Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

www.atkinssucks.com
Quote | Reply
ok i've been on the atkins diet for 2 days. it is nasty. i mean oh my god this is gross. i feel greasy. before this i was already fat and out of shape. now i'm fat, weak and greasy.

the energy level is about the same, none. i know i haven't given it a real shot but i'm craving fruits and veggies not for the carbs but for the fiber. just to start scraping out my cardio system.

oooook!

customerjon @gmail.com is where information happens.
Quote Reply
Re: www.atkinssucks.com [customerjon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
customerjon,

Let me give my own testimonial about weight loss and diets. About ten years ago, after not doing any real activity (cutting out cycling and ice hockey), being in a horrendous relationship with the former Mrs. bunnyman (who was something like a ball python or a rottweiler), and being plain lazy, I did something about it.

What did bunnyman do? I tried many stupid diets, including Atkins (yes, it was being touted as the "new thing" even though it was thirty years old then). I had found that diets did not work. Then it came to me: if you wanna be skinny like a kid, play like a kid!

What did I do? I became a bit obsessive about the fat grams, I cut out the excess starch (like french fries), ate only chicken and fish, and rode my bike like I thoroughly enjoyed in my youth. Eighty-five pounds came off in just about a year, and another fifteen came from divorcing my first wife and going vegetarian.

I am not as svelte as I was five years ago, but I am not an obese dude, even still. I just can't climb a hill quite like I used to, but a few more hours a week in the saddle would do it.

What am I saying? Just take a sensible plan and follow through. Why do I despise Atkins? Because your brain needs sugar to work properly, as well as protein burn makes you stink. So, do you wanna be a stinky, cranky guy?

Good luck to you. I know it ain't gonna be easy, but you will be a very happy man with your results.

Best Wishes,

Doug, aka bunnyman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm not racing this year, so I could afford to try to live for a while without carbs. Gained about 10 pounds since Ironman last year. In April I dediced to try the philosophy (but not the diet) behind the Atkins program. I was barely training at all at the time. Went to a nearly zero carb diet. In two weeks, I dropped 10 pounds, from 150 to 140lbs. Was the easiest thing I've ever done! Wasn't hungry, tired, queasy, mean, nothing. Worked great for those two weeks.

When the scale said what I wanted it to, I went back to normal eating, and started training again.

The one thing I did notice negative: One day I went for an easy hour's run - and had to walk the second half. Simply had no juice. Shut down just like a regular bonk, just happened after only 30 minutes.

Just my $.32

Don't try this if you're training.

--------------
Elivis needs boats.
Quote Reply
www.atkinssucks4me.com, www.atkinsaint4everyone.com [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jon,

Glad you tried it, guess it just isn't for you. Did you start with your wife and how's she doing? Perhaps you'll keep us posted on her progress?

Good luck on your future weight loss and fitness efforts.

Sean
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Look at Atkin's protein bars if you want to stay on Atkins and get the fiber up. I don't do Atkins, but I do like one of these every now and again. Not bad, but don't try to live on them. Here is a link to their nutritional information --

http://www13.netrition.com/atkins_bars_page.html

matt

"When I cleaned up my diction, I had nothing left to say" -- Van Morrison
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yea, I remember feeling like total crap for a couple days to start with. Mostly I felt run-down, not tired, but not energized. That passed in about a week or so. After about the 2nd week I was feeling better than ever, lots of energy. I rarely have cravings for anything sweet (I have to water down Crystal Light 2:1).

I'm now on month 5, I'm down 30+lbs (started at 265, now in the low 230's...I'm 6'1"), but more importantly my waist line is 4" slimmer than it was when I started (it was probably a little more than that as the bigger pants were getting a little tight). I exercise around 5 times a week, a mix between running/walking, cycling, swiming and racquetball. All of which I do for 60-90 minutes during the week, and a couple hours each day on the weekend, and still have plenty of energy to go out and enjoy life.

Give it a week or two before changing your mind.

Andrew
Quote Reply
Re: www.atkinssucks.com [Ajay213] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sounds like me. Once you get past week two things go pretty smoothly.

Glad to hear from a fellow person who's had success using this regimen to achieve some weight loss to improve their health and fitness goals.

Out of curiosity, have you had any blood work done to see exactly how you're doing? If not, I think you'll be pleasantly surprised when you do.

Sean
Quote Reply
Re: www.atkinssucks.com [haystack] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I had it done a few weeks ago, I don't have the exact numbers in front of me. But I have had a pretty nice drop in BP, from the point that the Dr. was thinkin about prescribing meds to lower it to a point where he's happy and that's no longer an issue. My cholesterol levels were never all that high, but they have dropped as well.

Overall I'm quite happy with the way things are going, I'm very happy with the way I feel. My hunger levels have gone down a huge amount, my "addiction" to "bad" foods is gone for the most part (I still enjoy them, but I don't have those cravings anymore), and generally I just feel great.

Andrew
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Have you read the nutrition articles in the "Gordo Tips" section at gordoworld.com? If you haven't, check it out. I think this is some of the most sensible advice I have read on nutrition for the triathlete.

A few years ago I was about 25 to 30 pounds overweight. Now I'm 55 years old and am at about 6% body fat. Here are some other ideas I used to get into shape:

Just forget about that pizza and beer thing.

Before you eat anything that comes in a package, read the nutrition information on the label. If it's calories are coming mainly from fat or sugar maybe it's not a good choice.

Stop eating late in the evening (last food at least 2 hours before bedtime).

Eat a real breakfast every day. (I eat oatmeal, blueberries, and an egg- white omlet with some cooked chopped tomatos and some flax oil on it.)

Stop eating at McDonalds, Burger King etc. If you just have to eat at fast food try something like Wendy's Mandarin Chicken Salad with a plain baked potato and catsup,and go easy on the salad dressing. At Burger King try the Veggie burger, no cheese, with only catsup, mustard, extra lettuce and tomato.

Think about giving up dairy products, or if you do continue to eat them go to fat free dairy. 2% milk is 30% fat by calories. Look at the nutrition label and calculate the total calories per serving and how many calories of that are from fat.

If you eat red meat think about giving it up. It's hard to get red meat to be under 50% fat and it's not the kind of fat you want to be eating.

Limit your fat intake to healthier fats like extravirgin olive oil, flax oil, nut and seed oils or fish oil. About 15 to 20% of your calories per day.

Try and eat more whole grain or complex carbs and limit the amount of simple carbs.

Six smaller meals are better than 3 big ones.

Always carry a healthy snack and a water bottle with you when you leave the house.

If you lose weight slowly as a result of small changes in your lifestyle and eating habits, it will tend to stay off.

Try making a one or two small, changes in your eating habits at a time. After a couple of weeks they will be part of your lifestyle, not a "diet your on".

I don't mean to imply that "diets" like Atkins don't work for weight loss, but I think there are other ways to eat that will result in a healthier you in 10 or 20 years.

I hope some of these ideas help you.

You can do it!

Richard
Last edited by: R Isgrigg: Aug 18, 03 21:08
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
like these guys, sidvicious knows how to lose weight. exercise is a must in the plan. thus, you can do any eating plan and exercise and lose weight effectively. just pick a plan and stick with it; they all work if followed.

learn how to recognize "loss" plans from "maintainance" plans.

it is wise not to train and eat for fat loss at the same time. exercise and dieting isn't synonymous with training and dieting. example: pasta is a great meal for training. however, it'll make one fat as a hog without significant physical efforts like one encounters in training and racing.

cheers,
sv-
Quote Reply