Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

would you prefer matte or glossy carbon wheels
Quote | Reply
Would love to get your feedback on wheels.

Disc/ Tri spoke coming soon
50 mm disc brake clincher

Would you prefer matte finish or glossy finish on carbon wheels? UD finish

What about alloy wheels?

Please leave a comment

Joshua
Quote Reply
Re: would you prefer matte or glossy carbon wheels [culpritbicycles] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Depends on the rest of your components. Matte with matte. Gloss with gloss. My bikes are all Campy with lots of glossy carbon, so I run glossy Boras.
Quote Reply
Re: would you prefer matte or glossy carbon wheels [wintershade] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
^This, whatever matches the bike :p
Quote Reply
Re: would you prefer matte or glossy carbon wheels [culpritbicycles] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Agree with the feedback that ultimately it should match the bike so assuming that the bike is matte, which is should be because matte is the better look, matte.
Quote Reply
Re: would you prefer matte or glossy carbon wheels [karmatraining] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I like the look if matte. But keeping clean I prefer glossy. Our new gravel frame will only come in glossy finish.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a Speed Concept in a matte finish. It looks great but it’s very difficult to keep clean. Glossy is the way to go for practicality.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
culpritbicycles wrote:

What about alloy wheels?

Please leave a comment

Joshua

Re: glossy or matte, I would do whichever is easier and/or lower cost to manufacture and results in less waste during manufacture and QC. Then, to make everyone happy, if the wheels are black matte, make large black logo decals that are black gloss. If the wheels are black gloss, make large black logo decals that are black matte. This way, you can very understated black wheels where the logo is still visible. Heck, you can go wild and even make black reflective decals (that is what I use, I had some black gloss custom decals made from my matte wheels, and the black is super reflective in the dark, with a light source of course).

By the way, it would be cool if someone would make a much deeper (and more aero) rim/wheel exclusively for rear wheel use for races or events where a rear disc is not allowed or is for other reasons not practical. Kind of like a wheel like the zipp 1080 (since discontinued). Say, so somebody can use a 80-90 mm deep wheel for the front, and a 100mm (or deeper) wheel for the rear. I don't think anybody makes a wheel like this anymore ...

Advanced Aero TopTube Storage for Road, Gravel, & Tri...ZeroSlip & Direct-mount, made in the USA.
DarkSpeedWorks.com.....Reviews.....Insta.....Facebook

--
Last edited by: DarkSpeedWorks: Jun 7, 18 9:31
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
culpritbicycles wrote:

I much prefer the gloss. Matt looks too much like cheap plastic. Plus if I'm not mistaken, clear gloss finish is typically a harder coating.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I’d vote for glossy

Matt
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Whichever is faster.

Once, I was fast. But I got over it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Matt/satin for me. I find gloss clearcoat on CFRP looks a little dated.

Developing aero, fit and other fun stuff at Red is Faster
Quote Reply
Re: would you prefer matte or glossy carbon wheels [SkippyKitten] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
For me, Matte with a cabon fiber pattern visible.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What about the stem? :(
Quote Reply
Re: would you prefer matte or glossy carbon wheels [DarkSpeedWorks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DarkSpeedWorks wrote:
By the way, it would be cool if someone would make a much deeper (and more aero) rim/wheel exclusively for rear wheel use for races or events where a rear disc is not allowed or is for other reasons not practical. Kind of like a wheel like the zipp 1080 (since discontinued). Say, so somebody can use a 80-90 mm deep wheel for the front, and a 100mm (or deeper) wheel for the rear. I don't think anybody makes a wheel like this anymore ...

It is hard to tell where they currently sit businesswise, but before their lastest bankruptcy Edco was offering the Chronosport Simplon wheelset. Paul Lew rim cross edition similar to the latest Reynolds offerings, 105mm deep, carbon clincher, 17mm internal rim width and tubeless compatible. Edco’s Swiss site is back online with limited content. They still seem to be working with Ventum. Not sure if they are just selling NOS or actually are producimg product again.
Quote Reply
Re: would you prefer matte or glossy carbon wheels [EnderWiggan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sorry for late reply. Long race weekend with alot of travel involved...

Stem is still under development. Was working with a new supplier who specializes in magnesium as original design can't move forward as tooling costs too much and not enough demand to justify plastic injection molds.

So, went full CNC version in alloys. If 6061 its 480 grams for 110 mm stem with open cable access . We may end up going that route first if we can't get the 300 gram 110 mm magnesium one to pass.

On our 3rd version in magnesium. Waiting on the next one then test again.

Stem has alot of stress on it so passing safety protocol is our first priority. So until we have a safe and EN tested/ approved product we won't release it for pre sale.

I hope to show some stuff to Dan in July if I can during my next California trip, if not definitely to Jordan as he lives near my family and we will go out for a ride.
Quote Reply