Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

wildflower ride vs. lake placid
Quote | Reply
I just got back from WF, the ride was tougher than I thought. The rain did not help but never the less the ride was tough. I have IMUSA on my calendar this year. Can any compare the two rides for me. Oh Yeah, please let it not rain at LP! Bring back the drought!!

Thanks
Quote Reply
Re: wildflower ride vs. lake placid [tristeve] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
A bit of a delayed response to your query about the IM USA vs. WF course. I have NOT done WF so this has to be taken as such, but I frankly did not think IM USA's ride was that brutal. It is very scenic and has lots of nice variety, so you won't be bored on the two lap format. The climb back into town up what they call baby bear, momma bear and papa bear is steady. If you pace yourself well, take advantage of the downhills, you should find it very rideable to a fast time. I'm guessing the WF course to be quite a bit tougher. One word of caution on LP, take it easy at the 1/2 way and the end of the bike as you come through town, there were some errant spectators that run accross the road and my wife witnessed two pretty nasty crashes caused by these people. It's only for a short way that you go through these crowds, sit up and enjoy them, then get back to business once you are back out on the open road. Good luck. I love the race.
Quote Reply
Re: wildflower ride vs. lake placid [pdxjohn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have been there the last three years as a spectator. I think every year there has been at least one crash on the turn that goes up to behind the school. I think part of the problem is people are fooling with their special needs bags and not ready for this turn which can be tricky. Most of the people were going too fast and lost control. It is amazing to watch the difference between say Steve Larsen, who comes through at full speed, and the other pros, some of whom sit up, and the age groupers, some of whom come almost to a stop at this corner.

--------------
Frank,
An original Ironman and the Inventor of PowerCranks
Quote Reply
Re: wildflower ride vs. lake placid [Frank Day] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Frank, I agree on that dicey little right hander. Larsen may blow through there but he's not among a bunch of squirrelly AGers. You're tired at this point too, having just crowned the Papa bear climb. For the guy not trying to make a living at it, I think it's really best to use that stretch as a recovery area and play it safe. Other IM's have their scary spots too. Usually it's in and around the transitions or passing a large body of people at an intersection. In LP's case, that is just a really crowded spot in town as they marshall a huge crowd in to a relatively tight spot, so people tend to take liberty running accross the street for a better view etc. It gets to be kind of a mad house once the run starts. I loved it though, good enthusiasm!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Twice as long!

"which is like watching one of your buddies announce that he's quitting booze and cigarettes, switching to a Vegan diet and training for triathalons ... but he's going to keep snorting heroin." Bill Simmons, ESPN
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
LP has about half the average gradient as WF, according to the topo maps. I've ridden part of WF and a lot of the surrounding countryside, but not the actual race. For its distance, I think it would be much harder than LP. If LP were a half IM course, I could have ridden 2:45. By having to go two laps, I went 3:02 and 3:20. There are no "brutal" climbs, but they're long and hot and tiring and you have to do them twice.

BTW -- the rain last year at LP was a blessing! It keeps you cool on the bike. The sun came out on the run and hundreds of people (like me) just stopped running and walked it in.

Put in some nice long hilly rides this summer!
Quote Reply