Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Meredith Kessler's Boardman Air TT
Quote | Reply
We just recently had a Boardman event and the great MBK stopped by with her bike. Pretty awesome looking race bike, figured I'd post some pictures of it in the forum.

Sorry, crank position, I know.

Pretty sure that's a 55 and she got it before it was widely available which is why the finish is different. About 5 months back we rode Mount Diablo all the way to the summit with EMJ, and Jesse Thomas, and MBK climbed on the 42 inner ring on a tri bike as it was a road bike. Pretty awesome but it shouldn't surprise me.

My favorite aerobars, really adjustable and a really comfortable bend on the extensions.

So the weirdest thing about Boardman bikes is that because they're a UK brand, they have the brake cable routing of the SLS and SLR opposite of most other frames. It's not a big deal, it's just opposite of what we're used to seeing.

Last edited by: AndresLD: Jul 10, 14 9:35
Quote Reply
Re: Meredith Kessler's Boardman Air TT [AndresLD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Very cool bike.

As for the finish on the chainrings, it is not because she got them early, it is because they are Atomic coated chainrings. She is one of a many other pro athletes (myself included) who ride Atomic drivetrains. They are still Shimano stock rings, but they have a small, very thin impregnated coating on them that increases the efficiency of the drivetrain. However, Atomic has recently been applying the same coating but adding fluro to the mix to enhance visibility and branding a bit. Saving watts on an drivetrain may not be as sexy as aero wheels, but the beauty is the math is much more solid than trying to determine what happens in wind. You always get a consistent, predictable amount of savings, and the more power you put the more watts saved.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Re: Meredith Kessler's Boardman Air TT [AndresLD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Does she use a power meter?
Quote Reply
Re: Meredith Kessler's Boardman Air TT [craigj532] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Her rear wheel is laced to a Powertap. I didn't take a look to see which one though. Sorry!
Quote Reply
Re: Meredith Kessler's Boardman Air TT [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sorry I know this is not related to the original thread topic.

Thomas, after briefly looking at the Atomic website I don't see any information related to any actual statistics or savings. Do you have any of these numbers?

I also don't see any pricing information. How much does it cost to get your chainrings and cogs coated?
Quote Reply
Re: Meredith Kessler's Boardman Air TT [lrcanuck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lrcanuck wrote:
Sorry I know this is not related to the original thread topic.

Thomas, after briefly looking at the Atomic website I don't see any information related to any actual statistics or savings. Do you have any of these numbers?

I also don't see any pricing information. How much does it cost to get your chainrings and cogs coated?

I'm out biking and don't have anything on me at moment, but I have sent a message Andy over at Atomic. Hopefully he will post some details here. If not I will circle back around and update.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Last edited by: Thomas Gerlach: Jul 10, 14 13:14
Quote Reply
Re: Meredith Kessler's Boardman Air TT [lrcanuck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thomas,

Thanks for responding to the posts and correcting the author of the post regarding the chainring. A quick look at Tim Reed's bike featured on ST will reveal the same CR...

lrcanuck - I am on the road right now but will get to the basics. Cost: $50 per chainring and chain, $150 per cassette, bearings and other parts vary. A basic drivetrain, two CR's, a chain and cassette will run $300 if I coat your parts. The performance gain from coating just those parts is greater that 1.2%. There are other options, wheel and bottom bracket bearings, jockey wheels to name a few. We see over 2% regularly depending on the kit we do. Please email me: info@atomicss.com and I can email you a p/l and answer any questions you have.

Thanks,
Andy

Quote | Reply
Interesting, and very cool.
But another question, how many miles do the coatings typically last?

Greg @ dsw

Advanced Aero TopTube Storage for Road, Gravel, & Tri...ZeroSlip & Direct-mount, made in the USA.
DarkSpeedWorks.com.....Reviews.....Insta.....Facebook

--
Quote Reply
Re: Meredith Kessler's Boardman Air TT [DarkSpeedWorks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Greg,

Typically they last about 2,000 miles. The maintenance (or lack of) can swing that largely one way or the other.

Cheers,
andy

Quote | Reply
Sorry to hijack, but are there any 55t chainrings for the fc9000 that do not cost north of $200?
Quote Reply
Re: Meredith Kessler's Boardman Air TT [v0coder] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Do any pro's use a 910xt? Seems like I only see computer set-ups like hers.

Quote | Reply
QKRTNU wrote:
Thomas,

Thanks for responding to the posts and correcting the author of the post regarding the chainring. A quick look at Tim Reed's bike featured on ST will reveal the same CR...

lrcanuck - I am on the road right now but will get to the basics. Cost: $50 per chainring and chain, $150 per cassette, bearings and other parts vary. A basic drivetrain, two CR's, a chain and cassette will run $300 if I coat your parts. The performance gain from coating just those parts is greater that 1.2%. There are other options, wheel and bottom bracket bearings, jockey wheels to name a few. We see over 2% regularly depending on the kit we do. Please email me: info@atomicss.com and I can email you a p/l and answer any questions you have.

Thanks,
Andy

2% of what? I simply don't understand. I'm under the impression that around 2% of energy expended goes toward the drive train in the first place. The friction facts fellow got ~5 watts out of 300 for the most optimally lubed chain. Derailleur pulleys account for at most 0.1 watts. I can't imagine how the tribological properties of the chain rings would have much effect. I'd love to see some data to the contrary though.
Quote Reply
Re: Meredith Kessler's Boardman Air TT [TheGupster] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i would be shocked if any use the 910 with the multi-sport mount. too much risk of it going flying in the swim.

i'm not a pro, but i have a 910 on my wrist, which for the s/b is really just data collection, and then for use to me on the run, and an edge on the bike to stare at while biking.

----
@adamwfurlong
Quote Reply
Re: Meredith Kessler's Boardman Air TT [corneliused] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
corneliused,

The percentage is of your power output. As an example, one of clients that is a federation tested many different parts leading into the London Olympics and as part of it they tested our coated products. In sustained efforts of 400w they saw a gain of 7 watts, which is 1.75%. Please keep in mind this was only a chainring, chain and cassette. When we coat jockeys, pedals and treat all the bearings the savings is much greater. So if you agree with FF that they can save 5w with just a chain, 7w from a drivetrain does not sound like a stretch to me. We have routinely seen 1.5% gain from the basic drivetrain (CR, chain and cassette.)

Best,
Andy

Quote | Reply
FF reduces chain losses to just under 5 watts. However the difference between a typical lube and their very best lube is around 1 watt. If you go from the worst performer to the molten speed wax then you may get over 3 watts according to this test: http://www.lillylube.com/..._to_Velo_Article.pdf

I seem to recall a similar test where they got even more, but the only moral is don't use a lube that tests way slower than most of the other lubes on the market.

Perhaps at some point you can show me some documentation indicating losses from normal bearings. It seems to me that so little energy is being lost there that trying to get much improvement out of the bearings is like trying to squeeze blood from a stone.
Quote Reply
Re: Meredith Kessler's Boardman Air TT [TheGupster] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
She's a PT athlete, so they probably want her to use the Joule on the bike, at the very least. Couldn't say about the run, a lot of times for the pros looking at a watch doesn't really do anything. They just want to know how far in front or behind they are of their closest competitor. That aside, given that usually there's so many more options available on a proper bike computer vs a multisport watch, it also makes sense that you typically see those types of set-ups.
Quote Reply