Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
will Macca return to Kona in 2013?
Quote | Reply
What does a man do when he has achieved it all in a sport? Once the Olympics pass, can anyone see Macca just retiring? His personality seems to suggest he'll keep racing until he no longer places in the top 20.

Will he then return to Kona and try to keep outsmarting competitors?
Quote Reply
Re: will Macca return to Kona in 2013? [%FTP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's anyone's guess, but I hope he returns to Kona. When he was dominating short course, it was hard to picture him racing in Kona. After all the ups and downs he's had in Kona, now it's hard to picture him not in Kona.
Quote Reply
Re: will Macca return to Kona in 2013? [Bucky] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sure hope so

ihatecoldwater
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
him and craig alexander for 2013 would be nice
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No. Chris Mccormack will not be racing any WTC events again. Just a guess, but I have some reasons for this one.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
New Training/Racing Log - http://www.earthdaykid.com/blog --- Old Training/Racing Log - http://colinlaughery.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Re: will Macca return to Kona in 2013? [claughery] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
could you please elaborate on that a little more
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Interesting...
My guess is - he will race iron-distance succesfully in 2013 (puting to good use his re-developed short-course speed) ;-)
Last edited by: Shony: Feb 3, 12 11:59
Quote Reply
Re: will Macca return to Kona in 2013? [S.GUMP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Macca and WTC are probably not on the best terms right now. I think that is about all I can say

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
New Training/Racing Log - http://www.earthdaykid.com/blog --- Old Training/Racing Log - http://colinlaughery.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Whether Macca is or is not on great terms with the guys at WTC, they'd be pretty crazy to not have him in the race.

...in any case, at this point, Macca would have to at least finish one other WTC IM to validate his slot for this year's event. Maybe this is the sticky point?
Quote Reply
Re: will Macca return to Kona in 2013? [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
when is the 2012 London team finalized?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
%FTP wrote:
when is the 2012 London team finalized?

Exactly. Forget about 2013, will he return in 2012....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
He had a reply on facebook that said that if he isn't on the Olympic team he'll be going back to long course racing.
Then he mentioned how he likes the Ironman distance.

It was on facebook so it's gotta be true.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
He'll make money to show up no matter how well he does. Plus even during bad years, as long as he doesn't drop out, he's top 10. That's solid.
Quote Reply
Re: will Macca return to Kona in 2013? [DuDooD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DuDooD wrote:
He had a reply on facebook that said that if he isn't on the Olympic team he'll be going back to long course racing.
Then he mentioned how he likes the Ironman distance.

He actually said those words in a competitor radio podcast. I hope he does go back to Kona this year as he and Crowie racing again would be great. Maybe WTC will allow former champions to race without having to validate a spot.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I wonder if he'll return in 2012. If he doesn't make the olympics he should have plenty of time start training 'long'

He said he was racing IMNYC (when it was first announced). It's the same week as the olympics, but if he doesn't make the team, I bet he'd get a big appearance fee that might make it worth his time to race. And then he's validated his kona slot, so he could race Kona.
Quote Reply
Re: will Macca return to Kona in 2013? [SpicedRum] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If Macca RACES IMNYC, I am not sure he will have the legs to do a good day in Kona. Perhaps "racing the swim and bike" and then doing the Andreas Ralaert moonwalk run split might work.

Even Ralaert doing that in Regensburg was cutting it pretty close so soon after Roth. We could argue it played into his Kona run....although we could also argue that he took Alii drive way too hard. In any case, I'd imagine that Macca has a beef with the validation thing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
SpicedRum wrote:
I wonder if he'll return in 2012. If he doesn't make the olympics he should have plenty of time start training 'long'

He said he was racing IMNYC (when it was first announced). It's the same week as the olympics, but if he doesn't make the team, I bet he'd get a big appearance fee that might make it worth his time to race. And then he's validated his kona slot, so he could race Kona.

I'd wager there's way more money in racing IMNYC than returning to Kona. IMNYC is interesting timing. It has the potential to potentially disrupt Kona. Unless I was confident i'd be racing for a podium spot in Kona, I'd be looking hard at NYC. Add in the potential appearance fees, etc from companies that want the exposure of a NYC race, and I can see folks opting for NYC. But, as Dev said, I don't think you can do NYC and do Kona well. It's just too close. But given how big NYC could be, I could see it becoming a very big race, and I wonder how that will play out. There's pluses and minuses to that...

"Non est ad astra mollis e terris via." - Seneca | rappstar.com | FB - Rappstar Racing | IG - @jordanrapp
Quote Reply
Re: will Macca return to Kona in 2013? [Rappstar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
it will be interesting to see what pros show up for IMNYC. I agree that it could disrupt Kona, and even more so Vegas. IMNYC is 10 weeks before Kona this year, but only 4 before Vegas. I'd bet who shows up depends a lot on who's qualified for Kona. And who else says they are going to show up.
Quote Reply
Re: will Macca return to Kona in 2013? [Rappstar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
He's returning in 2012. Or are you still believing the "I'm going to the Olympics" routine???
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In theory, IMNYC is 'only' going to effect (or affect, I don't know in this case!) the last 5 women and 10 men in the rankings who are trying to get to Kona. Granted, there could be some bigger players in there, but I think like Jordan said...the $$ potential and exposure for a good showing (for any pro) could be quite good for IMNYC. It is an interesting move by WTC to put that race at that time and name it the North American Championship. Those who are a little 'sour' on Kona, a few come to mind, I'm betting will be at IMNYC.

Brandon Marsh - Website | @BrandonMarshTX | RokaSports | 1stEndurance | ATC Bikeshop |
Quote Reply
Re: will Macca return to Kona in 2013? [-Tex] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There is no way IMNYC is as big as Kona. Not now, anyway. Kona is about history and tradition. And for all its problems a legitimate pro triathlete must compete in Kona to be taken seriously by sponsors. Winning races when all the other pros are off competing with each other does not provide the inspirational backdrop necessary for real ascendance in sponsorship, in my estimation.
Quote Reply
Re: will Macca return to Kona in 2013? [Chuck Finley] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Maybe, maybe not. There was no mention of Kona in the AP last year, or I don't think so. There was no mention in the NY Times or WSJ. Of that I am pretty sure.

I would be willing to bet that the winners of IMNYC will be in print in both of those. It would also make sense for the winners of IMNYC to be on one of the many Nationally syndicated TV shows that take place in NYC. I don't remember Crowie or Chrissie being on those. Macca was, but it was when his book came out...and maybe due to his agent.

So, maybe in respect to the 'small' isolated triathlon community that everyone says is a 'niche' sport, you are correct. But, I just have a feeling that if WTC and the pros who win the race play the cards right, the exposure potential for the sport and the pros at IMNYC has a bigger reach than at Kona.

Brandon Marsh - Website | @BrandonMarshTX | RokaSports | 1stEndurance | ATC Bikeshop |
Quote Reply
Re: will Macca return to Kona in 2013? [-Tex] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's an interesting point. By putting an Ironman race in the massive media market that is NYC it will likely get some coverage in the 'local' media. However, the NYC local media is the centre of the US media landscape.

From a sponsor's point of view, is that more valuable than competing in Kona?
Quote Reply

Prev Next