Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

workouts post upper respiratory virus
Quote | Reply
17 days out from the onset of respiratory virus. Yesterday I felt pretty good so swam with my masters group for first time since. We did about 2200 meters, mostly of drills and short intervals. Nothing too strenuous. I was trashed afterwards and still am today. Usually I'm back after 2 weeks tops. Anyone else had this experience with this crud that's going around?
Quote Reply
Re: workouts post upper respiratory virus [squid] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I spent a week just doing very easy and short running. Felt good by the end of the week, ready to go for a long run that Friday. Of course... That's when I had angina resulting in bypass surgery so....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have been fortunate to not have anything this year ... knock on wood or whatever else might bring good juju :-) I deal with upper repiratory issues most anytime I get a "cold." It seems that it never follows the same timeline, but I have learned to be very conservative in getting back to SBR, and to make certain my lungs are good and clear before I start. The times I push hard to soon, it seems to come back with a vengance.

My 2 cents ... Listen to your body, make sure to allow extra for recovery, and don't push to hard to soon! Good luck!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Perhaps too late for the OP, but if anyone else is interested or for future consideration. N-acetylcysteine (plenty of research articles with a web search)

I had a respiratory virus in the last week of December. I rested the first week and did the usual things. I was also using an expectorant like Mucinex to help alleviate congestion when a friend that owns a chain of supplement stores suggested taking NAC. The guy has always given me legit advice in the past and is not one to push or preach about things so I bought a bottle. Immediately started feeling relief to the point that it seemed more effective in clearing my lungs than the Mucinex. He advised me to take 4 a day (2 in the morning and 2 in the evening) until I was over the illness and then go to the dosage on the bottle. For me it really worked. I am keeping that stuff in stock. Here is the one I used from Jarrow.

I still took it easy in terms of training, but once my lungs started clearing up I was on the bike with a slow ramp up starting at a steady 60+ minute light spin no higher than L2. From there I started ramping up which served to help me recover and start regaining lost fitness.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/...articles/PMC2706612/

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/...articles/PMC6250560/
Quote Reply