Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Trek Speed Trap?
Quote | Reply
So my new Trek is Speed Trap compatible. I still can't figure out what that offers me over a standard computer. If anyone can edumacates me on this feature it will relieve pain in my ass holes over computing decisions.
Quote Reply
Re: Trek Speed Trap? [tigerpaws] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tigerpaws wrote:
So my new Trek is Speed Trap compatible. I still can't figure out what that offers me over a standard computer. If anyone can edumacates me on this feature it will relieve pain in my ass holes over computing decisions.

25 views and not a single reply.... I'm sure i can't be the only one wondering how many "holes" he's got.

Having said that. All speed trap is, is a candance/speed sensor integrated on your bike. It can be paired with any ant+ computer.
So i dunno what you mean by advantages over standard computers. I guess an advantage over having a garmin sensor is that it would not have to be secured with zip ties or something and therefore be slightly more aerodynamic.
Last edited by: BayAreaUser: Feb 1, 12 16:47
Quote Reply
Post deleted by tigerpaws [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Previous poster got it mostly correct, they also offer a sensor that is speed only. What it offers you over a standard computer is just that it is hidden away in the chain stay, so you don't have a big sensor on your fork, and it is ANT+ compatible.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you don't buy the Speed Trap then nothing else will work on your bike. Trek has coated the outside of the frame in a special magnetic paint that will mess with the ability for another device to sit on top of it and work properly. That is why they build the area for their product to go.

Like everybody else said, I have on on my Speed Concept and love it that it tucks in nicely and looks like nothing is there, I also love it because it doesn't interfere with my wheels like my garmin one does if I change wheels and forget to reposition the arm away from the spokes.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The Trek SpeedTrap is a ANT+ speed sensor (and only speed) intended to mount in the fork (last time I looked) of certain Trek bikes. Some of those applications require a mount/spacer (available from Trek). I, like others (see recent Ghetto Bike Mods thread), have intalled this on a chain stay of bikes other than Treks for use as a rear wheel speed sensor.

The DuoTrap is a ANT+ speed and cadence sensor intended to mount through the left chain stay of Trek Madones and Speed Concepts. Unlike the SpeedTrap, it has neat LEDS that flash when the wheel or crank arm magnets pass the pick up when first activated.

Most of the comments in this thread refer to the DuoTrap.

Regardless of whether you're asking about the SpeedTrap or DuoTrap and assuming you have a Speed/DuoTrap-compatible frame, I'd suggest that they offer better integration into your bike than a "general purpose" sensor. However, all ANT+ sensors are (supposed to be) compatible and it won't make any difference to your ANT+ computer head which sensor you use. If you have a DuoTrap compatible frame and if you're not getting cadence from a power meter, you get speed and cadence from a single device rather than having to use individual sensors for speed and cadence.

I don't know which computer you're using but I can confirm that the SpeedTrap and DuoTrap both work with SRM and Garmin head units.
Quote Reply
Re: Trek Speed Trap? [Quattroporte] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ok thanks all lots of good info here. I have a Trek 2.1 coming this weekend and it says 'Speed Trap Compatible'. With that said I have not owned a bike computer in right at 20 years....since my old Avocet 20! I guess that leaves me open to a myriad of combos.

1. I have a Polar HRM....is that compatible with any of the Trek computers?
2. I don't have a power meter, don't plan on getting one anytime soon. HR and cadence would be ideal....suggestions for a head unit?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
as stated above, Speed trap only measures distance and speed.- Not Cadence. if you want cadence, you will have to get a cadence meter.

1) I don't believe polar is ANT + compatible- look this up I can be mistaken.

2) It really depends on your budged and how serious you'll be about cycling. What do you expect from this unit?
Prices range from >600++ to about 40 dollars. It's really up to you.
I own a garmin 500 and am incredibly pleased with it ($300ish) but then again, you can go to your local REI and get a $40 ant+ wireless computer that will synch to your speed trap sensor, hrm and pair with cadence meters.

I suggest you do some research on this topic, there are plenty of reviews online.
Good luck
Last edited by: BayAreaUser: Feb 2, 12 8:51
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ok I thought that you were having a play on words with the speed trap thinking it was something else to suck you into buying more accessories for your speed concept.

The speed trap is indeed located in the fork on a trek 2.1 and will only be able to give speed feedback, it does not go in the rear chain stay and display both speed and cadence.

The Polar HRM will not work with any ANT+ system, polar does not want to adopt it for their use so no mater if you buy a Trek, Garmin or other it won't work with it.

The speed trap location on your bike will have a "plug" in its place so if you prefer not to have anything and just want to continue riding free of technology then you will be just fine.

If you want to get something that displays both speed and cadence you will have to look for something that won't be integrated and will be installed on the rear chain stay.
Quote Reply
Re: Trek Speed Trap? [simpy16] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ok thanks sounds like a plan. I have been fine riding by HR for um.....yikes....23 years this season. Just figured if my bike came with this contraption maybe I would enter the brave new world of data dump, but methinks I will stay with HR. This thread alone scared me off;)
Quote Reply