Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

workouts to improve Vlamax in running
Quote | Reply
Hi All,

apparently the holy grail for endurance exercise performance is a low Vlamax.....Slow twitch muscles don't consume a lot of carbs and produce less lactate compared to fast twitch muscles, so they say. People with a lot of fast twitch muscles should re-train these muscles to become more slow twitch like.....It is touted that on the bike a lot of high torque, low cadence at sweet spot intensity leads to lowering Vlamax. In swimming I was told to swim with paddles to again increase my "torque"....But what about the run, are there workouts that would specifically target the Vlamax?

I have read a report from a guy who focused on Vlamax for 6 month exclusively and apparently improved a lot across the board....I am also more a sprinter/muscular type guy and could eventually benefit from a low Vlamax.....

Or is all this just nonsense?

Thanks.
Uli
Quote Reply
Re: workouts to improve Vlamax in running [uw234] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The only holy grail in triathlon is consistency.

Vlamax is important but so is VO2.
You’re Vlamax plummets if you go on Keto but we all know that’s not the answer for most. If you are looking to have endurance and go fast then it’s a combination of both.

Iam muscular as well and yes you will need to switch much of your muscle fibres to slowtwitch but it’s important to still keep your V02 max somewhat high. 80% of the time should be easier to low intensity but 20% should be high effort especially if you already have strength you want to hold onto.

If you want to lower your Vlamax another option is going some fasted workouts. It will improve your bodies ability to utilize fat as energy but fuelled workouts are very important as well so don’t focus too much on one thing.
Quote Reply
Re: workouts to improve Vlamax in running [uw234] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I worked with a coach several years ago who had me put several treadmill walking sessions in over a winter and it continued through late spring. Sessions at 8-10% incline really powering off of the back leg. In hindsight now that vlamax has gained popularity I assumed this is what it was for. I'll say I did get faster and quite a bit stronger. I'll also say I was training more than 20 hours/wk so I was putting in fair run/bike mileage at the same time. I wouldn't personally know what to drop out of the program if coaching myself.
Quote Reply