Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

zipp wheels
Quote | Reply
What is the difference between the 404's and the old 440's? other than weight... is the rim depth the same? also when did zipp quit making the 440's? thanks
Quote Reply
Re: zipp wheels [qrguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Different hub as well as weight. Non dimpled wheels (starting in 05).

Quote | Reply
construction wise a bunch, functionally probaby not a whole lot that you'd notice. I'm no expert though.

construction: new rim shaping (more aero), non foam filled (lighter), no aluminum spoke reinforcement (lighter I guess), better braking track, supposedly more comfy, much lighter hub, lighter wheel as well, nice large diameter bearings for better dependability

performance: guess they are lighter which feels nice, more aero by a bit, pobably brake a bit better than the old models, maybe smoother bearings.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've had 2 sets of the 440's. One set is currently on my road bike. Its the only set of wheels I have for that bike.

The rim shape of the 404 is "bulged" instead of flat as on the 440. Bearings are different, but I can't tell any difference. My 440's have carbon hubs. The new 404 has dimples......good luck ever measuring or feeling a difference with or without dimples.

The 440's are an excellent wheel. I think they are more bomb proof then the new 404's.

Paul
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As others have mentioned, it is a completely different wheel. Similar in design, I suppose (deep section, low spoke count). The rims are different, spokes are different (CX Ray's used now didn't exist when the 440's were around), hubs are completely different.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I suggest the newest product from Zipp will be to 'Re-issue' 440's. Like Gibson has been very successful with their re-issues of the 1959 Les Paul Sunburst and Fender with the 1957 Stratocaster.

I think Fleck said his old 440's had done very well at two races this year.

If anyone from Zipp is reading this, PM me and I'll give you my address so you know where to send my royalty checks:-)

**All of these words finding themselves together were greatly astonished and delighted for assuredly, they had never met before**
Quote Reply
Re: zipp wheels [mojozenmaster] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So I should keep my 440, then it will be an original collectors item?

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Zipp has been vigorous about evolving there wheels every model year. As a result, there are on-going improvements in each model, and some new models for '05/'06.

For me, one of the big changes for Zipp was when they bought precision CNC machines to make their own hub bodies. That was a big leap forward in quality control that happened a few years ago at Zipp.

Prior to that, many Zipp hubs were made by a European company called Edco, makers of the (semi) famous Edco competition crank. The Edco hubs were beautifully made, but supply was a major problem. Edco simply could not make enough hubs fast enough for Zipp. Also, the challenges and lead times of the European export were another challenge Zipp was faced with.

As often the case, improvement was born out of adversity- in this case- tragedy. The two primary principles in the Edco operation died in a terrible car crash. This placed further adversity on Edco's supply to Zipp and mandated that Zipp acquire thier own extremely expensive precision machine assets to produce their own hub shells. These same machines are used by wrist watch manufacturers to make precision wrist watch cases.

Zipp began thee own hub production a few years ago, and has improved the hubs each year since. The current versions are a study of elegance and simplicity. They now use a slightly recessed groove for the "O" ring that retains the carbo fiber dust cap over the precision sealed cartridge bearing. This prevents the cap from vibrating and rattling.

Zipp also introduced the dimpled concept which may improve aerodynamics to a degree and is visually striking. Consumers seem to love it.

Zipp is one of very few companies providing stock racing wheels to top athletes and Tour de France teams such as CSC. These guys are on the same wheels (with the exceptions of some special wheels and prototypes their sponsored athletes use for evaluation and development of their retail products) you and I buy at retail.

I've always been a big fan of both HED and Zipp. Between these two wheel companies, they have made the lion's share of aerodynamic, race wheel innovations over the last three decades.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
age?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i dont know, but zipps are sweet wheels and unless you are lance the diff probably doesnt matter
Quote Reply
Re: zipp wheels [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes, it will be a collectors item. However, you must ride with it often and create some mystique about the wheel and when people say "WOW, is that an original 440?" You say "Why yes it is" and thay say "wow, what's it like?" and you continue ".....nothing rides like these old 440's, Zipp doesn't make 'em like this anymore........

Also, it is very important to have the orginal decals on the wheel.

**All of these words finding themselves together were greatly astonished and delighted for assuredly, they had never met before**
Quote Reply
Re: zipp wheels [mojozenmaster] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bump
Quote Reply