Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

you can only recommend one bike...
Quote | Reply
I am considering a new bike frame for long-distance tri (half and full IM's). If comfort (rough roads around me) is the single most important factor (and I agree fit has a lot to do with comfort), which bike would you choose:

QR Lucero (it is carbon after all)

Yaqui Carbo (hoping it would be a perfect fit, but aluminum... can it compare to an all carbon frame?)

Cervelo P2k (geometry as good for tri as a Yaqui Carbo??? at the cost of $1000 less?)

Griffen Vulcan (great reviews on the site by rides, but how come no independent site has reviewed them? Is the comfort any better than a Yaqui or a Lucero?)

Demerly... Empfield... any thoughts? How about you Khai? You champion the Yaqui on this site.

My rides? Started on the QR Kilo and it was hard on long rides... like Apple Cider Century. It has made me gun shy to aluminum. Tried the KM40 for about 8 months, loved the ride as far as the road feel, but the fit was never quite right... thus a carbon frame that has limited sizes... like the Lucero, makes me a little weary as to fit. Currently on a Trek 5200 (55 cm) for my road bike (love it) and a softride for my tri bike. Not so happy with the feeling (not road feel, but response feel) on a softride. I am about 5'9.5" and weigh 160 lbs.

There you go.
Quote Reply
Re: you can only recommend one bike... [gammastarr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Right off, let's start by eliminating the notion that frames built out of certain materials will have a given set of properties. You can make whippy aluminum, harsh riding carbon, and heavy ti. It's ALL about the design and manufacturing process, not the material.

Let's go down the list then:

Griffing Vulcan - I don't really know much about these, other than I've heard a lot of positive comments by previous and current owners. Natacha rode one last year (in Hawaii) when her Cheetah got damaged, and seemed to do pretty well. I understand they're pretty comfortable, but don't really know firsthand, nor have I seen any direct comparisons. Bottom line - if it fits you, it's probably a solid ride.

QR Lucero - again, I don't know much about this other than it isn't a Kalibur/Isaac knockoff ;) It's a new model that may or may not be available in your area if speed of delivery is a concern, and brings with it all the potential issues that any 1st generation model has re: bugs that have yet to be worked out. Sexy looking bike, but a fairly large unknown factor.

P2k - rock solid design backed up by solid manufacturing processes and procedures. Built by a company that understands tri geometry, and owns a huge chunk of the market with good reason. Some people claim the ride to be kind of harsh, while others say it's super comfy over 112. Wheel/tyre selection and proper inflation are likely the reason for this wide discrepancy. *Should fit you, if it doesn't the Dual will.

Carbo - pretty much guaranteed that this bike will fit you perfectly, especially if you're willing to spend the extra $200 for custom geometry (if needed). No need to worry about handling issues brought on by extreme stem length, 10cm of spacers, poor fore/aft balance, etc - Ves will design the bike to not only fit you, but to handle optimally for you. Design & component selection takes into account your physiology, experience and riding style. Ves is spooky with his ability to predict riding style and strengths/weaknesses based just on one's body measurements. Rock solid rear triangle due to the carbon seat stays, and Ves' own (personally designed) chainstays. Reportedly extremely comfortable over the long haul, and NOT because of the carbon stays. Comfort is a fit/design issue - not a materials issue. Huge selection of custom colours and paints, if desired.

One other thing to think about is that this is your only bike. The Vulcan/Lucero/P2k are 100% dedicated tri bikes. Ask SimpleS about his wife's Yaqui. She asked Ves to build her 1 bike for everything from crit racing to IM racing. His solution was very innovative and quite elegant. I'm extremely impressed.

Given a good fit, I doubt you can really go wrong with any of the bikes you've chosen - but only one option guarantees both fit and proper handling.

<If you're gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough>
Get Fitter!
Proud member of the Smartasscrew, MONSTER CLUB
Get your FIX today?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'll vouch for the Yaqui Carbo being a very comfortable, great-handling, lightweight bike. I have a full carbon Kestrel...guess what? The Yaqui has better ride quality over rough surfaces. So, don't think aluminum can't be as good as all carbon.

All that said, if you are doing long distance and have rough roads...nothing beats a beam bike for exactly those conditions. I have a Titan Flex that gets most of my ride time. I no longer get sore underparts nor a sore lower back. I don't know if it is faster, slower, or the same average speed as my Carbo, but, it is the most comfortable bike I've ever ridden, with the exception of a full suspension mountain bike!

All those bikes you mentioned are at least good.

Quid quid latine dictum sit altum videtur
(That which is said in Latin sounds profound)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What ever you do don't get anything pre 1976. All this technology is fashion. A steel lugged frame with clips is all you need. Aerobar? Yeah if you a poser and unreal triathlete.

(sarcasm)

customerjon @gmail.com is where information happens.
Quote Reply
Re: you can only recommend one bike... [Mr. Tibbs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Why not get a Giant TCR Composite and use the forward seatpost? I hear they're comfortable, plus, when you wanna go all roadie, you can just take off the aerobars and put a straight seatpost on it, and voila! Instant non-Fred cred. ;-)

Michellie Jones has a sweet setup on this frame, so it can't be too bad, huh?

T.
Quote Reply
Re: you can only recommend one bike... [big kahuna] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tony wrote: Why not get a Giant TCR Composite and use the forward seatpost?

Cerveloguy (I believe) did this to a TCR and had a good result. I tried it and didn't. I'm too top-heavy, and getting that much weight on the front wheel on a frame made for a squirrelly ride. Still, I think it's a good idea to try.

Quid quid latine dictum sit altum videtur
(That which is said in Latin sounds profound)
Quote Reply
Re: you can only recommend one bike... [Khai] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I second the Yaqui Carbo reccomendation.

Natasha rode her Cheetah in Hawaii last year. It was another IM or 1/2 IM race earlier in the year that she rode a Griffen.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I can only speak firsthand about the Griffen. I have a P3, and was lucky enough to be able to borrow a Vulcan for a week. I really tried to hate the bike, and prove that the ride was all hocus pocus, and no different than the P3. It was by far the most comfortable, fast and efficient frame I've ridden. I opted to ride it in my Ironman over my P3 because of my comfort factor. Griffen's geometry is spot on for me, and if you have the chance to ride one, I highly recommend it. And if you need custom geometry or top tube, I'm pretty sure that they do that. Add all that to a lifetime warranty, and you've got a sweet deal. I am a little biased, though, cause I just bought one.

-"Bottom line, it's the Hunter, not the arrow. Ride what you want."

http://fulltriathlonracing.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I can only speak to the Vulcan. It is one stiff ride. I wouldn't recommend it if you ride a lot of rough pavement.

Cousin Elwood - Team Over-the-hill Racing
Brought to you by the good folks at Metamucil and Geritol...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Beam bike!!!!!!!!!
My Soft Ride TT7 is very comfortable, even with my SLR saddle. Others rave about their SR Classics and Titan Flex.
They're also very aero.

Take everything I say with a grain of salt. I know nothing.
Quote Reply
Re: you can only recommend one bike... [Titan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"Cerveloguy (I believe) did this to a TCR and had a good result."

This is true but I used a neutral set back post rather than a forward one. This put me at about 75/76 degree effective seat angle, about the same as a Cervelo Soloist with the seat post flipped forward. I tried a Profile forward post on the TCR and thought it affected the handling too much by putting me too far forward.
Quote Reply
Re: you can only recommend one bike... [slick] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i think cobb set her up on the griffen for wildflower when the cheetah was damaged in transit. not a bad endorsement for their bikes to have.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would look hard at Softrides...put them in your list of bikes to test.

----------------------------------------------------------

What if the Hokey Pokey is what it is all about?
Quote Reply
Re: you can only recommend one bike... [RSum716] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Felt
Quote Reply
Re: you can only recommend one bike... [KatyTX] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't know why I keep advocating for that damn Giant TCR Composite, as I don't even own one, but it seems to me to be the most flexible in terms of going tri or roadie on it. And I've heard nothing but good things about it, though I'd have to ruminate on that whole "too much weight over the headtube thing".

Tony
Quote Reply
Re: you can only recommend one bike... [big kahuna] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
LOL.

I have a TCR Comp (small) set-up for TT. IMO, it makes a nice slacker Tri/TT bike, but would definately be challenging with effective ST position over 78ish degrees. The general problem is that you (usually) fit one frame smaller than you would on a road bike.

I like the feel/handling of the bike, but Giant's sizing is stupid. Tom D put it nicely in a post when he said they need a "small and a 1/2" to fill to void left with the (questionable) medium sizing. Other other issue is that I look like I'm riding a BMX bike, but I guess that's a personal problem. I'd trade it in a second for a Look 486.
Quote Reply
Re: you can only recommend one bike... [slick] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
[reply]I second the Yaqui Carbo reccomendation.

Natasha rode her Cheetah in Hawaii last year. It was another IM or 1/2 IM race earlier in the year that she rode a Griffen.[/reply]

Thanks for clearing that up - I have a brutal memory for shit like that...

Anyway, if you're considering beam bikes, I'd take a good look at TitanFlex. I was deciding between a TF and a Yaqui before I ultimately went with Ves, and have yet to hear a negative thing about them. My main concern with TF was that I have some reservations about bikes with a huge "fit band" as well as all bikes that come in 3 sizes. My experience with Softride has taught me that just because you can make a bike fit you does not mean that it will handle anywhere near well. Tom Pizkin (Mr TitanFlex) is somewhere in the ballpark of 6', and designed both the 650 and 700c wheel sized bikes around his own geometry. This makes me question whether a TF will handle optimally for someone significantly shorter than 6'. It may very well handle like a dream, but handling is not a risk I wanted to take when dropping serious coin on a new race bike. With a custom Yaqui, optimal ride characteristics and superb handling is a given. Still, there are lots of TitanFlex owners out there and I'm still waiting to hear the 1st negative... I definitely prefer the design over Softride.

<If you're gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough>
Get Fitter!
Proud member of the Smartasscrew, MONSTER CLUB
Get your FIX today?
Quote Reply
Re: you can only recommend one bike... [Khai] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If I didn't go with Yaqui I would take a long look at Elite. They are great bikes and their customer service is unmatched. What other compant has mechanics at all major IM races to service their customers for free? Awesome!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A Walser.
Quote Reply