Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
UPDATE, Oakland police: STING SUCCESSFUL! Lessons on how to get your bike back.
Quote | Reply
Thanks everybody for your ideas and contacts, all of which were helpful.

The rest of the story:

I had spotted my stolen carbon bike on Craigslist. The thieves waited over 4 months before posting it. [Moral #1: Do not stop checking Craigslist and Ebay regularly, if your bike was stolen!]

I knew it was mine, because it was customized in various ways, and had a really unusual saddle. Obvious by the photos on Craigslist. [Moral #2: If you KNOW it is your bike, don't doubt yourself...go after it.]

I started by CALLING both Berkeley police (where the bike was originally stolen/police report originally made), and Oakland police (where the Craigslist sellers were located). Oakland said it was Berkeley's problem. Berkeley wouldn't call me back. [Moral #3: Don't call, unless you have a good contact; rather, show up in person.]

Went down to Berkeley police, where I got somebody who said he would not help me until I could meet the seller first and verify the serial number by turning the bike upside down and finding it on the bottom bracket. Now, on the one hand, I actually do sympathize with Berkeley police: They are very busy, and can't go help every Joe Schmoe who turns up in their office ranting that someone is selling their stuff on Craigslist - only to find out that the serial number doesn't match. Waste of time. On the other hand, this was clearly a case where, had I done what the officer required, I would have put myself into danger! The seller was located in the ghetto; wanted $1700 in cash; and (as I explained to the officer) I had reason to believe the thief got a good look at me before stealing the bike. The Berkeley police wanted me to go do this with absolutely no police backup. Someone in the Bay Area was just robbed and killed at a similar transaction, a $1300 exchange for a car advertised on Craigslist. [Addendum: When the seller did finally show up for our 'meeting' (see below), he was carrying a knife.]

Then drove down to Oakland police headquarters. There, I was put in touch with an officer who said "Oh no, you CANNOT put yourself in danger, you have to have us meet the seller for you, I'll explain how to do this." (Read on.) [Moral #4: Do not give up! If one officer or department won't help you, perhaps another will.]

Had a friend call to pose as a buyer and set up an 11 am meeting in a public location (outside a Starbucks) the next day. She called from a blocked home phone number. We didn't want the seller to know our real identities or phone numbers. That may have been an overly paranoid move - and also, we risked scaring away the seller, should he try to call the fake number we were prepared to give. But, that was our decision. I did NOT want to put any of my friends in danger.

At 10:30 a.m. I called Oakland police at the emergency, non-911 number, as instructed. [Moral #5: Program your local police emergency number into your cell phone.] The cops showed up in a Wendy's parking lot one quarter mile from the Starbucks where the seller was going to show up. I had all the paperwork ready and photocopied for them: Police report from Berkeley; receipt from the bike shop which also indicated the serial number; printout of the ad from Craigslist; and something I had written up about how the seller described himself, and how I had customized the bike.

They ambushed the guy right after he drove in and took a parking spot. Parked right behind him, saw the bike in the back of his truck, neutralized him, had me identify the bike, looked at the serial number, arrested him and stuck him in the patrol car.

Turns out they had warrants out for this guy on other stuff. I said something like "I really appreciate you guys coming out for me, I know you have a LOT on your hands in Oakland" and they just laughed and said: "Don't worry, this is a GOOD one!"

They were smart and helpful. They never asked me to do anything that made me feel uncomfortable - like meet the seller face to face before they would move in. Oh, and one of the cops was a cyclist. Their beat was the Oakland hills, so they told me I should wave if I see them on Tunnel or Skyline on patrol. [Moral #6: There *is* some luck involved; I got a pair of officers who were very sympathetic to cyclists and understood my story about how I knew it was my bike...very customized, etc.]

Moral #7: When you buy a bike, there is no excuse not to write down the serial number in several locations, including the National Bike Registry. Very grateful I had done that. Sometimes you will not get the bike back if you can't prove the serial number. And you need proof of purchase from the bike shop, too.

Another thing I learned that I didn't have to use, but is useful to know: If the police are not helping, you can go to the county sheriff's office. In my case that would have been the Alameda County Sheriff in the town of Alameda. Someone here gave me a contact there; I'll keep it for the future.

thanks everyone!
DON'T GIVE UP; YOUR BIKE MIGHT COME BACK TO YOU!
Yay.
Last edited by: Oleander: Mar 10, 09 14:40
Quote Reply
Re: Oakland or Berkeley police department, need contact [Oleander] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Man, I feel for ya.

Bureaucracy at its finest. I used to live in the BA, so I know the rampant bike thefts...

I hope you filed a claim with your homeowner's insy co.

If you were able to retrieve the bike, would you really want to ride it?
Quote Reply
Re: Oakland or Berkeley police department, need contact [Oleander] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
my god...this is such a wonderful opportunity for revenge. Email the guy before it gets sold!!!

Edit: if it gets sold, craigslist should get you the email/IP for the guy who posted it.

----------------------------------------------------------------

My training
Last edited by: stal: Mar 9, 09 10:30
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Contact poster to buy it, show up with a gun. Steal your bike back. Pistol whip is optional

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Sponsors By:
MasterCard Credit Card
Visa Credit Card
Quote Reply
Re: Oakland or Berkeley police department, need contact [Tri Tiger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That worked for OJ!
Quote Reply
Re: Oakland or Berkeley police department, need contact [Tri Tiger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
LMAO!!
Quote Reply
Re: Oakland or Berkeley police department, need contact [TeamBarenaked] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
OJ did it wrong. Should've worn a mask.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Sponsors By:
MasterCard Credit Card
Visa Credit Card
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Make sure you get a screenshot or something of the listing. Wouldn't want your evidence to get lost if the guy deletes his listing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just PM'ed you. I think I can help.

Dave

Dave Stark
dreamcatcher@astound.net
USAC & USAT level 2 certified coach
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ditto. PM me if need another contact.
Quote Reply
Re: Oakland or Berkeley police department, need contact [riotgear] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ditto the other ditto, PM me as well if you need any further assistance.
Quote Reply
Re: Oakland or Berkeley police department, need contact [Nick M] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
why is it one has to call in special favors to get the police to help you recover valuable stolen property

this is an outrage!

=)

Kat Hunter reports on the San Dimas Stage Race from inside the GC winning team
Aeroweenie.com -Compendium of Aero Data and Knowledge
Freelance sports & outdoors writer Kathryn Hunter
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Try to buy it back, set up a time to meet them. Then post that time here. Have every STer show up for support. I own a bat, I don't play baseball.

Seriously, let us know what happens. I have had a ton of stuff stolen and never get anything back. I would like to have hope for the world restored.

t

My Blog:
http://www.staggerforwardrejoicing.com
Ultrarunning & Parenting: There is no finish line.
Quote Reply
Re: UPDATE, Oakland police: STING SUCCESSFUL! Lessons on how to get your bike back. [Oleander] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just updated my story; scroll up to see the original post.
Quote Reply
Re: UPDATE, Oakland police: STING SUCCESSFUL! Lessons on how to get your bike back. [Oleander] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
YAY! So glad it's back in your hands. What a crazy story to go along with it too. Happy riding :)

Quote | Reply
well congrats on getting your bike back. Berkeley PD forgot who they serve and who pays their salary. That part of your story really got my blood boiling.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Woo hoo! I'm so glad you got it back, I've been keeping my fingers crossed since you spotted it on Craigslist.

M

------------------------------------------------------------
The beatings will continue until morale improves
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Right on! Nice to hear your luck changed. I had three contacts lined up for you if you struck out. Two of them are cyclists too and were bent to hear your story. I'll let them know you struck gold, it will make them happy.

Dave

Dave Stark
dreamcatcher@astound.net
USAC & USAT level 2 certified coach
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Good outcome.

So, show us a pic of your bike.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Great story and glad you got your bike back.

-- Aaron Davidson
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Great story and outcome! Always glad to see the bad guys get caught and owners get their property!

To be sarcastic; you should have told the police it was Armstrong's backup bike or maybe that you are related. They found his bike in a hurry! : )
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Awesome, well done sir. I was hoping for a less 'official' outcome involving stunguns and fingernails being pulled off, but hey if you're happy!

----------------------------------------------------------------

My training
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Contact youe city council member or better show up to berkeley city council and tell your story. The Berkeley police are LAZY and need tobe talked to
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Great report. Thanks!
Quote Reply

Prev Next