Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Cervelo NP3 "Super Bike" on a "budget"
Quote | Reply
I spent quite a bit of time building up this bike, well at least thinking about the build. I was between two bikes, this and the Scott Plasma Premium. I came across a deal on the 3T Aduro Bars and couldn't pass it up. I knew they would work great on the NP3 so I ended up going with the NP3. I was going to go with the Tririg bar as an alternate. I was previously on a 2008 P3. I was waiting to sell that bike and my older road bike before making the purchase. It started pushing later and later into the season before they sold, but once they did the bike build started. It was finished on a Wednesday and I raced it that Saturday at Galveston 70.3. Luckily my fitter, David Wenger of Durata Training in Austin had to make very minimal adjustments to the fit. Big thanks to JackMott for his input on the build!

The Build:
Frame- 2014 Cervelo NP3 Size 56
Gruppo- Ultegra Electronic 11spd Shifters, Front Derailleur, Seat Tube Battery, Junction Box, and 10spd Rear Derailleur
Brakes- TriRig
Powermeter- Quarq with 172.5mm Cranks
Bike Computer- Garmin Edge 510
Race Wheels- HED JET Disc / JET 9 w/ Continental Force/Attack & Conti Butyl Tubes w/ Orange Seal
Race Skewers- View Speed Skewers
Training Wheels: HED Ardennes
Saddle- ISM Attack (spare tube goes under saddle, not pictured due to flatting yesterday and haven't put a new one back there)
Cockpit- 3T Aduro Bars off of P5
-- Bar Tape- Arundel Bar Tape on Extensions and 3M "Grip" tape on the drops
Bento Box- Dark Speed Works (Inside is small pump, CO2 Adapter, CO2 canister, Valve Extender, quick chain master link, Shimano 5 Port junction box, View Speed tool kit, and on race day 2 Honey Stinger bars)
Bottle Cages- Arundel Mandible
Pedals- Time iClic
Shoes- Specialized S-Works

Bike Fitter- David Wenger of Durata Training

More Pictures can be found here: https://www.dropbox.com/...EqXxUkl9oUq_hbdNqYKa

-Brad Williams
Website | Twitter: @BW_Tri |Instagram: @BW_Tri | Strava | Co-Founder & Coach at: KIS Coaching
Partnered with: Zoot Sports | Precision Fuel &Hydration | ISM
Last edited by: afbadbrad: May 11, 14 23:18
Quote Reply
Re: Cervelo NP3 "Super Bike" on a "budget" [afbadbrad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Awesome build. Probably won't be many like it given then Aduro bars.

Maybe I missed it, but didn't see the size on there. 56?
Quote Reply
Re: Cervelo NP3 "Super Bike" on a "budget" [AndresLD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah, 56 just edited it with it on there.

-Brad Williams
Website | Twitter: @BW_Tri |Instagram: @BW_Tri | Strava | Co-Founder & Coach at: KIS Coaching
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Great looking ride! Was your old P3 a 56 as well? I ride the same 2008 P3 in a size 54 that is borderline too small for me and have wondered how well the NP3 would compare.

Nice touch with the TRS sticker on the rear wheel. :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Brad - Doubling the question above... I'm on a 54 2010 P3 and am moving to a NP3. Were you on the same 56 size on your older P3? I know the geometry is different, and wondering about sizing issues.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
New Training/Racing Log - http://www.earthdaykid.com/blog --- Old Training/Racing Log - http://colinlaughery.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Re: Cervelo NP3 "Super Bike" on a "budget" [colinlaughery] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just measure your armpad stack and reach on current bike and translate that to...any...other bike..

I was on a classic p3 56 with no spacers and a -7 80mm stem. I am on a P5-6 54 with 10mm of spacers and the most reach. It was easy to translate the fit once you established the pad stack and reach.
Quote Reply
Re: Cervelo NP3 "Super Bike" on a "budget" [Zenmaster28] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was on a 56 2008 P3. As James said, just measure the stack and reach on your current frame and go from there. I was in between the 56 and 54, but ended up going with the 56. I had quite a few spacers under the bar on the old P3. See picture below for reference of old position.

-Brad Williams
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I love the way you put "budget" in quotes as I would never call a bike with Di2 and race wheels a "budget bike"!

Sweet looking rig though.
Quote Reply
Re: Cervelo NP3 "Super Bike" on a "budget" [bwain] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Was waiting for someone to call me out on that. I already had the quarq and race wheels and saddle. I say budget because for the bike to $$ spent I think it is really good.

-Brad Williams
Last edited by: afbadbrad: May 12, 14 5:34
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Where did you hide the junction box?

Also, is the battery still external or did you mount it internally somehow?

Thanks
Quote Reply
Re: Cervelo NP3 "Super Bike" on a "budget" [power1369] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
All information is in original post. Thanks

-Brad Williams
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well not really but thanks anyways.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Love the sticker on the bottom of the disc wheel.
Quote Reply
Re: Cervelo NP3 "Super Bike" on a "budget" [power1369] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Look under bento box- "Shimano 5 port junction box" Gruppo- Seat post battery.

-Brad Williams
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No latex tubes on your race wheels?

You must be running Butyl and sealant for a good reason, and it you used your spare I might not fully understand that reason.

Suffer Well.
Quote Reply
Re: Cervelo NP3 "Super Bike" on a "budget" [jmh] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sealant works but metal punctured and stayed all the way through tire and I couldn't pull it out. So it just kept puncturing. If it punctures and comes out or is stuck in tire and you can pull out it out works great. And just think I run butyl and go fast ;). I may switch to latex next time I flat on race wheels, but knock on wood that hasn't happened.

-Brad Williams
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
afbadbrad wrote:
Sealant works but metal punctured and stayed all the way through tire and I couldn't pull it out. So it just kept puncturing. If it punctures and comes out or is stuck in tire and you can pull out it out works great. And just think I run butyl and go fast ;). I may switch to latex next time I flat on race wheels, but knock on wood that hasn't happened.

No one called you slow, we're just wondering why you're down with losing 1s/km on account of $30and 15 min of install time for tubes. ;)
Quote Reply
Re: Cervelo NP3 "Super Bike" on a "budget" [AaronT] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Haha yeah.....Is there published data anywhere on all the latex tubes vs. Butyl??

-Brad Williams
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah, It's been confirmed by all of the guys doing CRR testing at home (Tom A.) and Josh Poertner mentioned it in a recent interview.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
afbadbrad wrote:
And just think I run butyl and go fast ;).

With that logic you might be ready for your pro card after all.

Suffer Well.
Quote Reply
Re: Cervelo NP3 "Super Bike" on a "budget" [jmh] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Can always go faster. Next big investment will be time in the tunnel. Until then I will look at the little things and I think latex is the last thing.

-Brad Williams
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Cant believe JackMott helps you with the build and allows you to run butyl. Considering all the published data. Theres literally no reason not to.

"One Line Robert"
Quote Reply
Re: Cervelo NP3 "Super Bike" on a "budget" [wsrobert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah him and Eric will probably lecture me again about it. It is on my todo list.

-Brad Williams
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
From here.

Quote:
The main advantageous feature of this material is it's elasticity, or it's ability to be stretched, or deflected by large amounts and then return to it's unloaded state with very little hysteresis, or energy losses, due to the deflection. Because of this property, the use of latex tubes in a bicycle tire tends to give the combination of tire and tube a lower overall rolling resistance as compared to the same tire with a butyl tube. Depending on the tire, the rolling resistance can be lowered by as much as 10-15%. This can result in a power savings of ~5W for a typical rider, which is not an insignificant amount. For example, over an Ironman distance bike leg (180 km) this would result in a time savings of ~1-1/2 minutes.

Suffer Well.
Last edited by: jmh: May 12, 14 8:02
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Great looking ride. Curious your bike split at the 70.3?
Quote Reply

Prev Next