Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
would this make you nervous in a group ride?
Quote | Reply
Went to a club group ride today and saw a guy with a kick stand on his bike. It's not the type where it's near the bottom bracket. This one bolts on to the chain stay on the non drive side. Every time I get stuck behind this rider I keep thinking that if there is a crash or a pile up that kick stand is going to harpoon someone. Am I just being overly paranoid? Would you ride behind this person? Would I be out of place to request this rider to remove it if he want to continue to ride with the club?

Quote Reply
Re: would this make you nervous in a group ride? [gsxrawd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How many times on average do you crash per ride?

In all seriousness if it makes you feel uncomfortable tell him. Besides the fact that it is unnecessary it is not particularly safe, although it does not extend past the rear wheel so it is somewhat protected from hitting other people/things.

On a side note you might want to tell him that the hand pump he has and the assortment of gadgets on his handlebars are unnecessary as well (if that is actually a picture of him).
Last edited by: pequa tri: Nov 8, 08 14:42
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well, he looks like he would be good to draft off of - even if he was hammering down in the drops, he would be pretty high! ;)

I'd just blow him off at the first hill/chance and not look back. To many Freds out there in large group rides. That has to be the largest rearview mirror I have ever seen. Probably needs the kickstand since all that crap would get damaged/fall off if he laid the bike down or leaned it up against someting ...

Quote | Reply
I would rather ride behind him than ride behind the person taking photos while riding...

Oh, oops, that's you. ;-)

"your horse is too high" - tigerchik
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It would make me a little nervous, I would just not ride behind him. It makes you that nervous to post here...I would probably tell him that it makes you uncomfortable.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nah...in a pile up with forward momentum the odds of you getting hurt by the mirror outweigh the kickstand ;)

I miss you "Sports Night"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I learn/see something new on ST all the time. Love ST for this sort of thing. :)

I can safely say that in 25 years of riding in groups, I have never seen this. Consequently, I am not sure what I would do. Steer well away and stay as far away as possible, would be my first reaction. Not sure if that is the right reaction one or not! Just being honest!

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
good god...huge mirror, kickstand, pie plate, spoke reflectors, lights, sky stem, bento box, seat bag, frame pump, today's newspaper/atlas of the world clipped to the bars, some weird thing between the seat bag and rear light, enormous cadence sensor...why the hell would you be behind this guy and his 18 tons of crap anyway?

Forget speedwork. Speedwork is the icing on the cake and you don't have a cake yet. - MattinSF

Basically they have 9 tenants, live life to the fullest, do not turn the cheak, and embrace the 7 deadly since. - TheForge (on satanists)
Quote Reply
Re: would this make you nervous in a group ride? [Lazy Ben] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
His seat is too high to. I had to be the 1st to say it :P
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No. What makes me nervous on group rides is people that get nervous with this sort of thing.

You are part of a league of morons. Oh, yes. You see you're one of the morons I've been fighting my whole life. But guess what. Today, I win.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Damn it man - all I can say is you are on the wrong group rides or your tripping on acid.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I wouldn't be nervous about the kickstand harpooning me in a crash...I'd be nervous about it getting caught in the guys spokes and causing a crash

blood, sweat...and big gears

I hated every minute of training, but I said, ''Don't quit. Suffer now and live the rest of your life as a champion.''
- Muhammad Ali
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'd tell him politely that if he intends to continue riding with the pack that thing posses a serious threat. Think of the regulations that require bar end caps, this is way worst.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You mean that is not where we clamp our kickstands with extra torque on our carbon frames?

Owner of a few Speed Concepts since 2011.
Quote Reply
Re: would this make you nervous in a group ride? [rroof] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Well, he looks like he would be good to draft off of - even if he was hammering down in the drops, he would be pretty high! ;)

I'd just blow him off at the first hill/chance and not look back. To many Freds out there in large group rides. That has to be the largest rearview mirror I have ever seen. Probably needs the kickstand since all that crap would get damaged/fall off if he laid the bike down or leaned it up against someting ...
Based off of this riders setup (cue sheet holder, gearing, rear view mirror, kick stand, etc..) I would bet he is a randoneur rider. In which case, there is a good chance he logs 10,000+ miles per year, can handle his bike just fine and can smoke all of your asses on 600km+ ride. Not quite the dangerous "Fred" you may have in mind..
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm not sure why this is even an issue...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'd be more nervous about that big mirror. One little crack from a piece of flipped up road debris or that front wheel reflector and BOOM!...for the next seven years, he's pretty much screwed.
Quote Reply
Re: would this make you nervous in a group ride? [DocVijay] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
At this point - there is no reason to HTFU and freaking ride. Who gives a shit what folks have on their bikes? These people have nothing better to do that bitch.

----------------------------------------------------------

What if the Hokey Pokey is what it is all about?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Was this a coast to coast ride? I think I had less stuff when I did kokopelli by myself. Seriously though I do take a lot of crap when I do long rides, especially in the winter. Dont wanna get stranded somewhere, I've had too many flats and bad blow outs but I always ride by myself.

'STICK EM UP PUNK ITS THE FUN LOVING CRIMINAL'
Quote Reply
Post deleted by Administrator [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tell that guy that his seat is too high.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It depends upon the group riding.
many groups keep anyone with aero bars at the back (not entirely logical but they don't make the aerobar rider pull the whole time so his pointy end is not aimed at anyone) unless the take them off.
I can see the same thing for the kickstand if the are riding with a fast group.

Run like you stole something
Formerly Fueled by ZYM
Quote Reply
Re: would this make you nervous in a group ride? [Pedalsaurus_Tex] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Right ... plenty of ultra riders on my team. One who has done Paris-Brest-Paris 3 times (no mirror wither) ;)

And how exactly is that kickstand helpful for the randoneur? Like I said, he might be great to draft off of for 100 miles - maybe not. We certainly don't know what ride this was or the circumstances. I've still never seen a mirror like that though on anything without a combustion engine :)

Re: would this make you nervous in a group ride? [rroof] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
is making you nervous or annoyed that it appears you cannot drop this guy and all his 'options"
while you are on your cervelo?

that said I know a woman who stared in her mirror so often 3 TIMES, YES 3 TIMES she t-boned either a mailbox or car cause she was looking behind her
Quote Reply
Re: would this make you nervous in a group ride? [Triwrench] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
???

Prev Next