Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

IM Cozumel freak out
Quote | Reply
Realizing that maybe my run should be better than where it is right now. Just inside of 8 weeks now until coz, and my longest run at this point is 13 miles (2hrs, see below). My program only has me doing 3 runs of 2.5 hours the next few weeks before I drop back down. Living in Florida it has been real difficult in the heat to maintain any sort of pace other than slow. I'm okay with the swim and bike, neither should be an issue, but my question is: Should I be looking for any specific numbers/time--I don't see hitting 18--20--22 miles in 2.5 hours, or should I trust the program? Bad news is this will be my first IM, and first Marathon. I want to finish first and be somewhat competitive second. Be nice

Use my name, randydial, in the promo/VIP code for 40% off @ http://www.e-rudy.com
Quote Reply
Re: IM Cozumel freak out [randial] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Change your goals to "finish and have fun" and you'll be fine.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Don't "Freak Out"......you'll be fine! Go there, have a gas, soak in the fun and sun! Finish and have a great time....
Quote Reply
Re: IM Cozumel freak out [mitchman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
For my first I had several "goals" throughout the day...1st was to finish and if things were going well then it was "finish before dark" and if that wasn't a problem then it was as close to 11hrs as possible. I had a great day and took it really casual and had fun. Try not to freak out too much and have fun!! First one is the best :-)

PS Thanks for the 40% off!!!
Quote Reply
Re: IM Cozumel freak out [MukMuk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the replies--had an "off day" yesterday, better today! I did the Clearwater 70.3 a couple of years ago and just looked at my training log from that. same spot as now, guess a lot of it has to do with the heat, because I did a 30K trail race the following weekend and did fairly well for me. There is hope! And yes I realize now that I have to have more realistic expectations---i.e. finishing and enjoying the day should be my only goal.

Use my name, randydial, in the promo/VIP code for 40% off @ http://www.e-rudy.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well, you're not going to win your age group or get a kona slot, so for your first, why not just concentrate on finishing. Look, almost everyone I've ever talked to has walked about 1/3 of the marathon on their first IM.

Your goal is to finish. High easy cadence on the bike, that should keep enough of the legs to run 1/2-3/4 of the marathon. Ignore hammerheads in the beginning/middle of the bike. Do your own race.

You'll live many lives in an ironman. Coward, survivor, optimist, pessimist, superhero. Halfway through the marathon, you'll swear you'll never do this again. At the finish, you can't wait to do another.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
randial wrote:
Thanks for the replies--had an "off day" yesterday, better today! I did the Clearwater 70.3 a couple of years ago and just looked at my training log from that. same spot as now, guess a lot of it has to do with the heat, because I did a 30K trail race the following weekend and did fairly well for me. There is hope! And yes I realize now that I have to have more realistic expectations---i.e. finishing and enjoying the day should be my only goal.

Looks like you've got it all figured out now! Good Luck!!!

Pink? Maybe. Maybe not. You decide.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey

Glad you are better today!
I will also be down in Mexico for the race - if you want to look at the positive side, then i live in Chicago and you in Florida. Meaning i will probably not get on my bike at all the next 8 weeks and my runs will be cold - open water swims are a thing of the 'past' and all...
Its an Ironman, its suppose to be 'groundbreaking' and scary, so all you can do is prepare yourself mentally (only focus on things you can change - embrace everything) and spread good karma, it will come back 10 fold down there...

Good luck!
Quote Reply
Re: IM Cozumel freak out [cowardlydragon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

You'll live many lives in an ironman. Coward, survivor, optimist, pessimist, superhero. Halfway through the marathon, you'll swear you'll never do this again. At the finish, you can't wait to do another.[/quote]-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
there it is. this is an accurate, wonderful summary.
peggy
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Chill Out Dude - you got this!!

It ain't Real Fear - aka - being chased by a hungry tiger

Running is the best source of fiber that I know of...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You're going to be OK. I've completed IM's in the 12 hr range on less running than that in my late 40's. And, coming from FL, you have a leg up on the others who haven't done any heat or humidity work.

I'll be there for the race; PM me and you can attend the sports psychology talk I"ll be doing for Ken Glah's group in Coz.

I'm in Florida too; all my long runs have been done in the middle of the day here to accilmate for Coz conditions, my pace has been slowooooo...

You're gonna be fine... but it won't be easy... ;-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You will be fine... just keep following your plan as prescribed and everything will go great. My first IM was IMNZ 2009, also my first marathon. Never ran more than 13 miles for any of my training, and had a great day out there. You will finish no doubt - my goal was to race MY race... and I did just that.

Second everyone else's advice and comments here.

Good luck...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Raced Coz last year....two words: "hot" and "windy". The people there were GREAT and the entire week is such a great time....so just enjoy the week. This is your first, so just have fun.....no need to freak out. The course is beautiful, Chankanaab park is beautiful and lots of sea life to watch while swimming. The bike was about 85-90 miles of wind since it is all along the shore (except for the cross-over part to the west). The run is a fast and flat out and back x 3 which sucks when you have to pass the finish line 2x before being able to come down the shoot.....but the roads are full of clapping people and they really make you feel welcome. That was my 11th long course and is one of the most beautiful races I have had. So juts have fun, enjoy the day, enjoy the experience and remember to hydrate and keep putting one foot in front of the other and you will be just fine.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Make it through the swim and the bike and survive the run.

On the run of an IM it is hard to tell who:

• Bonked -- went too hard on the bike
  • Undertrained for the run
  • Lazy -- just didn't feel like running faster
  • Injured
I finished IMs where I did each one of those, excluding the valid excuse -- injury.

The run is so slow and so many people walk that any forward motion is acceptable.

Enjoy Cozumel! It was my second favorite IM to Placid and less expensive. I sucked B-A-D on the bike, being my worst IM bike.

Swim - Bike - Run the rest is just clothing changes.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As you get within 2 weeks to go you've got to realize that you can't do much. 8 weeks out, you still have plenty of time to work on your skills. I recommend taking the time to get up early and get a long bike, and then go out for atleast 8 miles. My gauge workout was 100mile ride and then hit an 8 mile run. I used this as a gauge for my first 13.1 miles of the run. the last 13.1 is all heart, especially for your first one.

For me I like to know that I can do the distance. I swam the 2.4 miles in a lake a few times to get a feel for how I would feel before getting on the bike.
Bike 112miles, it won't kill you! You're in the heat of fall marathon season. Get out there and sign up for one and see where it puts you. don't even run with a watch and just run based on feel! You need to go into Ironman having one goal, to enjoy the experience. If you go into it thining 0:30's and you finish in 13hrs you'll be dissapointed. relax and enjoy training. If you aren't enjoying the process why do it?

Lifelong Endurance Coach
Triathlon - Running - Cycling - Nutrition
Check us out online to see what we offer
http://www.lifelongendurance.com
Quote Reply
Re: IM Cozumel freak out [TrainingInHI] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Any recommendations on spectators for the swim? Are there shuttles from downtown to the park for spectators? I was thinking that the wife and kids could come watch the swim and then stay for snorkeling or playing with the dolphins...any reason they couldn't do this?

Very sad that I suffered through another South Carolina summer of heat / humidity and all of that acclimatization is now slipping through my fingers as fall arrives. The flip side is that the long rides and runs are fabulous this time of year. If only a freak weather system would move through Mexico on Thanksgiving and leave us with a high of 75 F and 50% humidity, I'd be perfectly prepared.
Quote Reply
Re: IM Cozumel freak out [deh20] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
deh20 wrote:
Any recommendations on spectators for the swim? Are there shuttles from downtown to the park for spectators? I was thinking that the wife and kids could come watch the swim and then stay for snorkeling or playing with the dolphins...any reason they couldn't do this?

Very sad that I suffered through another South Carolina summer of heat / humidity and all of that acclimatization is now slipping through my fingers as fall arrives. The flip side is that the long rides and runs are fabulous this time of year. If only a freak weather system would move through Mexico on Thanksgiving and leave us with a high of 75 F and 50% humidity, I'd be perfectly prepared.

I don't know if they open the dolphin park for swims the day of the race for logistical reasons, at least not until after all the athletes have left with their bikes. The kids will be able to see the dolphins from the spectator spots though, so at least there's that.

As for shuttles, check this out:
http://www.ironmancozumel.com/...acion_local_ing.html

Also, depending on the hotel you're staying at, they might have something setup. Speaking of hotels, your best bet for the bike/run is to setup shop near the Palace. The bike goes directly in front of it twice & the finish line is less than a block away. It's an awesome hotel to stay at as well, my girlfriend loved being able to walk upstairs after I passed by & get on the computer to update friends/family. They also served their guests drinks on the sidewalk. I really can't say enough good things about that hotel.

To the OP from a 16-hour finisher of IMCOZ: keep it steady out there & don't panic. There are few hills on the run(they feel like hills on the 3rd loop), the aid stations are well-maintained, and as long as you have some sunscreen that keeps the mosquitoes away you'll be fine. When you get near the far end, look up & enjoy the stars. When you get near the turnaround by the finish line, enjoy the crowd. There was an 80 year old woman out there that cheered harder than people 50 years younger & she didn't have anyone in the race. She's one example of how the town turns out for the race; I've never been a part of anything like that before and it's awesome. Enjoy the day, finish before the cut-offs, and soak it in.

---

Iron Distance Race Selector
Quote Reply
Re: IM Cozumel freak out [cowardlydragon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

"You'll live many lives in an ironman. Coward, survivor, optimist, pessimist, superhero. Halfway through the marathon, you'll swear you'll never do this again. At the finish, you can't wait to do another."

Fantastic quote and bang on the money.
Quote Reply