Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

zipp 404s
Quote | Reply
i finally got a set of zipp 404 clinchers and they look awesome. as i was mounting a set of vittoria corsa evo cx, they would not go on. i have velox rim strip tape (11mm), with michelin tubes. the tires are used and stretched but they just would not go on. i am usually able to mount them by hand without the aide of tire levers. is anyone having the same problem and is there a solution?
Quote Reply
Re: zipp 404s [35518] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have had the same problem with both zipp and hed carbon wheels with aluminium clincher rims. Even with stretched tires it takes some doing to get them on, If you are very careful you can do it with a tire lever but risk tearing your tube (especially the superlight ones) if you rush. The only trick I have found is prestretching the tires as if they were tubulars, taking your time, and not using the lightest tubes on the market.

"The nation which forgets its defenders will be itself forgotten." - (John) Calvin Coolidge
Quote Reply
Re: zipp 404s [romania] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have had the same problem with my 2004 404s.

I solved it by putting some smooth high-end tires on it. I guess they are of the type michelin axial pro.

With these tires it is easier, but still not easy!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The solution I use is a little soapy water. Also powder the tubes with baby powder and they'll be less likely to tear.

Enjoy your wheels!

-SD

p.s. what color is your freehub body?

https://www.kickstarter.com/...bike-for-the-new-era
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had the same issue on Shimano Dura Ace clincher wheels before. After complaining to some teammates who also had the same wheels, they turned me on to Rim Rox tape. That 100% fixed this issue for me. Not only can I get any tire on the wheels now, I can pretty much get by with little to no help from tire levers.

Here's a bit of advise if you choose to try this tape out: Make sure that there are no rough edges around spoke holes, etc. Smooth out any sharp edges that you find. This tape is REALLY thin, and I'd worry about a sharp edge wearing through the tape, or increasing the risk of a puncture. Another suggestion is that you apply the tape with alot of tension. Just keep it tight as you apply it to the wheel.

After taking those precautions, I've have zero flats, and tire changes have been a breeze. This was particularly important since I sometimes run a 20mm tire on these wheels due to a clearance issue with my tt frame. Most 23mm tires can rub under load on the trainer. Getting a 20mm clincher mounted was a huge issue compared to a 23. Now it is a reasonable task.

You can find Rim Rox tape at Performance Bicycle.
Quote Reply
Re: zipp 404s [tospin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
what does rim tape have to do with getting the tire on the rim?

TheBikeRacer.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I quote Josh from Zipp, who posts here as 'joshatzipp':

".....I personally like the Michelin axial pro or similar as they ride well at the intended pressure (100-105) and have good grip in wet and dry, plus they have very smooth tread/casing interface for optimal aero. That tire on a 404 clincher is the fastest we've ever tested for a clincher."

Stephen Perera
Gibraltar, Europe
graphics@gibraltar.gi
Quote Reply
Re: zipp 404s [mwbyrd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It decreases the inside diameter of the wheel allowing the the tire to slide on easier.Be carefull.The tape could move under extreme heat.
Cullen
Quote Reply
Re: zipp 404s [Cullen Watkins] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I had the same problem, ditched the clinchers for 404 tubulars. What happens if you flat in a big race, you are screwed.. Get the tubs....

"You're guaranteed to miss 100% of the shots you never take" - Wayne Gretzky
Quote Reply
Re: zipp 404s [flytri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am not sure what the problem is here. I have a set of HED 3 cinchers and a Renn disc clincher and all of the tires (Michelin IM or Prorace) I use go right on. I had some 303 tubs and it was pure hell to get the tire on, even if I prestreched it. Those went away on EBAY for other reasons. I can change a tube out on any of my clinchers in about 2-3 minutes. It would seem to me that if it is that hard to change a tire then the rim size is incorrect. I also train or race in bad weather on a set of Mavic Ksyrium Elites, which is by the way the most under rated wheelset I have ever been on, and the tires go right on to those things also.
Quote Reply
Re: zipp 404s [mwbyrd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
what does rim tape have to do with getting the tire on the rim?

Surprisingly more than you might think. I was skeptical before as well, but decided to give the tape a try and was immediately convinced.

Think of it like this, the tape adds a small amount of added diameter to the inside of the rim. While you are trying to stretch the bead over the outer lip of the rim, the opposite side is up against the tape. The thinner it is, the more slack you have to get the tire on. While the thickness of the tape may seen insignificant, it makes a pretty big difference. The Rim Rox tape is also much smoother. Being smoother might allow the tire to slide into a position that allows more room to slip the tire on (we're taking about the side that is already sitting against the tape). I've not tried this, but you could just test the theory out by replacing your rim tape with some scotch tape. This would only serve the purpose of testing the theory about getting the tire on easier, not to actually put to use on the road.
Quote Reply