Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

you need to be a lot more than 2m apart when cycling due to COVID-19
Quote | Reply
Check out this article from road.cc
Key take aways
1. You need to be a lot more than the 2 meter social distancing recommendations.
2. You're in other person's airspace much quicker when you're cycling, than when you're walking.
https://road.cc/...cyclist-ahead-272229
Quote Reply
Re: you need to be a lot more than 2m apart when cycling due to COVID-19 [Samok.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think riding side by side is ok, even wiith less than 2 m apart. The air you exhale, goes straght back. And because of the velocity, the amount of vira will ve a lot less pr volume unit.

So i think the article is overdoing it. I have chosen to ride with the same friend.
Quote Reply
Re: you need to be a lot more than 2m apart when cycling due to COVID-19 [Samok.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
key points from the article.

No one here at road.cc is a virologist ...

• Leave way more than two metres between you and any rider ahead.
• Pass any other rider as wide as is safely possible, and avoid cutting in.
• No snot rockets and no spitting

obviously to be 100% safe. stay at home. otherwise, as stated give others a wide berth if possible. as far as I know, I haven't seen any studies related to virus droplets where they tested any where other than in a lab where there are no environmental conditions. I understand in enclosed spaces they can better predict how long droplets will stay in the air. outside obviously becomes far trickier.
Quote Reply
Re: you need to be a lot more than 2m apart when cycling due to COVID-19 [mickison] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mickison wrote:
key points from the article.

No one here at road.cc is a virologist ...

• Leave way more than two metres between you and any rider ahead.
• Pass any other rider as wide as is safely possible, and avoid cutting in.
• No snot rockets and no spitting

obviously to be 100% safe. stay at home. otherwise, as stated give others a wide berth if possible. as far as I know, I haven't seen any studies related to virus droplets where they tested any where other than in a lab where there are no environmental conditions. I understand in enclosed spaces they can better predict how long droplets will stay in the air. outside obviously becomes far trickier.

The summary of this thread is if you do a 300km ride with Joe Skipper stay 20 meters ahead of him or behind him even though the ride stats will not be posted on Strava!!!!
Quote Reply
Re: you need to be a lot more than 2m apart when cycling due to COVID-19 [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I’ll be sure to make a note of that for next time I’m out with him for a 300k Cruise
Quote Reply
Re: you need to be a lot more than 2m apart when cycling due to COVID-19 [mickison] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mickison wrote:
I’ll be sure to make a note of that for next time I’m out with him for a 300k Cruise

Frodo is laughing now because he kept his 2 man 300km TT workout stealth and off social media LOL. Patrick Lange is crying after trying to lead Frodo that long because he was scared to draft and get Covid19
Quote Reply
Re: you need to be a lot more than 2m apart when cycling due to COVID-19 [Dane82] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dane82 wrote:
I think riding side by side is ok, even wiith less than 2 m apart. The air you exhale, goes straight back. And because of the velocity, the amount of vira will ve a lot less pr volume unit.

So i think the article is overdoing it. I have chosen to ride with the same friend.

Think strategically... ride alone. Side by side is not right, 2m apart is not safe.

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Re: you need to be a lot more than 2m apart when cycling due to COVID-19 [Dane82] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
not a reply just to you, necessarily, just in general - i understand that some prefer to get their bit of exercise outside instead of staying inside, and that's technically ok per government rules (i'm not in UK, but just going by the article), but can't we all just ride alone right now? if there has to be a debate about what distance/rider orientation is safe...we're not sure what's safe. and we should default to what we KNOW is safe. people are dying all over the world. guidelines say alone or with a member of household, only. rant over.
Quote Reply
Re: you need to be a lot more than 2m apart when cycling due to COVID-19 [PBT_2009] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
PBT_2009 wrote:
not a reply just to you, necessarily, just in general - i understand that some prefer to get their bit of exercise outside instead of staying inside, and that's technically ok per government rules (i'm not in UK, but just going by the article), but can't we all just ride alone right now? if there has to be a debate about what distance/rider orientation is safe...we're not sure what's safe. and we should default to what we KNOW is safe. people are dying all over the world. guidelines say alone or with a member of household, only. rant over.

This.
It's what I've been doing.
- Ride alone.
- Tell Mrs where I'm going.
- Go out on quiet roads.
- Don't ride like a tw@t.
-Take it steady on corners and downhill etc - don't be a d1ck and crash.
- take some tools etc so you can fix most mechanicals.
- i have the Spesh 'Angi' device and set the cell phone as a tracker so Mrs knows where I am (and if I do happen to be a dick and crash)
- Don't stick the details on Strava, Connect or other public domains.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The conclusion is probably right, but the analysis has a flaw. The author seems to assume that your exhaled moisture is stationary. It’s not. It leaves your body with your forward momentum. Thereafter, wind resistance will slow down the exhaled moisture’s forward momentum. The actual calculation is probably complicated.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nitpick point, even riders who are drafting very closely (team pursuit below) are 2m apart (head to head).

To the article's point, it's not nearly enough. The 2m guideline is for people breathing normally in a velocity/windless environment. Given all the turbulent airflow coming off a rider, the increased probability of having your mouth wide open, etc.; just ride solo.

There are the "smart" helmets that have 800m range communication (ex. Sena R1) that could conceivably be used for a highly distanced "group ride."

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Re: you need to be a lot more than 2m apart when cycling due to COVID-19 [Titanflexr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
To resolve this once and for all we may need to go the windtunnel with a Covid infected lead rider and get volunteers to sign up to ride with said rider at different wattages, different locations and different yaw angles with different relative air speed to see who gets affected and how assuming they all have the same immune systems going in.

Once the study is done for this we will have the ultimate study in social distancing and it will be the most accurate data out there in the public domain. slowman will sell the patent rights from which he will fund a new pro tour cycling team that will race in "no fans" grand tours. He'll hire Lance as team manager. Joe Skipper will be the training ride pace man for the daily 300km rides. Strava uploads optional. Wurf will be posting about the 20km runs off the daily worldtour rides on Strava by then on behalf of the team.

In the mean time, I will ride solo....heading for an hour on my rollers now.

Titanflexr wrote:
Nitpick point, even riders who are drafting very closely (team pursuit below) are 2m apart (head to head).

To the article's point, it's not nearly enough. The 2m guideline is for people breathing normally in a velocity/windless environment. Given all the turbulent airflow coming off a rider, the increased probability of having your mouth wide open, etc.; just ride solo.

There are the "smart" helmets that have 800m range communication (ex. Sena R1) that could conceivably be used for a highly distanced "group ride."

Quote Reply