Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

xlab vs. hed tri-spoke
Quote | Reply
I hear a lot about the Hed tri spoke and see a lot of people using it as a front wheel setup. What about the xlab tri spoke? Anyone with any experience? I am doing IM Wisc this year and am thinking about running a tri spoke on front and wheel cover on back. I am 6'0 and 175 lbs, so I am thinking that crosswinds won't be an issue. Any thoughts are appreciated.
Quote Reply
Re: xlab vs. hed tri-spoke [waytooslow] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The Hed has a long track record and is wind-tunnel-proven. The x-lab has and is neither. I'd spend the extra few dollars and get the real thing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
my local tri shop has has problems with xlab. they got a wheel that had the carbon fiber on one side of one of the spokes bashed in. xlab was trying to avoid sending a good one. i don't know how it rides or anything, but it makes me question how they do business.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Any other opinions on xlab, I am interested as well?

http://www.swimmerben.blogspot.com
Team Aquaphor
Quote Reply
Re: xlab vs. hed tri-spoke [bptri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just thinking out loud. The X-lab 4-spoke looks like the Xentis so perhaps it has the same aero benefits? X-lab has a three and four spoke wheel, what are the prices compared to the Hed and Xentis? If the prices are fairly close, maybe you should consider the Xentis.

Dave in VA

BTW, are we all still waiting for Frank to give us a Renn front wheel? If he ever sells a front wheel I would bet that it will be extremely fast at a great value!
Quote Reply
Re: xlab vs. hed tri-spoke [DC Pattie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The Corima 4-spoke "looks" (at least a little bit) like the H3. However, the Corima is MUCH slower. MUCH slower. You can google and find results for both. Definitely don't buy into looks.

The wind doesn't care about "looks." :)

Of the carbon-spoked wheels, the H3 is far and away the fastest. Even moreso than the Mavic IO. I prefer regular spoked wheels, myself, but that is a different story...

"Non est ad astra mollis e terris via." - Seneca | rappstar.com | FB - Rappstar Racing | IG - @jordanrapp
Quote Reply
Re: xlab vs. hed tri-spoke [Rappstar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
True, true, but I'm not sure if the H3 is faster than the Xentis. I think there was a german wind tunnel test that showed the Xentis to be very fast.

Dave in VA
Last edited by: DC Pattie: Dec 30, 05 19:07
Quote Reply
Re: xlab vs. hed tri-spoke [DC Pattie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The test in Tour shows the Xentis to be fast in low yaw angles. It does not peform well as the yaw angle increases. You can download the test off Zipp's site. The Xentis is overrated, just like Kuota Kalibur. I will admit to buying into the Xentis hype after the first test, but subsuquent tests have shown it is not as good as it initially appeared.

"Non est ad astra mollis e terris via." - Seneca | rappstar.com | FB - Rappstar Racing | IG - @jordanrapp
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What kind of bike are you putting it on?
Style of frame dictates style of wheel.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I use a Renn disc and a trispoke. Fast, relatively inexpensive, and they stay true. I don't have a Xwind problem and I only weigh 145lbs. I do train with the combo on windy days though so that I am used to it. Remember, "Train like you fight and fight like you train"
Quote Reply
Re: xlab vs. hed tri-spoke [Rappstar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
funny, I rarely ever think anything I ride, wheels, aerobars, aero forks, aero helmets makes me feel much faster or slower

but when I borrowed a Corima 4-spoke to race on for a while I thought it seemed incredibly slow. Gotten my ass kicked by quite a few of them though;)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
What about the xlab tri spoke?
X Lab ounds like something you buy at GNC. HED 3 sounds like the good stuff from the streets. I think your choice should be clear if you want to go fast, get the real juice.

"When I first had the opportunity to compete in triathlon, it was the chicks and their skimpy race clothing that drew me in. Everyone was so welcoming and the lifestyle so obviously narcissistic. I fed off of that vain energy. To me it is what the sport is all about."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I hear a lot about the Hed tri spoke and see a lot of people using it as a front wheel setup. What about the xlab tri spoke? Anyone with any experience? I am doing IM Wisc this year and am thinking about running a tri spoke on front and wheel cover on back. I am 6'0 and 175 lbs, so I am thinking that crosswinds won't be an issue. Any thoughts are appreciated.

I paid a lot for my wheels and after a long discussion with the GM - I was hooked. I own an X-lab trispoke (+ 28 spoke X-Lab front) and have had no issues with the wheels, the service (airointernational.com), or the LBS I bought them from (Nytro). I think, as with everything else, one must do their own 'due diligence' prior to any significant purchase. Just because a few people own, have a complaint or two about a product, should not sway your opinion to the point of overall pessimism about the product.

I rode 52 miles today with my X-Lab set, including 4x up Torrey inside and out. In fact, the X-Labs get more ride time than the Zipps, Eastons, Kult Pro-Motions.

I'm 3 inches shorter and weigh 50 pounds more than you and the sight of me driving south on PCH and up TP on my Kestrel and my X-Labs - is frightening.

Get out of the way!

If those wheels can hold 225 pounds on a Kestrel Talon SL Carbon frame, I'm sold.

Go ahead and give Dave (GM) at Airo a call. Mention my name (Mike) if you wish. He doesn't work weekends; try after New Years.

Happy New Year,

- kd

kestrel driver

DonorsChoose.org (!!!)
bogolight.com (!!!)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Go for the Hed. It's got a great track record and I use it on the front all the time. Something else to consdier maybe the new Corima 3 spoke as it is light and their pedigree is pretty good if you like running tubs.
Quote Reply
Re: xlab vs. hed tri-spoke [Ze Gopha] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I ride a Cervelo P2K. I have had it for two years and am riding the wheels that came stock with it - Ritchey bladed spoke wheels.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
alltime fave wheel was the old Mavic 3G...anyone other than me have an opinion on that wheel? I currently run the Corima 4 spokes and love how smooth the hubs are but am being courted to ride Hed stuff next season. Haven't ridden their stuff since the days when they were still specialized.
Quote Reply
Re: xlab vs. hed tri-spoke [Kentiger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No major info so far apart from use HED as itsd tried and tested but its those that try new things that push forward the boundaries. I use a Xlab disc and spoked front but will hopefully be using the TriSpoke front when I race at IMSA (Ironman South Africa). I have not seena picture though of the hub which is my one concern so if anybody can provide this I'd appreciate it. I think that the actual width of the wheel at the hub is under appreciated...hence the HED is considered the most aero as it is a stright line profile (same width). Wonder if XLab is the same...if so must bemore aero as there is less air between the spokes...???

========================

My Homepage
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hmmm, Hed's usually look better on Cervelos, han xlab's.
Personally, I prefer deep dishes on them, though. Zipp 404's to be specific.

But, bewteen those two, I'd go Hed's in this case.
Quote Reply