Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

zipp 808...tubs vs clinchers
Quote | Reply
i am planning to buy zips 808s. I am uncertain between tubs vs. clinchers. Any suggestions which ones to get? I have heard that 808 tub are all carbon compared to 808 clinchers which are carbon bonded to aluminum rims. Is that correct? I will be doing a half iron next year.
Quote Reply
Re: zipp 808...tubs vs clinchers [thakur] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Do a search on this forum and you will find a lot opinions on clincher versus tubular. Both are great wheels in the 808 with the only difference being the actual rim (carbon versus aluminum). FWIW- I would probably go with clincher. There just doesn't seem to be any draw backs these days. Better braking surface, and in the end , just as fast as tubular with less hassles. Gluing tires does suck. Tubulars are expensive, carrying a spare is a hassle, changing out brake pads for a race is a hassle........and the list goes on and on.

About the only positive thing that tubulars have is their weight. They are far lighter than the clincher version. Of course weight doesn't matter in the least for triathlon so I wouldn't even consider it.

At any rate, do a quick search on clincher versus tubular and you will have far more info than you ever wanted. Good luck!
Quote Reply
Re: zipp 808...tubs vs clinchers [tjs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I second everything tjs said. I own a set of 808 clinchers. Sweet wheels. I've owned other race wheels that were tubulars. Why bother? (I know there's .01% of the cycling population who'll say they are no bother. They're freaks and wierdos. [Just kidding ... sorta.])

Bob C.

The "science" on any matter can never be settled until every possible variable is taken into account.
Quote Reply
Re: zipp 808...tubs vs clinchers [psycholist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yep. I have had tubular in 404, 808 and 2 Zipp discs. I have had enough of tubular wheels to last a lifetime. They are great wheels and tires, but the hassle factor is just so large. I am going to make my LBS happy (I wonder if he is looking at this post) and go buy a set of clinchers tomorrow. Early Christmas present to myself :).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This is JUST my opinion. Find a very knowledgeable tri or state-champion TT expert and pick his/her brain. They're "top of the game" and do all the research and are most happy to share what they've learned. Take the time you saved from research and apply it to the pool, spin bike & track. For me, I just completed the purchase of 404 clinchers based on this advice.
Best of luck
Quote Reply
Re: zipp 808...tubs vs clinchers [tringo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Find a very knowledgeable tri or state-champion TT expert and pick his/her brain.

2-time (and reigning) state TT champ. 2-time (and reigning) Lowes Motor Speedway TT series champ. Not to toot my own horn (Toot Toot).

That having been said, nobody has ever accused me of being knowledgeable or an expert.

Bob C.

The "science" on any matter can never be settled until every possible variable is taken into account.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
that is exactly what I mean... now the OP can move on to the dinner table and fuel up for the weekend's ride... then, stop by LBS and order the clinchers and set his/her sights on victory next season!!! Time saved: 4 days of internet surfing... at a rate of $XX /hour... he just saved a ton of money! and have peace of mind!!!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
by .01% you must be leaving out basically most top tier pro's, and most top cycling teams who ride tubulars.

they couldn't be easier to use. glue once at the beginning of the season, which takes less than an hour. then never have to touch them the rest of the year. carry one spare if you like, although you're likely to never get a flat on them anyway (and if you do you can change it far faster than clincher). tires aren't that much more expensive and they last longer. and please, you're dropping nearly $2k on race wheels anyway so who cares!
Quote Reply
Re: zipp 808...tubs vs clinchers [sib1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Weirdo Freak!

;)
Quote Reply
Re: zipp 808...tubs vs clinchers [thakur] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i do have 808 clincher and love them. A big plus is when i travel with only one set of wheels like hawaii... i can ride for a week or two on my race wheels with trainng tire on.... then change them to race tire 2 days before the race and i m ready to go!

clincher give you the option of swapping tire for wet condition, better breaking and there is a small performance advantage of clincher over tubular and it s a lot less expensive and complicated to have a fast set up clincher than a set up tubular...(for a fast set up in tubular, you need the most pricy tubular and need to be glue so hard well in advance and if you flat... it will never be removable...)

just my opinion... both set are very good !

Jonathan Caron / Professional Coach / ironman champions / age group world champions
Jonnyo Coaching
Instargram
Quote Reply
Re: zipp 808...tubs vs clinchers [tjs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
...There just doesn't seem to be any draw backs these days. ...

Other than they are just plain damm ugly compared to tubular (and as you said heavier).

Weight for me is an issue in a race I am doing next year. It is all climbing so I am going with a road bike also. (Just got the frame yesterday!) For that race I am leaning with 404 tubulars. They are much lighter and look better imho.
Quote Reply
Re: zipp 808...tubs vs clinchers [Raptor] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes, they are fugly. If looks are important then go with tubular :).
Quote Reply
Re: zipp 808...tubs vs clinchers [tringo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am not sure I would agree. If the person is a top ITT or triathlete then they are probably getting some sort of sponsorship. Even if it is from a local shop and is only gear at cost. I am not sure either of these types of people are any more knowledgeable than someone who actually has to pay (full price) for their stuff.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Again, I'm with tjs on this. The pros ride tubulars in part out of tradition, in part out of sponsorship, in part out of the fact that they can ride on them while they're flat more easily/safely than they can a clincher ... thus allowing them to stay closer to the peloton while they await the team car or neutral service vehicle, etc. And as tjs said, the pros aren't necessarily any more knowledgeable (and may not be as knowledgeable) as the average ST reader ... and isn't that a scary notion!

Bob C.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
the pros aren't necessarily any more knowledgeable (and may not be as knowledgeable) as the average ST reader
Now THAT is a laughable notion! The average pro would be screwed if the knew less than the average ST'er, 90% of the stuff on here is very beginner oriented, but there are some good nuggets of info.

And no, the pro's don't ride tubies just due to sponsorship....equipment (other than the bike brand sponsor) is a very minor (if any) portion of their income, whereas performance is major, they're going to ride what they think is fastest. Not to mention, say you're sponsored by a wheel company, the company isn't going to tell you you have to ride tubular or clincher. And let's be realistic, the debate over which is fastest is kinda nonsense, totally depends on which tires you use, how you glue them, inner tubes you use, surface you're on, etc etc Just try both and ride what you like best!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dude ... go have some egg nog (with booze in it).

Bob C.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Dude ... go have some egg nog (with booze in it).
as i said, you would be part of that 90%
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Road pros ride tubulars because they ride better in road race conditions. Tubulars handle better, plain and simple. When you are constantly riding at 30mph inches from 20 other guys, and decending at 60mph through twisty mountains, handling is paramount. Also, weight has a huge bearing on road racing. Most of these conditions don't exist in triathlon (IMFL excluded, minus the mountains)

I think MANY (not ALL) top pro triathletes ride them for the same reason, handling and weight. While tradition might have something to do with it, I don't think that can possibly explain pro road racing use of tubular tires. Mavic has to make tubuar versions of their high end wheels that go almost exclusively to pros, because they demand them. They will not ride clinchers.

There are some really nice clincher wheels and tires out there. They certainly have the benefit of ease of use for the average consumer (once you have glued a few hundred tubulars it isn't really any harder). Some clinchers even approach the ride quality of tubulars, but I haven't found one yet that gets all the way there.

I think the reality of this is that it is all personal preference. Both set ups have proven to work extremely well, and for tri race wheels, you probably won't make a choice you are disappointed with. Just decide which one or two factors are the most important to you, and buy the version that wins in that area.

---------------------------------------------------
Disclaimer: This poster is a sales rep in the bicycle industry
Quote Reply
Re: zipp 808...tubs vs clinchers [bikescott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Road pros ride tubulars because they ride better in road race conditions. Tubulars handle better, plain and simple. When you are constantly riding at 30mph inches from 20 other guys, and decending at 60mph through twisty mountains, handling is paramount. Also, weight has a huge bearing on road racing. Most of these conditions don't exist in triathlon (IMFL excluded, minus the mountains)

Joseba Beloki and Jobst Brandt would probably have interesting things to say about this. ;-)

Bob C.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There is no way to know if those tires rolled before the crash to cause it, or during the crash because of it. I would say the second is much more likely. In Joseba Beloki case for example, the tar melting off the road was the likely cause of the crash, several other riders, including Armstrong, mentioned that they were sliding all over the place on that descent. Once you get a bike wheel sideways at 80k a lot of bad things happen.

Also, I have a former customer who is now a quadrapalegic because of a clincher rolling off the rim, which is actually more likely than a tubular that has been glued well. I have glued hundreds of tires, including some for some pros, and have never had a single tire roll off the rim. I have actually seen several clinchers blown off the rim.

---------------------------------------------------
Disclaimer: This poster is a sales rep in the bicycle industry
Quote Reply