Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

will i get an aero penalty? (canyon speedmax with BTA)
Quote | Reply
So, I have a Speedmax like this one on the photo:

After a year, I realized that it will more convenient for me to have an ordinary BTA bottle instead of this front hydration system, so I am thinking of removing the hole thing (marked on photo) and install BTA. I would like to keep the box behind to store bars etc...
With an eyeball aero test I would say that I will get more drag than with the hydr sys on its place since the air will go directly to the flat surface of bento box. Am I wrong?
Quote Reply
Re: will i get an aero penalty? (canyon speedmax with BTA) [bojan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
From the testing I did, which was removing BOTH the bottle and bento box, it was 2W faster WITH them installed at 0*, and at -7.5 it was the same.

The "eyeball" test doesn't look all that great with just the bento there, as the bottle mounts up to it perfectly. Like you said then the wind would just run right into the bento, unless you aren't running much stack, then maybe the BTA would shield the bento minimally?

-Brad Williams
Website | Twitter: @BW_Tri |Instagram: @BW_Tri | Strava | Co-Founder & Coach at: KIS Coaching
Partnered with: Zoot Sports | Precision Fuel &Hydration | ISM
Quote Reply
Re: will i get an aero penalty? (canyon speedmax with BTA) [@BW_Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks. I will leave it there than. Have you maybe tested difference between one and two behind the seat bottle(s) when single bottle holder is the Canyon original mount?

Is this slower (common sense says it is :))

than this:

Quote Reply
Re: will i get an aero penalty? (canyon speedmax with BTA) [bojan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I’m also an SLX rider and had the chance to visit their Carlsbad office and ask Jan Fordeno about his set up. He uses a Crono Elite aero bottle on the down tube and said it had no aero penalty. So I would start there to add some additional hydration. The Canyon proprietary rear holder seems like a decent option as well but they are out of stock.

-Of course it's 'effing hard, it's IRONMAN!
Team ZOOT
ZOOT, QR, Garmin, HED Wheels, Zealios, FormSwim, Precision Hydration, Rudy Project
Quote Reply
Re: will i get an aero penalty? (canyon speedmax with BTA) [Bryancd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes, I know that for aero bottle, read it a few weeks here.
The thing is that I have both of this behind the seat holders (original one and as well x-lab carbon wing 400), I just wander about drag differences among this two
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey Bojan, sorry for the offtop, I'm also the Canyon Speedmax owner.
1)Do you have Spacer Kit for armpads (60mm)?
I have standard and it seems that it a little bit low for me, so I have pain in my back after 50-60 km.
2)Do you feel comfortable during 180km of bike in aero position?
3) is it L bend e113 extensions? Are they more comfortable for you in comparison to S bend?

thanks/Спасибо :)
Quote Reply
Re: will i get an aero penalty? (canyon speedmax with BTA) [NickMa] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
NickMa wrote:
Hey Bojan, sorry for the offtop, I'm also the Canyon Speedmax owner.
1)Do you have Spacer Kit for armpads (60mm)?
I have standard and it seems that it a little bit low for me, so I have pain in my back after 50-60 km.
2)Do you feel comfortable during 180km of bike in aero position?
3) is it L bend e113 extensions? Are they more comfortable for you in comparison to S bend?

thanks/Спасибо :)

1. Yes, I raised them a little bit
2. Absolutely. I ride Canyon 4 years now (my old one was also a speedmax) and frame geometry suits me well
3.Yes, it's L bend, for me it is more comfortable since I do not have to rotate my hands forward

No prob :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Since I am also a Speedmax CF SLX owner and I can't get Canyon's original seat bottle cage holder locally (I called them yesterday and they do not expect this item to be in stock anytime soon)
I am going to follow up this thread to see if anyone's came up with an alternative.

Follow me on IG: @Commandersnake
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have the Canyon and wonder what you feel is inconvenient?
Seems to work well for me. Not that you are wrong, but am curious to your thoughts.

Team Zoot So Cal
Quote Reply
Re: will i get an aero penalty? (canyon speedmax with BTA) [Karl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Karl wrote:
I have the Canyon and wonder what you feel is inconvenient?
Seems to work well for me. Not that you are wrong, but am curious to your thoughts.

Somehow I find it easier to pull out a BTA and drink than to use the straw (I know that it sounds stupid but it how it is). Next, it's really difficult to drink last 0.2lit since it is at the bottom and you have to push the straw all the way down and because of that I have to lean forward more than I want. That's one downsize. Next one is refilling. It's a lot easier to trash one BTA and put another one at the aid station than to fill the canyon's one.

To be honest, these are all details, and I could off course live with it but I was just asking in order to improve something which is pretty good. I am good at the bike, usually among the fastest ones in my AG, and just looking for some marginal gains :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You could just leave the front hydration system on, but empty of liquids and add a BTA up top. The little extra weight of the hydration system may offset the aero-ness of the setup. Just a thought...

Blog: http://262toboylstonstreet.blogspot.com/
https://twitter.com/NateThomasTri
Coaching: https://bybtricoaching.com/ - accepting athletes for 2023
Quote Reply
Re: will i get an aero penalty? (canyon speedmax with BTA) [natethomas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
natethomas wrote:
You could just leave the front hydration system on, but empty of liquids and add a BTA up top. The little extra weight of the hydration system may offset the aero-ness of the setup. Just a thought...

actually that crossed my mind yesterday. I will give it a try. Thanks for the help
Quote Reply