Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
wrenching: destroyed rear rim, frame has track style "dropouts" so no derailleur hanger, and I can't buy new rim
Quote | Reply
(edit: added drive-side picture as that is more relevant)
(edit2: added tire size, and that I'm based in Europe)

(While it's my commuter bike - though I did my first ever triathlon on it! - I need help with, hope it's not too off topic - as this is the only "bike" forum I hang out on, and many people here are quite versed in bike wrenching solutions my LBS doesn't know (e.g.: rear derailleur extenders instead of replacing the whole RD), so I hope it's OK to ask. Anyway....)

The rear wheel has a Shimano 8 speed internal hub with holes for 28 spokes. I destroyed the old rim, and the two LBS I asked can't source (*) a double walled rim for it (20" diameter, 47x406 tire, dahon bullhead ~2011 folding bike). I am based in Europe (Hungary). The frame has horizontal track/singlespeed style "dropouts", and as far as I can tell it doesn't have a place for a derailleur hanger (see pic). It used to be the kindergarten commute bike, i.e.: child seat + child = "lot" of weight on the back. The rear frame has space for 130mm, so at least that is standard.

Can I get this bike to ride again? I would be OK converting it to an N speed cassette/freewheel on the back, but is there an RD hanger adapter for such frames? Or are single wall rims OK for such small wheels with significant load? I would rather not turn this into a singlespeed bike...

drive side:

non-drive side:

(*) so far we have tried general bike distributors, country brand distributor, BMX store, and a recumbent bike store
Last edited by: bableves: Apr 24, 19 13:17
Quote Reply
Re: wrenching: destroyed rear rim, frame has track style "dropouts" so no derailleur hanger, and I can't buy new rim [bableves] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You can buy a device that goes on the quick-release or axle that has a threaded hole for the derailleur. You need to manage the shifting cable somehow without stops so perhaps running at continuously right up to the shifter and using zip ties or purchase self-adhesive attachments that are used for hydraulic lines on mountain bikes and then zip tie the housing on to those. You could then purchase a regular 7 speed dahon rear wheel and some junky derailleur and shifter for not much money.
Quote Reply
Re: wrenching: destroyed rear rim, frame has track style "dropouts" so no derailleur hanger, and I can't buy new rim [jroden] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: wrenching: destroyed rear rim, frame has track style "dropouts" so no derailleur hanger, and I can't buy new rim [jroden] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sadly, the link is about a forward facing dropout, while mine is rear facing. But now I know bicycles.stackexchange.com exists, thanks!

(edit): hmm, but maybe if I just take the hanger and flip it, and drive the screw from the wheel side into the RD, it should work just as well... or search for a similar hanger, but one which accepts not 10mm, but only 8 or 9 and then have someone 'cut' a new 10mm thread into it..
Last edited by: bableves: Apr 24, 19 6:12
Quote Reply
Re: wrenching: destroyed rear rim, frame has track style "dropouts" so no derailleur hanger, and I can't buy new rim [bableves] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I once saw a fixie converted to a geared bike with an old school axle-mount derailleur.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
this solution requires re-adjusting the RD any time the wheel is taken out, right?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
bableves wrote:
this solution requires re-adjusting the RD any time the wheel is taken out, right?

Probably, I didn't say it was a good solution. In the old days that bolt head would thread into the dropout to hold it in place when the wheel was removed. It doesn't look like your drop-out has the space to drill and tap a hole there.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Couple questions:
* What's the bead seat diameter on the rim?
* What locknut spacing is the frame made to accept?

---------------------------------------------------------------------
Some are born to move the world to live their fantasies...

https://triomultisport.com/
http://www.mjolnircycles.com/
Quote Reply
Re: wrenching: destroyed rear rim, frame has track style "dropouts" so no derailleur hanger, and I can't buy new rim [Thom] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thom, the style of RD (hanger) you posted is solid once installed, doesn't require any re-adjustments, as the screw holds it firmly in pace. I was trying to reply to jroden's comment about the axle-through hanger, which as I understood that to be fixed by the axle itself
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What happened to the rim?

Strava
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
bableves wrote:
Thom, the style of RD (hanger) you posted is solid once installed, doesn't require any re-adjustments, as the screw holds it firmly in pace.

True but I don't think you have a place to thread that screw into.
Quote Reply
Re: wrenching: destroyed rear rim, frame has track style "dropouts" so no derailleur hanger, and I can't buy new rim [Thom] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Any bike shop can get you a rim, that is not a rare thing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just take it to your local bike shop and say "I was just riding along when..." and let them deal with it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Buy a new rim. Simple.
Quote Reply
Re: wrenching: destroyed rear rim, frame has track style "dropouts" so no derailleur hanger, and I can't buy new rim [lyrrad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lyrrad wrote:

I'm with this answer. A 20" double walled 28 hole rim is a really common BMX rim. You might have to get new spokes because it's doubtful the ERD would be an exact match, but that's not adding too much more to the cost.
Quote Reply
Re: wrenching: destroyed rear rim, frame has track style "dropouts" so no derailleur hanger, and I can't buy new rim [dangle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
another vote for 28 hole BMX rim. While 36 is more standard, 28's can be found. I have found many bike shops less than helpful with any request outside their direct line of experience. I saw this as a former bike shop employee...

Links below to a couple rims I found:
https://answerbmx.com/...ims/expert-rims-28h/
https://www.ebay.com/...3.l4275.c10#viTabs_0

Next thing you want to do is take that rim to a wheel builder that has a spoke cutting/threading machine. They can build it up with straight gauge spokes cut and threaded to length since this wheel will need some weird spoke lengths based on the hub flanges mixed with a 20" rim. That is typically easier and cheaper than having the shop order in 2 boxes of odd ball sized spokes.
Quote Reply
Re: wrenching: destroyed rear rim, frame has track style "dropouts" so no derailleur hanger, and I can't buy new rim [CyclingClyde] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Agreed on the spoke cutter. I wasn't sure if that rabbit hole was worth mentioning quite yet if sourcing a rim was already difficult.
Quote Reply
Re: wrenching: destroyed rear rim, frame has track style "dropouts" so no derailleur hanger, and I can't buy new rim [dangle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dangle wrote:
lyrrad wrote:

I'm with this answer. A 20" double walled 28 hole rim is a really common BMX rim. You might have to get new spokes because it's doubtful the ERD would be an exact match, but that's not adding too much more to the cost.

Which is why I asked about the BSD of the rim. I found 2 each double wall rims in 28-hole for the 451 and 406 sizes (both are considered 20"). And that's just through JBI. I'm sure the Euro suppliers would have similar selections.

---------------------------------------------------------------------
Some are born to move the world to live their fantasies...

https://triomultisport.com/
http://www.mjolnircycles.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What country are you in, and what is the ISO size of your tire? There's more than one 20" standard.

Options:
Sun-Ringle CR-18

Velocity A23

Promax RMV

Sun-Ringle ICI-1

Sun-Ringle Duroc

Buy the rim, buy the spokes, take the old wheel, new rim, new spokes to your LBS that seems incapable of doing a Google search and tell them to build you a new wheel.

Your favorite mafia sucks.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was just thinking that it might be easier to just buy a complete new wheel.
Quote Reply
Re: wrenching: destroyed rear rim, frame has track style "dropouts" so no derailleur hanger, and I can't buy new rim [brider] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
brider wrote:
dangle wrote:
lyrrad wrote:

Which is why I asked about the BSD of the rim. I found 2 each double wall rims in 28-hole for the 451 and 406 sizes (both are considered 20"). And that's just through JBI. I'm sure the Euro suppliers would have similar selections.

Yeah, 20" is a bit of a generic nomenclature for a bicycle rim. We don't know the whole story, but going after spoke cutting/threading and BSD seems like a pretty big step past the shop-in-question looking for a rim at all. Even if the OP couldn't get the identical BSD rim, adding a tire to the mix to salvage an entire bike shouldn't be a big deal. I'm not sure if most people would notice the difference riding slightly mismatched tires if it came to that point.
Quote Reply
Re: wrenching: destroyed rear rim, frame has track style "dropouts" so no derailleur hanger, and I can't buy new rim [brider] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
brider wrote:
dangle wrote:
lyrrad wrote:

The tire will most likely have the BSD on it. Tires normally have the metric sizing as part of the sidewall, often next to the nominal sizing, other times somewhere else on the sidewall. In this case, this 20x1.95 tire is 50-406:

"I'm thinking of a number between 1 and 10, and I don't know why!"
Quote Reply
Re: wrenching: destroyed rear rim, frame has track style "dropouts" so no derailleur hanger, and I can't buy new rim [gmh39] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I thought it needed truing (only noticed break rubbing a bit during the commute), but alas not. I guess it was probably fatigue responding to a pothole (7 years, 10-20thousand kms, including touring)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
yeah, that's where I started, but they couldn't get one from the distributors, and two specialty stores (BMX and recumbent) and the country's Dahon (brand) distributor.
Quote Reply
Re: wrenching: destroyed rear rim, frame has track style "dropouts" so no derailleur hanger, and I can't buy new rim [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Buying with the 8 speed internal gear hub (shimano nexus) it might be a tad more expensive than I would like - especially that the current hub is working just fine
Quote Reply

Prev Next