Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

zipp valve extender question
Quote | Reply
I have a zipp 404 (front) and 808 (rear) firecrest carbon clincher wheelset (2017). I need spare tubes for both wheels for races, and am looking for the quickest, easiest most dependable spare tube options. I would ideally like to have one-piece valves for both wheels, so I can avoid piecing together a valve stem. I know there is a one-piece valve for the 404 tube (I have one) but is there a one piece valve for the 808? If so, what is the correct size? I would ideally like zipp components if possible.

If not, what size valve extender should I get for the 808? It seems to make sense to carry two tubes with one-piece 404 valves, put an extender on one, and keep a spare extender with me. That way with my two tubes I would have the capability to change up to two flats on either wheel.

What is the best solution? I really don't want to be on the side of the road covered with grease, piecing together an extender, losing valuable race time...

Also, what is a removable core valve? How does it work, how is it different from other extenders, and how/why is it a better valve extender option?

This is probably not rocket science and I am sure this topic has come up before. I don't understand why Zipp doesn't make tubes with one piece valves for the 808 - that would seem to be the easiest, most hassle-free option.

Note- I already contacted zipp but wanted to also post here in the event there are other non-zipp options.
Quote Reply
Re: zipp valve extender question [CTYankee] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Here is a primer: https://www.slowtwitch.com/...der_How-To_3007.html

Schwalbe has up to 80mm with a removable core, which I don't believe is quite enough for your 808.

I know this isn't what you want to hear but I don't think you need to carry two inner tubes with you and to be honest I don't know many people that do. Hell a lot of people don't carry anything who are serious about placing high up. Blown tire blows the day.

This is my advice take it for what its worth. Carry one spare tube with a stem long enough for your 404. Remove the core and put an extender on that is long enough for you 808. Put the core in it. Now take one of those little black plastic "wrenches" and roll/fold up your inner tube with that little black piece sandwiched in the middle. Tape it up. Thats all you carry. Blow the back and change it. Blow the front and use the black "wrench" piece to unscrew the core and extender. Then put the core back on the stem without the extender. Now change the front. Blow a second tire and you are stuffed, it's just not your day so wait around for someone to help you out.

Now if you are new to this fiddling with the cores and extenders on the side of the road may seem difficult, but I can assure you with some practice it is not a big deal at all. My experience (contradicting the ST article) is that these cores and extenders with the rubber seal do not need teflon tape. Others may disagree but that's my experience with Silca extenders and anybody's cores. And they certainly don't need any torque just to get you to the end of the bike leg.
Quote Reply
Re: zipp valve extender question [TravelingTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks TravelingTri. I carry two tubes because one time on a training ride I had one flat, changed it, then got another in the same wheel 5 min later! There was a microscopic piece of glass remaining in the tire that blew the second tube out. And, of course, I was 20 miles from my car when it happened out in the middle of nowhere. But you're right... in theory the race is blown anyway if I had to change 2 flats (as I am slow anyway and barely make the cutoff) so will probably take your advice and just carry one.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I always carry two tubes, each set up for wheels I am using. If you happen to flat the same tire twice you will still have the ability to switch things around to at least get you by.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Get the Silca RVC valve extensions https://silca.cc/...alve-core-extensions

Size chart here

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Take a look at Continental Gatorskins or the Gatorskin Hardshell for when you are out training. Good Luck.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I do the same as TravelingTri except that I have to remove the extender if it's for the back tire because I run a disc.

Removable cores in my experience are way less hassle because I always get a good seal. It just means that the little valve can actually be unscrewed and removed as opposed to putting the extender *over* it.

By the way, when you change a flat, it's a good idea to inspect all the way around the tire for what might have caused it. You can run your fingers slowly along the inside of the tire, just be careful not to do it too fast so as to get cut by whatever caused the flat!

Coach at TriForce Triathlon Team: https://www.triforceteam.com
Last edited by: asellerg: May 19, 18 8:15
Quote Reply
Re: zipp valve extender question [asellerg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks all... I appreciate the advice.
Quote Reply