Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

x-terra racing? Need opinions on new bike.
Quote | Reply
I am starting to get bored of doing tri's right now. I live in Farimount Park, PA and have access to some of the best, technical mountain riding in the country in my back yard. I basically stopped road riding and have been doing a lot of trail riding. Mainly since it is so much fun on my old school Trek mountain bike. Next season, I want to make a switch to X-terra racing as to take a break from the traditional road tri's.

What kind of bike should I be using for these kinds of races? I was thinking something with a killer front shock and a HARD TAIL. Of course it has to be light. Can anyone suggest a relativly in expesive performance racing mountain bike? Again, since it will be my first season so I do not want to go all out. Any suggestions on a solid performing bike?

Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: x-terra racing? Need opinions on new bike. [Graz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You live IN Fairmount Park??? I think you have bigger issues than which MTB to ride.

(Personally, I have a Kona)

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Xterras are awesome - you will have a lot of fun. I have a Kona hard tail (22lbs) as well, but it is a little more on the high end side. I used it in four Xterra races and WF mtb last year. I also have an older GT full suspension, (25lbs) which I wish was the bike I used at the Donner Xterra last year due to all of the rocks (very bumpy). The times between the two really are not that much different unless there are some long climbs and on bumby stuff I prefer the full suspension - starting to get older and it is easier on the joints. In any case, define your budget and test ride a few in that range (not sure what you meant by inexpensive). Maybe try to pick up a used one that was well maintained.
Quote Reply
x-terra racing? Need opinions on new bike. [Graz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Check out Felt's new line up of MTB/Xterra bikes. You should be able to get your hands on one in about a month. They've been raced by USA and
European champion, Jamie Whitmore (see ‘Triathlete’ magazine, July edition). and the Felt EPO and specs can be found on our German site www.felt.de. I think a $1500 version would fit the bill for racing.

Good Luck, enjoy your new sport.

-SD

https://www.kickstarter.com/...bike-for-the-new-era
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you are doing a lot of climbing you may want to go hardtail but if it is technical you want to go full suspension. I really like my full.

Santa Cruz and Turner are two great bikes.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Get a Moots YBB softail...Less than 23 pounds with XT or SRAM, a lifetime guarantee, built by Americans who are paid a living wage in beautiful Steamboat Springs, CO...

If you've got the coin, it's the nicest Ti ride on the planet.

http://wattieink.com/elite-team/
Raising funds to help wounded veterans and racing RAAM 2013 with http://team4mil.org/
"If you are gonna charge... CHARGE HARD!"
Quote Reply
Re: x-terra racing? Need opinions on new bike. [Fast&Crooked] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was discussing hard tail/soft tail with a colleague who has been racing on the pro MTB circuit for a few years. He is, of course, a big fan of hard tails (raced for Sycip), but also said that a lot of the new full suspension bikes can really climb - but are still too heavy, not to mention too much $$

Another colleague has a Santa Cruz superlight, loves it.
Quote Reply
Re: x-terra racing? Need opinions on new bike. [Fast&Crooked] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If budget is not an issue, go with a fully, especially for Penn riding. You can climb just as well or better with the latest full suspension bikes, but it costs money. I have Fox ProPedal rear shock (less pedal bob) and a F100 fork with Terralogic (no brake dive, no bob.)

Then again, I've ridden over dozen different XTERRA bike courses with a rigid (Softride stem and sometimes a suspension seatpost) -- it's not that bad and I usually finish well -- but there's less margin for error in the rough stuff. :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I do Xterras and Mountain Bike Racing on the side of regular tris. I'm riding last year model of the Specialized Epic Disk.

I don't know if you know anything about the Specialized Epic but it is freakin' awesome. It is a hardtail AND a soft tail at the same time. Check out www.it-knows.com

The top line one for this year is really expensive but if you do your research and some hunting, you can find one for a good price. I got mine for 1,500 brand new last year. (Fox Float 80 RL Fork, Full XTR, Hydrolic Disc Breaks, and one hell of a good time.)

I also live in Pa. and know you're type of riding.
Last edited by: bigd: Aug 4, 04 9:13
Quote Reply
Re: x-terra racing? Need opinions on new bike. [bigd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
PA. guys , dont forget Mt Gretna Off Road Triathlon - an XTERRA point series race this Sunday!

Registration is still open.

Brad

bkurtz@eventimpact.com
Quote Reply
Re: x-terra racing? Need opinions on new bike. [puskas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nice taste but not really entry level :) IMO I would not buy a hard tail. I am not sure what MTB is like in PA but in CO I couldn't imagine it although there are a few people who do but they are very much a minority. There has been great strides in rear suspension and they don't bounce nearly as much and are adjustable. I ride a Gary Fisher Sugar and love it. I would see if some of your shops will let you demo one or go to a local resort where MTB is big and rent some bikes to see what you like.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I love, love, love my Santa Cruz. I have the female version of the superlight. The rear shock locks out. I pass people on the climbs who are riding hardtails all the time.
Quote Reply
Re: x-terra racing? Need opinions on new bike. [Cyborg42] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I love, love, love my Santa Cruz. I have the female version of the superlight. The rear shock locks out. I pass people on the climbs who are riding hardtails all the time.
I pass full-suspension riders on climbs all the time with my rigid singlespeed. :)
Quote Reply
Re: x-terra racing? Need opinions on new bike. [Todd Scott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah, well, it's not about the bike is it?
Quote Reply
Re: x-terra racing? Need opinions on new bike. [Cyborg42] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It helps when you're an x-terra National champion.It is about the rider.
Quote Reply
Re: x-terra racing? Need opinions on new bike. [Cullen Watkins] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yup, my point exactly.
Quote Reply