore or aft of the pads along the aerobar vs the movement of the pads along the "supporting wing"?

Now matching this with my stack I am 5mm to high (which I believe should be ok).

Based on the above I believe XL with Mid-Far stem should be best option, offering most flexibility to go lower and increase reach.
Any arguments why I should still go for the Mid-Near option?

Does anyone know what the standard stem is for an XL? is it Mid-Far or Mid-Near? I noticed the extensions come in 2 different length as well, as well as the seatpost, I'm assuming both come in the longest version with the XL?


Thanks!
Mike


Quote Reply
Re: Speed Concept Sizing [Chelle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi Mike,

I think you're in the right ballpark, and one of the Trek guys is lurking here and there so will be able to provide similar feedback.
If I may - I'm pad x of 482 pad Y of 718, 875 seat height, so we're reasonably similar in size.
To make my fit I'm a High-Far with 35mm spacers. I feel like you'd be able to do high far with not much in terms of spacers! But doesn't let you much room to move down.

I THINK the standard one is a low-far. But I'm old and I can't get that far down.

I would like longer extensions though!
Quote Reply
Re: Speed Concept Sizing [altayloraus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Long extensions is one of my worries as well, my forearms measure 27cm inseam elbow to wrist and 45 elbow to fingertip...
Quote Reply
Re: Speed Concept Sizing [Chelle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey Chelle,

Saw your note on the owners thread too, so I'll drop my 2 cents here as well.

You'll want the Med-Near stem not the Med-Far stem because the way you want to choose is by first finding your reach and putting it in the mid-pad range. If it doesn't align to that, drop to the pad range, but never go by full range.

So in this case you fit best on the Mid-Near even though you'd be on the higher side of it's range. Otherwise you'd be ~1mm below the Mid-Far range. But you can also see that the Mid-Far offers no mono spacers for your height, so that's the easiest way to rule it out. So then the alignment hits Mid-Near with a 45mm mono spacer.

Community Manager | Trek Bikes | http://www.trekbikes.com
Quote Reply
Re: Speed Concept Sizing [Mitch@Trek] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi Mitch,

Is the pad reach in the size guide not measured to the middle of the pad?
If so I believe the mid near doesn’t Offer me enough length as the 478 I’m loooking for Is towards the end of the pad.

Do you know what is the standaard stem that comes with the XL?


Thx!
Quote Reply
Re: Speed Concept Sizing [Chelle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Chelle wrote:
Hi Mitch,

Is the pad reach in the size guide not measured to the middle of the pad?
If so I believe the mid near doesn’t Offer me enough length as the 478 I’m loooking for Is towards the end of the pad.

Do you know what is the standaard stem that comes with the XL?


Thx!

Correct, it would be to the middle of the pad. You can add ~10mm to your measurement now which can help line you up better on the scale. What I would try to avoid is using a High stem if you can. But here's another question for you. Was your pad reach measured from the saddle tip or the BB? With our charts, you'll want from the BB.

Community Manager | Trek Bikes | http://www.trekbikes.com
Quote Reply
Re: Speed Concept Sizing [Mitch@Trek] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So i guess mid-near would work either way while mid-far would only work of I al comfortable with reducing stack by 5mm?

Do you know which stem comes standard with the bike? I'm now hoping on one of the above 😊

Measurement is indeed to BB!
Quote Reply
Re: Speed Concept Sizing [Chelle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Chelle wrote:
So i guess mid-near would work either way while mid-far would only work of I al comfortable with reducing stack by 5mm?

Do you know which stem comes standard with the bike? I'm now hoping on one of the above 😊

Measurement is indeed to BB!

Correct! If you wanted a Med-Far, you'd have to run a 45+5mm mono spacer to meet the stack you wanted.

And sorry, I thought I dropped that second part of your question up there. The XL SC will come with a Med-Far stem.

Community Manager | Trek Bikes | http://www.trekbikes.com
Quote Reply
Re: Speed Concept Sizing [Mitch@Trek] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Is that sizing calculator available anywhere? Where would a 712 stack and 421 reach (back of pad) land on frame and bar sizes (with 777 saddle height)?

the world's still turning? >>>>>>> the world's still turning
Quote Reply
Re: Speed Concept Sizing [Mitch@Trek] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Perfect! I'll first test the mid-far and decide if I like it of Prefer the mid-near.

Would you also happen toch know the max distance between the pad and the top of thé extensions? To check if it would fit my oversized arms? 😅


Thx!
Mike
Quote Reply
Re: Speed Concept Sizing [Callin'] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Callin' wrote:
Is that sizing calculator available anywhere? Where would a 712 stack and 421 reach (back of pad) land on frame and bar sizes (with 777 saddle height)?

I'd shoot for a large frame with a high-near and 35+5mm mono spacer. Not a fan of the high stems for the look, but you are looking at high stem regardless of frame size. The pad reach looks best for you on a large frame.

Community Manager | Trek Bikes | http://www.trekbikes.com
Quote Reply
Re: Speed Concept Sizing [Chelle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Chelle wrote:
Perfect! I'll first test the mid-far and decide if I like it of Prefer the mid-near.

Would you also happen toch know the max distance between the pad and the top of thé extensions? To check if it would fit my oversized arms? 😅


Thx!
Mike

That measurement I wouldn't have because it is all variable. Plus you can always do the plug-in mono extension with your preferred extensions (you have to do this if you want to race in any UCI race regardless).

Community Manager | Trek Bikes | http://www.trekbikes.com
Quote Reply
Re: Speed Concept Sizing [Mitch@Trek] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'd only be using it for triathlon so prefer to stick tot the Trek bars...
Should je possible though to definine the max and min "length" of the extensions.

Having a Trek employee here on the forum is really useful, thanks for all the input so far!
Quote Reply
Re: Speed Concept Sizing [Mitch@Trek] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mitch@Trek wrote:
Hey Chelle,

Saw your note on the owners thread too, so I'll drop my 2 cents here as well.

You'll want the Med-Near stem not the Med-Far stem because the way you want to choose is by first finding your reach and putting it in the mid-pad range. If it doesn't align to that, drop to the pad range, but never go by full range.

So in this case you fit best on the Mid-Near even though you'd be on the higher side of it's range. Otherwise you'd be ~1mm below the Mid-Far range. But you can also see that the Mid-Far offers no mono spacers for your height, so that's the easiest way to rule it out. So then the alignment hits Mid-Near with a 45mm mono spacer.

Hi Mitch,
So I plan on ordering my SC this weekend but am still in doubt about the right stem.
Could you elaborate a bit on the difference between the "mid-pad" and "pad-range" rows in the SC sizing guide?
For the med-far the mid-pad range is 503-520, how is this achieved? is this just from moving the pads over the support (not being the mono extension), with the support bolted right above the monoblock?
The pad range is 489-534, is this achieved by moving the support across the mono extension?


As already mentioned before, my pad reach of 478 is measured to the back of the pad so I think I should add about 25mm to end up in the middle of the pad, which I believe is the reach that is shown in the sizing guide.

Based on my reasoning, 503mm reach to mid pad would allow me to have the pad support right above the monoblock, is that correct?
Quote Reply
Re: Speed Concept Sizing [Chelle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Chelle wrote:
Mitch@Trek wrote:
Hey Chelle,

Saw your note on the owners thread too, so I'll drop my 2 cents here as well.

You'll want the Med-Near stem not the Med-Far stem because the way you want to choose is by first finding your reach and putting it in the mid-pad range. If it doesn't align to that, drop to the pad range, but never go by full range.

So in this case you fit best on the Mid-Near even though you'd be on the higher side of it's range. Otherwise you'd be ~1mm below the Mid-Far range. But you can also see that the Mid-Far offers no mono spacers for your height, so that's the easiest way to rule it out. So then the alignment hits Mid-Near with a 45mm mono spacer.


Hi Mitch,
So I plan on ordering my SC this weekend but am still in doubt about the right stem.
Could you elaborate a bit on the difference between the "mid-pad" and "pad-range" rows in the SC sizing guide?
For the med-far the mid-pad range is 503-520, how is this achieved? is this just from moving the pads over the support (not being the mono extension), with the support bolted right above the monoblock?
The pad range is 489-534, is this achieved by moving the support across the mono extension?


As already mentioned before, my pad reach of 478 is measured to the back of the pad so I think I should add about 25mm to end up in the middle of the pad, which I believe is the reach that is shown in the sizing guide.

Based on my reasoning, 503mm reach to mid pad would allow me to have the pad support right above the monoblock, is that correct?

Hey Chelle,

So the Mid-pad is the pad holders centered on the mount and moved to the furthest and closest bolt holes on the Mono Extension (and the Mono Extension position). Pad range utilizes the Mono Extension holes (and the Mono Extension position) but also the furthest and closest mounts on the pad holders to the mount.

Being that you have a reach of 503mm to mid pad, you'd have the pad holder mounted center on the support at the closest mounting holes on the Mono Extension. It would most likely be over the mono spacer or just towards the rear of it. But you may find the location changed after getting it fitted which is highly recommended.

Community Manager | Trek Bikes | http://www.trekbikes.com
Quote Reply
Re: Speed Concept Sizing [Mitch@Trek] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mitch@Trek wrote:
Chelle wrote:
Mitch@Trek wrote:


Being that you have a reach of 503mm to mid pad, you'd have the pad holder mounted center on the support at the closest mounting holes on the Mono Extension. It would most likely be over the mono spacer or just towards the rear of it. But you may find the location changed after getting it fitted which is highly recommended.


Not sure what you’re trying to say with that last sentence?
So on the mid-pad range, do the extensions also move over the monoblock? Of is only the pad wing poging accross the extensions?

Where you first advised the mid-near stem, would you still do so based on the above?
As I have long arms I’ll want my pads to be as far back on the extensions as possible so I guess achieving a 503 range on the mid near might put me too close to the shifters? Actually 503 is not even within pad range of the mid-near....

Thanks!
Last edited by: Chelle: Mar 21, 19 23:13
Quote Reply
Re: Speed Concept Sizing [Chelle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Chelle wrote:
Mitch@Trek wrote:
Chelle wrote:
Mitch@Trek wrote:


Being that you have a reach of 503mm to mid pad, you'd have the pad holder mounted center on the support at the closest mounting holes on the Mono Extension. It would most likely be over the mono spacer or just towards the rear of it. But you may find the location changed after getting it fitted which is highly recommended.


Not sure what you’re trying to say with that last sentence?
So on the mid-pad range, do the extensions also move over the monoblock? Of is only the pad wing poging accross the extensions?

Where you first advised the mid-near stem, would you still do so based on the above?
As I have long arms I’ll want my pads to be as far back on the extensions as possible so I guess achieving a 503 range on the mid near might put me too close to the shifters? Actually 503 is not even within pad range of the mid-near....

Thanks!


I don't know what your question means either, haha.

The Mono Extension moved forward and back on the mono spacer. Then it also has multiple mounting holes for the pad holder support or pad wing holder.

Since the XL comes with the Med-Far stem, I'd try that out first with a 45+5 mono spacer.

Community Manager | Trek Bikes | http://www.trekbikes.com
Last edited by: Mitch@Trek: Mar 22, 19 13:46
Quote Reply
Re: Speed Concept Sizing [Mitch@Trek] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mitch@Trek wrote:
Chelle wrote:
Mitch@Trek wrote:
Chelle wrote:
Mitch@Trek wrote:


Being that you have a reach of 503mm to mid pad, you'd have the pad holder mounted center on the support at the closest mounting holes on the Mono Extension. It would most likely be over the mono spacer or just towards the rear of it. But you may find the location changed after getting it fitted which is highly recommended.


Not sure what you’re trying to say with that last sentence?
So on the mid-pad range, do the extensions also move over the monoblock? Of is only the pad wing poging accross the extensions?

Where you first advised the mid-near stem, would you still do so based on the above?
As I have long arms I’ll want my pads to be as far back on the extensions as possible so I guess achieving a 503 range on the mid near might put me too close to the shifters? Actually 503 is not even within pad range of the mid-near....

Thanks!

I don't know what your question means either, haha.

The Mono Extension moved forward and back on the mono spacer. Then it also has multiple mounting holes for the pad holder support or pad wing holder.

Since the XL comes with the Med-Near stem, I'd try that out first. But if you find you are not getting the fit you want, try the Med-Far with a 45+5 mono spacer.

Haha well you just answered my question 😁
Ik thought you said the XL Came with a medium far stem? I'm confused now
Quote Reply